talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Bet Liverpool fan's are fuming for the team to just give up like this  

I'm honestly a bit surprised. You'd think after all the hard work put in that they'd push a bit more than they have but I gave up way before we got our Europa lickings. I said in another thread that you'll deserve the congratulations because you'll show up when it matters most. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Salah and Klopp arguing like that is embarrassing. This season really is ending on a low. 

What even happened? Any Liverpool journos have an inkling?

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

What even happened? Any Liverpool journos have an inkling?

No idea what it was about. Klopp played it down afterwards as you do, but Salah said something along the lines of “if I speak, there will be fire” to a reporter after the game. Pathetic from both of them to have such a public argument, and I don’t get what it was over as Salah was going on the pitch, not getting subbed off. 

I don't think it's a massive deal.

It's been a stressful few weeks at the club with the results they have had and someone like Salah has been so used to being the club's main man that it's a massive hit to the ego to keep being benched and seeing your side stumble. He's not used to it and tensions are a little fraught.

I'm sure they'll have smoothed it over by the next game. I don't think Klopp's the kind of guy to hold grudges with his players so it'll be more on Salah's part to apologise for his behaviour which I'm sure he will. After all, Klopp is the one leaving the club, Salah technically isn't so he shouldn't be looking to sour things.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Nunez was a pleb over the weekend and deleted all pictures of himself at Liverpool from his Instagram. Does it mean much? Probably just a childish pillock throwing a strop but it’s not a good look for him or us.

The fact of the matter is that if he had put away even half of the golden chances he’s fucked, then we would be at the top of the table. Some of his misses have been criminal and I’ve got serious reservations about us keeping him. Could be an idea to sell while he still has some value. 

Edited by Rick
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rick said:

Nunez was a pleb over the weekend and deleted all pictures of himself at Liverpool from his Instagram. Does it mean much? Probably just a childish pillock throwing a strop but it’s not a good look for him or us.

The fact of the matter is that if he had put away even half of the golden chances he’s fucked, then we would be at the top of the table. Some of his misses have been criminal and I’ve got serious reservations about us keeping him. Could be an idea to sell while he still has some value. 

Tbf I feel for him because he turned his comments off a few weeks ago because he was getting endless abuse. Removed the LFC pictures shortly after loads of hit pieces from our connected journos (which tbh seems like a bit of a leak from Edwards) about Nunez. He's probably not in the best mental place right now and he's probably a confidence player.

I'm fine with selling him though, he'd be one of the top strikers in Europe if he was clinical - but he's the opposite of clinical and like you say, some of those chances he's fluffed were golden chances. And he's just missed so many, even if he'd put away 1/5th of the chances he's spurned, we'd be a lot better off for it... let alone if he'd put away half of them. It's a shame because he's nearly a complete striker, he's got the athleticism and the movement to always be a threat... but he's not got the composure of a striker at all.

Watching random football nerds, who tbh... I don't think know much because they're just random idiots on youtubers who sometimes say contradictory things... do breakdowns of how Slot's teams like to set up, according to those people... he doesn't really fit in with how we're likely to look next season.

So I've got no issue with selling him. If we keep him, I almost think we're better off using him as a winger or throwing him into a central role as a substitute than relying on him as our main #9. You just can't trust that he'll put away golden opportunities that you'd trust a quality striker to put away. I've really just given up all hope on him getting better at his finishing.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Rick said:

I don't think he's being a pleb honestly. If you and your family got threats online there would be some kind of mental frustration associated with the fact that you're trying and it's not working for you and then the fanbase does what it does online. Don't think it helps the matter really. He's always been a hothead from day one and if he ever gets that under control and learns a bit of composure, I think he'd turn into a fantastic striker not just for us but for his country as well. The problem with becoming levelheaded imo is that if he goes down that route you might lose all that burst energy and relentless chasing that he has so having a manager that can teach him those things is very important. Klopp is gone now, and I don't know if Slot will want to rely on him as the guy to get him goals because his on-the-field antics don't scream reliable.

I personally like the guy, he chases, he doesn't give up and even if you gave him 100 chances and he fluffed 99 of them you can always know that he's not going to stop till the whistle blows. It's not ideal for a team vying for trophies every season but in a season where we've seen our best go from elite to school-yard level footballers he's shown more desire than a lot of them. If he turned into a provider vs goal-scorer I think we'd get the best out of him, but no one is going to want that from a player that can score goals and says they want to be a striker. 

I didn’t realise he was getting threats online. That’s obviously pathetic, but deleting all the photos is still a strange decision. Trolls will continue to comment and send him messages on his Uruguay pictures. That being said, it’s well out of order for anybody to be sending nasty message or threats to him or his family. 

