talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How do you discover new music?

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I'll have a look in genre radio station's playlists, and then be looking for songs that might be of interest. Good thing is I'm seldomly completely disappointed with the songs, flip side I stick with the kind of music I'm generally liking and almost never discover good songs of music styles I don't hear habitually.

• Administrator

Spotify, mainly. 

It's the main platform I use for all music anyway. 

There's a playlist out each Friday called 'Release Radar', amongst several others, which helps find new music. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Usually I'll have a look in genre radio station's playlists, and then be looking for songs that might be of interest. Good thing is I'm seldomly completely disappointed with the songs, flip side I stick with the kind of music I'm generally liking and almost never discover good songs of music styles I don't hear habitually.

See, that's the issue for me - I get bored of the same genres after a while, and want to find completely new music. Like now, hence why I started this thread xD

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Spotify, mainly. 

It's the main platform I use for all music anyway. 

There's a playlist out each Friday called 'Release Radar', amongst several others, which helps find new music. 

Yeah, I subscribe to Release Radar, Discover Weekly, New Music Friday and several other playlists on Spotify, but I feel like it's kinda going in loops and I'm stuck with the same music again and again. 

In addition, I mostly use everynoise.com, Rate Your Music, Album of the Year sites to check out new releases and different genres. + Bandcamp, several radio stations and music publications.

Also, today I found discoverifymusic.com which basically makes a Discover Daily playlist based on your Spotify stats, which is pretty cool! 

I often listen to a radio station that plays a lot of new music. 

Apart from that Youtube recommendations, or I discover something in a TV series or movie. 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

See, that's the issue for me - I get bored of the same genres after a while, and want to find completely new music. Like now, hence why I started this thread xD

Try Deutschlandfunk, they have a comparatevely wide spectrum of often times not that famous bands in their portfolio. Has the advantage of them not knowing your spotify history and using no algorithm to suit your taste.:)

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Try Deutschlandfunk, they have a comparatevely wide spectrum of often times not that famous bands in their portfolio.

Good call, but too much talking and too little music for my liking 😅At least it used to be like that several years ago when I listened to it...

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I often listen to a radio station that plays a lot of new music. 

Apart from that Youtube recommendations, or I discover something in a TV series or movie. 

Which radio station?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Of course they're also the about 47 Radio Bob genre streams. Music only interrupted by occasional adds. From Punk to Singer/Songwriter. About 47 streams because I didn't count the streams dedicated to a special band.:)

Ohhhh this looks good! Will check it out, thanks! :D 

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

1LIVE, and there's also 1LIVE DIGGI which has less talking and more music. 

Taugen die was? Asking, because I react with allergic rash to the myriads of radio stations that sacked their music redactions to  noodle down always the same garbage the music industry tell them to play under the claim these were  " the hits of the 80's, 90's and the best of today."

Very occassionally through music journalism (like a review says an album I like sounds like (x) or that a band I like were inspired by (y)) but generally it's just flicking through lots of Youtube and Spotfiy recommendations.

Funnily I find the Spotify radio feature (i.e. when it just keeps picking the next song after your queue is finished) much better for finding new music than the Discover Weekly playlist it makes you. 

• Subscriber

Three avenues for me

1. Spotify/Apple Music/YouTube/Forums - I follow a lot of content creators who review music styles and techniques so they are always reviewing stuff that I myself personally have never heard. Then I take the band and just work backwards from there, sometimes it's a hit and sometimes it's a one-hit wonder.
  2. Gigging/Jams - This is where I get most of my music recos from. You'll meet folks who are listening to something outside the scope of what's happening in a jam room or gig. This is how I got into Mastedon a few years ago. I'd have never really actively gone and listened to them even though I knew who they were. 
  3. Trade Shops - This one is weird but it's also quite relevant. I go to events organized where folks are offloading their older music or just want to trade equipment and you'll hear about bands/acts you normally wouldn't even have come across (yes even on Spotify). You'll find a lot of older music this way.

7 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Taugen die was? Asking, because I react with allergic rash to the myriads of radio stations that sacked their music redactions to  noodle down always the same garbage the music industry tell them to play under the claim these were  " the hits of the 80's, 90's and the best of today."

Ehhh, they play mostly new-ish music, but quite mainstream. The 80's, 90's and best of today thing sounds like every local radio station. xD

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Ehhh, they play mostly new-ish music, but quite mainstream. The 80's, 90's and best of today thing sounds like every local radio station. xD

The bolded part is the issue. Nowadays almost every radio station sounds exactly the same, in my younger days they were much more distinctable due to the music they selected before public broadcasters decided to cut costs by sacking music journalists. But that was enough of grandfather telling about the past for today.xD

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Spike said:

Forums, journals, reviewers, personal recommendations , the new Spotify AI DJ, 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Reddit & the spotify DJ playlist that uses an AI DJ to try to replicate a radio DJ.

Not available outside the US & Canada yet 😭

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Not available outside the US & Canada yet 😭

Probably for the best if you let us test it out first since in the last month it's gone from "this is pretty shit" to "this is cool, but sometimes it's pretty shit still"

33 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Reddit & the spotify DJ playlist that uses an AI DJ to try to replicate a radio DJ.

Hey I see you like indie rock, coming up next is Modest Mouse
I see you’re into Modest Mouse, so coming up next is indie rock starting with The Strokes
The next vibe I have for you is The Strokes and indie rock, starting with modest mouse

Archived