talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield Wednesday Discussion

football forum

• Administrator

Feel like I heard they had a bit of a rift some point last season but can't see anything about it. 

Interesting he's not being given a chance in the Championship if there hasn't been a disagreement though. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The title was changed to Darren Moore Leaves Sheffield Wednesday
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Sheffield Wednesday Discussion
  • 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Stan said:

EFL have to find a way to step in here. It's sheer dereliction of duty on his behalf. 

Yeah, to have a chairman asking the fans for money (because everyone has £100 to give a football club down the back of the sofa) and give a thinly veiled threat in the process for your own failings is pretty bad really.

You'd think the EFL should do something, but we all know they'll do nothing.

Wednesday fans do make you laugh though. Not sure what planet they are on but they seem to think they are absolutely massive and yet they couldn't be more fairweather if they tried.

More than happy to shout about the numbers they take to Wembley or for a home playoff game yet all I see is empty seats at Hillsborough majority of the time.

They've not come close to reaching the Hillsborough cappacity this season in seven home games, average is 26,627 for a ground that can essentially hold 39k (Currently reduced to 34k on safety measures)

Chansiri is a bit of a chancer, no doubts about that, and I'd definitely question some of his business decisions but it's a bit rich of Wednesday fans to bleat and get their violins out when they aren't even backing their club to the max.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Wednesday fans do make you laugh though. Not sure what planet they are on but they seem to think they are absolutely massive and yet they couldn't be more fairweather if they tried.

More than happy to shout about the numbers they take to Wembley or for a home playoff game yet all I see is empty seats at Hillsborough majority of the time.

They've not come close to reaching the Hillsborough cappacity this season in seven home games, average is 26,627 for a ground that can essentially hold 39k (Currently reduced to 34k on safety measures)

Chansiri is a bit of a chancer, no doubts about that, and I'd definitely question some of his business decisions but it's a bit rich of Wednesday fans to bleat and get their violins out when they aren't even backing their club to the max.

I mean spending the last 23 years bouncing between League 1 and the Championship isn’t exactly the sign of a big club. All well and good saying a club has history or a big fanbase but if you spend two decades being shit then that‘s what you are now lol. Championship is a funny old place.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

The attendance isn't bad for the Championship , there's only about 5 teams who have better numbers in the Championship and those teams are in cities that only have one team, Leeds, Southampton Sunderland.  Wednesday's attendence has never been much more than 30,000, you have to go back 70 years when it last averaged over 40,000.  There's no doubt Wednesday has seen better days , they haven't really been all that good since the early 90's , kind of like Leeds. Bad ownership, money pissed away on poor transfers, a stadium that needs repair, Leppings Lane end is a disgrace, doesn't seem like it has been changed much since the tragedy.

Wednesday pale in comparison to United, that look to be a well run club with a modern stadium and an enthusiastic fan base.  United being more successful the last decade has helped attract new fans, though who you family support still plays big in a divided city, a Wednesday United wise. Years ago when they were both in division one, there was talk of combining the two clubs and building a new stadium down Attercliffe . The built the stadium but nobody wanted to play in it and irpt was demolished in 2013. 

Wedneday has the same problems of many old big teams, the lower divisions are full of teams I used to watch as a kid in the old First Division.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Danny said:

I mean spending the last 23 years bouncing between League 1 and the Championship isn’t exactly the sign of a big club. All well and good saying a club has history or a big fanbase but if you spend two decades being shit then that‘s what you are now lol. Championship is a funny old place.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but I recall having a conversation when Forest were promoted and you argued they were still a big club, and me saying they weren't purely on the basis that they'd done what you state above - 20+ years in Championship and/or League One despite their history in the 70s/80s?

If it wasn't you, ignore xD 

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apologies if I'm wrong, but I recall having a conversation when Forest were promoted and you argued they were still a big club, and me saying they weren't purely on the basis that they'd done what you state above - 20+ years in Championship and/or League One despite their history in the 70s/80s?

If it wasn't you, ignore xD 

Who knows what I’ve argued on here but it doesn’t sound like something I’d say xD Especially after the Brennan Johnson thread

It's all to do with age I think.

Unai Emery at 51, would have been starting high school (or whatever is 11 in Spain) when Villa were European champions. Late teens to early 20's when they were English league runners up a few times within a decade of that. And would be aware of the years following that, of often being in the Big 6, before Chelsea & Man City created need for the Big 6 to be officially recognised as a thing, to appease certain other clubs fans, and that more 'Champions League' spots were available.

But someone 25 & under, Villa is not much without a history lesson.

If I was a lower level manager I would tend toward sides like Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland & even in non league: Oldham Athletic as being something of a big name. But right now, Burnley, Wolves & Brentford are now being looked at & will be thought of in that way by the current kids.

On 02/11/2023 at 14:02, Lucas said:

Regardless of what you think of Sheffield Wednesday fans, they don't deserve to have this narcissist acting like a spoilt victorian child by turning the taps off and making these smart-arse patronising comments.

We all know how rough the last couple of years has been for people, and for a lot of people there one escape from the modern world is supporting their football club. To have somebody born in to a life of privilege that bought a football club because Daddy gave him to the money to go round behaving like this because his ego got hurt is nothing short of a disgrace.

I'd even sympathise for Charlton fans in this circumstance, and I have no good will towards them what so ever.