I rate him for his work rate, for his running and pressing game. But for 80m his final ball and his finishing are both lacking massively. Yes, we have seen some good passes and goals from him, but that is in a sea of mediocrity. Maybe Slot has an idea how to use him and get more from him, but I tend to think that if Klopp couldn’t do it, then I don’t know if anybody else can. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Rick said:

I rate him for his work rate, for his running and pressing game. But for 80m his final ball and his finishing are both lacking massively. Yes, we have seen some good passes and goals from him, but that is in a sea of mediocrity. Maybe Slot has an idea how to use him and get more from him, but I tend to think that if Klopp couldn’t do it, then I don’t know if anybody else can. 

For the record, I am a bit disappointed he didn't continue his good form because had he done that we'd have been sitting very pretty with zero pressure going into the last few games to win the league, we'd have already won it. But I don't think Slot will use him based on what others are reporting and I saw some weird post stating Barcelona were interested. Probably a joke.

I personally think he's worth another season although the social media thing and recent body language may suggest he's been told he's off.

I'm not having that his misses alone are the reason Liverpool are out of the title race because a) other players have missed big chances and b) look at some of the goals we've conceded recently. People love a scapegoat though. 

It's easy to be blinkered by recent form because he and the team were very good for much of the season.

No he's not been as good as we'd have hoped yet for the price tag but he's also not as bad as he's being made out to be by some.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I personally think he's worth another season although the social media thing and recent body language may suggest he's been told he's off.

I'm not having that his misses alone are the reason Liverpool are out of the title race because a) other players have missed big chances and b) look at some of the goals we've conceded recently. People love a scapegoat though. 

It's easy to be blinkered by recent form because he and the team were very good for much of the season.

No he's not been as good as we'd have hoped yet for the price tag but he's also not as bad as he's being made out to be by some.

I have mixed feelings about him staying on. On one hand there is so much potential there to become a lot more consistent than he is and on the other there's the total unpredictability of his which is both his strength and his weakness. I feel like with some guidance not just from the manager but senior players he might come good and I honestly think hes not a traditional 9 and just like Bobby if we find a way to turn him into more of a provider I think we'll really see him flourish. He can score goals but I don't think that's his best and most useful trait. 

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

There have been a lot of howlers from him. He’s not the only one to blame, but you win games by scoring goals. Some of his misses have been outrageous. 

He’s not a scapegoat but he takes a lot of blame for the fact we haven’t won more games, along with others in the team who take their own share of it. I like the lad, his effort and commitment is very infectious, but he just doesn’t score enough. I feel the exact same about Diaz btw, I think we could move him on as well because his end product is terrible. 

Other than Salah & Jota, I don’t think we can rely on any of the forwards we have to score consistently. We need improvement in that area. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Rick said:

Other than Salah & Jota, I don’t think we can rely on any of the forwards we have to score consistently. We need improvement in that area. 

We went from Mane and Bobby to Darwin and Diaz. Now, tbf I like Diaz's end product more than Nunez and prefer Nunez over Diaz for sheer upper half control but you have to also realize that Mane and Bobby did both of those things and had stellar end product too. If you had either of those in this current team we win the league imo with all the chances created. 

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

We went from Mane and Bobby to Darwin and Diaz. Now, tbf I like Diaz's end product more than Nunez and prefer Nunez over Diaz for sheer upper half control but you have to also realize that Mane and Bobby did both of those things and had stellar end product too. If you had either of those in this current team we win the league imo with all the chances created. 

I’m pretty sure Diaz actually has a worse conversion rate than Nunez, he’s also massively wasteful. But his shots are more likely to actually be on target and that’s slightly less infuriating than what Nunez does.

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m pretty sure Diaz actually has a worse conversion rate than Nunez, he’s also massively wasteful. But his shots are more likely to actually be on target and that’s slightly less infuriating than what Nunez does.

Yeah Nunez seems to miss the more gilt-edged close-range chances. 

Their conversion rate is skewed as well because of the type of shots they'll both take, as well. A mitigating factor so to speak.

Diaz' shot conversion rate this season is 12.90%

Nunez' is 12.79%. 

According to Footystats:

Screenshot_20240510-135439.png

Screenshot_20240510-135501.png

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think they both are below where they should be and I agree about the positions they both get in and who should really be converting more. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wonder if we have a buyback clause on Solanke

I wouldn’t be ecstatic if we brought him back either, tbh. He is definitely a way better player who left us, but I still don’t think he’s good enough for our level. 

37 minutes ago, Rick said:

I wouldn’t be ecstatic if we brought him back either, tbh. He is definitely a way better player who left us, but I still don’t think he’s good enough for our level. 

I don't think there's many obvious choices on who should be leading our front line at the moment. Too bad we can't go get a time machine and get prime Fernando Torres or something like that.