talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forums

On 17/10/2022 at 13:17, Cicero said:

Christ the generation Z fanbase makes this show unbearable at times. 

"YAAAS QUEEN SLAYYYYY"

"DRACARYS BITCHHHH"

"TEAM DAEMON"

"RHAENYS GIVING ME DAENERYS VIBES. AHHHHHMAAZZING"

"RHYENARA IS MY QUEEEN"

Reveal hidden contents

No doubt the majority of these fuckwits were fans of the rapist Khal Drogo. 

Don't the blacks win, but she dies?

It was alright - better than the last 3 seasons of GoT for sure.

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

Watched the show over christmas break, quite enjoyed it actually. The pacing was maybe a tad slow but the characters where overall fairly well done. The actor change was a bit jaring at first and I far preferred the younger Rhaernyra actress so maybe that was my main gripe. Overall a bit of a surprise and a good chunk better then the last few seasons of GOT. 

22 hours ago, 6666 said:

Can't decide if I want to see Otto Hightower or Cristen Cole die more.

Older Rhaenyra looks like the trans girl from Euphoria.

Daemon vs. Aemond please.

Most likely going to be a filler season. 

• 6 months later...
10 hours ago, Cicero said:

"he met with his British publisher to talk about The Winds of Winter. He doesn’t say anything about how close it is to being done, just that he talked about it. That conversation could have involved him handing over a manuscript, or it could have involved his publisher sitting across from Martin and weeping out of fear that the book will never be finished. We do not know."

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Season 2 premier next Sunday. 

Reveal hidden contents

Going to be an absolute blood bath.

I've just finished rewatching the first series. I'd forgotten how good it was to be honest. I'm quite happy that I've forgotten even more of what I knew about the story because now I can go into this season not really knowing what to expect.

The trailers look really good so hopefully the standard remains high. Always a nice change to watch a series that comes out once a week as well to build the suspense between episodes.

• Subscriber
On 11/06/2024 at 18:32, RandoEFC said:

I've just finished rewatching the first series. I'd forgotten how good it was to be honest. I'm quite happy that I've forgotten even more of what I knew about the story because now I can go into this season not really knowing what to expect.

The trailers look really good so hopefully the standard remains high. Always a nice change to watch a series that comes out once a week as well to build the suspense between episodes.

I'm going to rewatch over the next week.

I watched the first episode last night and realised that i had forgotten a lot of the characters and story.

• 4 weeks later...

Still watching, reminds me of season 7 of GOT. High production, but dumbed down a lot and mid. 

2 major annoyances so far this season 

Spoiler

1. Every episode has to end in some major dramatic moment. GOT was not like that (for the first 4 seasons anyway). There used to be plot threads that unwound over the course of many seasons, the course of a season, the course of a few episodes, and in a single episode. Every episode of HOTD some dumb shit gets picked up and then resolved. The 2 queens meeting in the sept was the most ridiculous contrived BS I have seen, and explained away by 'oh our spy knows her movements' and 'pls don't scream I could stab u'. 

2. At every turn the show tries to keep everything balanced. No good guy no bad guy just a string of woopsie daiseys. Despite all these being horrific crimes. For every good moment one side has the other must have one, and the same for bad. It's incredibly boring. 

• Subscriber

I'm enjoying it. I think the cast do a good job and I enjoyed the battle scenes at the end of the previous episode. I do agree that it doesn't quite hit the heights of the first half of Game of Thrones where the audience and their attention span were trusted to value suspense and intrigue, and that a few "junk food TV" elements remain but I still find it solid television and a big improvement on the dumpster fire of late Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The penultimate episode of the season was good.

I enjoyed the Oscar Tully and Daemon stuff at Harrenhal.

All of the dragon-taming sequence was pretty good as well and then they obviously had the money shot to close the episode.

The main criticism I agree with from this season has been them spending too much time with Daemon, Alicent and Rhaenyra when they haven't been doing much. They've done very little to develop Aegon, Aemond, Heleana, Jacerys, Baela, Rhaena who are obviously important characters. It's going to make it less satisfying if and when they hit their big character moments.

Still think it's hard to be too down on the show as the cast have done well and the visuals are top tier.

15 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Felt like a filler season, hope it doesn't get cancelled though

Doubt it gets canceled, especially with it basically being a giant cliff hanger of a season all setting up the 3rd season.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doubt it gets canceled, especially with it basically being a giant cliff hanger of a season all setting up the 3rd season.

Hopefully not but Halo got cancelled after missing the mark in the 2nd season which is a shame but thrones does have a bigger following so fingers crossed

• Subscriber

Yeah I don't think any of that season was bad but they definitely got the pacing off.

That would have been a solid episode 8 if they followed the traditional GoT season format where episode 9 out of 10 is a major set piece with the battle at Harrenhal/God's Eye.

I don't know if there's budgetary reasons why they only did 8 episodes but I suspect they're saying some story points for season 3 in an attempt to stretch this from 3 to 4 seasons of television.

The last episode wasn't a bad episode but it wasn't a great season finale either. You'd take that if it came after a big set piece episode. I can see why people are pissed off and calling it filler. I think it's a bit shit really that they make you wait 2 years for the next season and also cut down from 10 episodes to 8.

Aemond Targaryan only had 22 minutes of screentime this season. Aemond Targaryan...... In a Dance of Dragons......Getting less than half an hour of screen time...... 

Says it all really. Not to worry. The endless Daemon hallucinations leading up to a pointless long night/Dany and her dragons vision certainly made up for it. 

• Subscriber

Yeah I wont stop watching it but this whole season moved at a snails pace. It felt like how far they moved the story along could have been done in a few episodes let alone an entire season. Disappointing. 

• Subscriber

They clearly have a problem with spending too much time with their three main characters because of the actors - Rhaenyra, Daemon and Alicent. Daemon could have been left out of a couple of episodes completely. Some of Alicent's scenes were filler and the two scenes where Rhaenyra and Alicent met each other which I believe are entirely an invention of the show-writers felt contrived. Alicent should have been allowed to take a back seat. The story was ready to move on to Aegon, Heleana, Aemond, Jace, Baela, Rhaena, whose eventual claiming of Sheepstealer is going to feel random and unearned. Has anyone outside of the Vale mentioned Sheepstealer or a dragon outside of Dragonstone/King's Landing at all? They started setting that one up well back in season one but now people are going to say they just spawned a dragon there for her to tick a box.

It's difficult to adapt a story when main characters become less important and the story moves on to new characters, when your medium is television and your best/most reputable cast need screen time to justify the outlay on them. We saw this with Jaime going to Dorne in Game of Thrones for example. It's happening again in this season of HotD.

Very slow season. Light on the action and light on the political chess moves. Lack of intensity and tension in the season as well. The random lesbian kiss was a nice bonus but not enough to cover for 70% of the show being nothing.

Finished it today. Lord. Awful. I disagree with Rick saying it it better than the last 3 seasons of GOT. It's as bad as season 6 was. Worse than season 7. 

Every episode is new drama, rather than plots unfolding naturally. A new character will be introduced then die same episode, so almost nothing carries weight at all. Very very very very few of the significant characters are likable. At all. There are just so few reasons to watch the bloody thing I was happy it ended.