talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Threads

football forum

• Subscriber

I'm going to start by saying that I think Twitter is a toxic cesspool partnered with some great content (none of which comes from actual content creators since they do their best work elsewhere and just post on it to drive you there). Having said that, I think Threads is an experiment by Meta to discover what applying a fresh coat of paint on an already working mechanic can do to boost hype. Elon isn't helping the situation either.

Discuss.

I used to love Twitter, even though it was always a toxic shithole. When Musk bought twitter and made some of the changes, particularly making the blue checkmark worthless for anyone other than Musk & then promoting the content of anyone who paid for the blue checkmark - it just really brought the platform crashing down imo.

I think there's quite a few of potential alternatives. There's Mastodon, but that seems unnecessarily complicated. And I think when I was looking at it, it was invite only (dunno if it still is) and I had no invite. There's BlueSky that Jack Dorsy is behind. There's Trump's twitter clone & now this Threads clone.

So far on the early days of Threads, it seems like a good Twitter replacement. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it being linked to my IG account but my IG is private so I guess it's okay because if some rando tries to just add me, I won't accept them.

1 hour ago, Honey Honey said:

I downloaded it but you can't join unless you have an Instagram account so I deleted it.

It won't just let you create a threads account? That's a bit stupid.

It's also a bit stupid that I can't send a tweet (I'm not going to call it a thread) to someone else in the app. I have to either use Instagram, WhatsApp, or just send it by SMS. Other than that... it's pretty much just Twitter with a slightly cleaner app.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's also a bit stupid that I can't send a tweet (I'm not going to call it a thread) to someone else in the app. I have to either use Instagram, WhatsApp, or just send it by SMS. Other than that... it's pretty much just Twitter with a slightly cleaner app.

This right here is one of the biggest drawbacks coupled with the fact that you can't have a unique Threads account vs a linked IG account. I think they want a universal login like Google did but if they wanted that then why allow users to create IG accounts uniquely and FB accounts uniquely too? Makes no sense but we shall see where it goes.

The thing that put me off Twitter in regards to a platform like Reddit is that overtime it became full of toxic people and people chasing clout. I don't understand how some people can absorb so much negativity in there every day life. The lack of effort to combat toxic abuse (including racism) was poor.

I still have a reddit account, the people on the channels I visit seem to have a higher level IQ but I very rarely post on it now and just use the platform to access useful information because every channel seems to have an issue with people who have become moderators that think they're an almighty power because of it.

Meta seems to be a combination of the worst of both worlds. You Facebook Pages which has a cringeworthy problem with moderators and both facebook/instagram have horrendous examples of people being verbally abused by faceless accounts. Again, the company could do so much more to combat this but choose not to. The amount of fraudulent attempts on Facebook Marketplace that could easily be prevented is inexcusable.

With that in mind I think threads will have a similar fate to all other platforms. It'll be fun at first but over time develop the same problems, but by then people will be hooked and the revenue streams will persuade them not to tackle any issues that could affect sponsorship.

Twitter was awesome before Musk bought it and chose to make himself a case study of how to torch your reputation and your investment at the same time... $44 billion he paid. For that he could have bought every single club in the premier league. And he has made only bad decisions since then, so obviously bad that have to evaluate:

A) is Elon actually smart? If so I guess these bad decisions are deliberate and part of a plan.

B) is he really that dim and that shit of a businessmen that he genuinely thinks these are good ideas

Threads seems afflicted by that same fake happiness and vanity of Instagram imo. You can't be anonymous, and you can't post anything explicit, and the head of the platform says they don't really want politics or breaking news on it. 🤔

On 08/07/2023 at 07:40, Harry said:

the head of the platform says they don't really want politics or breaking news on it. 🤔

Not the worst thing in the world for a social media platform. The way it's been intertwined into everything and amplified some of the shittiest political beliefs (like neo-Nazis/ethnonationalism/the weird shit that tankies believe) is pretty grotesque.

As for Elon Musk, I think he's somewhere in between A and B. Honestly though, I think he's abusing stimulants and it's affecting his decision making.

• Subscriber

Threads seems to have died off a little since the hype on launch day and the couple of days after. At least it has for the people I'm following as they've not posted as much. I'm still using Twitter more currently albeit reluctantly.

On 14/07/2023 at 06:49, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not the worst thing in the world for a social media platform. The way it's been intertwined into everything and amplified some of the shittiest political beliefs (like neo-Nazis/ethnonationalism/the weird shit that tankies believe) is pretty grotesque.

As for Elon Musk, I think he's somewhere in between A and B. Honestly though, I think he's abusing stimulants and it's affecting his decision making.

True but I just see that same head in the sand mentality as Instagram. I.e. "only put out good vibes" which is akin to the conversation you have with the last at the supermarket checkout rather than one you have with someone you know well 

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

True but I just see that same head in the sand mentality as Instagram. I.e. "only put out good vibes" which is akin to the conversation you have with the last at the supermarket checkout rather than one you have with someone you know well 

I never got that vibe from Twitter encounters tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

it became a parody of itself when people got bored because their was no online mudslinging due to being a "safe space"

I had Twitter back in like 2007 then deleted it, had Facebook but deleted it before pokes were a thing.  deleted Instagram a few years ago, and tried tik-tok during lockdown when my company wanted to do spirit building things, but since lockdown for us was only 3 months before things were normal again I could delete that crap.

Whatsapp and Kaizala(work) is what I use.