• I love them
    • They're okay
    • I don't like them
    • I hate them
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are outdated and a very "primitive" way to amuse the masses. They cause extensive air pollution in a short amount of time, leaving metal particles, dangerous toxins, harmful chemicals, and smoke in the air for days. Some of the toxins in fireworks never are able to fully decompose and can stay in the environment for decades, continuously poisoning the air around them. Plus they scare the shit out of domestic and wild animals. 

• Subscriber

Loved them more when I was a wee nipper on guy fawkes night, that was the in thing in them days but now it's all organized displays nowadays, I love it on New Years night and seeing Edinburgh Castle firework displays or for any other celebrations.

I enjoy them. They are primitive in a good sense that night sky is fascinating to watch. 

If handled incompletely they can be dangerous though. My cousin in a wedding was holding a flare type thing in his hand and it exploded burning his whole hand lol go on show off more

9 minutes ago, Devil said:

I don't get as buzzed as other people about them.

I know people who spend hundreds of Euros on fireworks for New Years Eve. Mental. For a few seconds of pew pew. 

• Subscriber

Experiencing fireworks makes me feel similar to experiencing a massive thunderstorm - it's powerful, electrifying and exciting for the monkey brain, and it also feels like magic. 

• Subscriber

The wrong side of fireworks and bonfires happened to me while on a tour of duty in Northern Ireland, in 1974, on a 4 man mobile patrol in Belfast and we were called to look at an incident in the north of the city that could have ended up as a potential accident.

We ended up at the side of a house where people had built an enormous bonfire and were ready to light it and set off fireworks, our group captain tried to explain to the dozen or more people which included adults that you can't set a bonfire alight on the side of a building.

We were told to fuck off and the crowd was ready to lob bricks and whatnot at us so our group captain decided to leg it quick smart and leave the incident in the hands of the Irish Belfast police to sort it out, speeding away on the land rover and I was the back marker on the back of the rover standing with my rifle and leaning on a bar built at the back.

Then 2 kids with sticks and bricks chased after us and one grabbed the back of the rover calling us all the names under the sun like "You English bastards..." and ended up being dragged along, I ended up stomping on the little bastard's fingers with my size 11 army boots to get him to let go which he did still calling us all the names under the sun.

We heard from the Irish RUC that when they got there they had already lit the bonfire and were setting off the fireworks, the RUC then called the Fire Department to deal with the fire and it all ended up as a mini riot, all over a fucking bonfire and fireworks. :coffee:  :shoot:

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I know people who spend hundreds of Euros on fireworks for New Years Eve. Mental. For a few seconds of pew pew. 

Yeah, I enjoy them. Like I loved the Disney displays and the good ones at New years eve but I'd never ever spend money on them like you have just mentioned. My old neighbour was the same by the way, he'd spend literally hundreds for New years eve.

I'd be looking at his kids wearing tatty trainers thinking spend your money better mate.

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

Firework shows, yes. Every drunk local  yokel setting off fireworks from their bbq for days straight during American independence, no.

leave it to the professionals 

This basically hits the nail in one, same in the UK but bonfire night and new years eve.

Archived