talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

10 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Think about it mate!

We’re going to lose revenue from COVID but we should still have some money for signings. Now all our journos who are reliable are saying there’s no plan to sign anyone unless we can sell off fringe players. Pretty shit for a side that barely spent anything last year & has been doing well on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We’re going to lose revenue from COVID but we should still have some money for signings. Now all our journos who are reliable are saying there’s no plan to sign anyone unless we can sell off fringe players. Pretty shit for a side that barely spent anything last year & has been doing well on the pitch.

Why spend big when we are doing so well? Which player are we going to replace? Why spend big when we are merging training facilities and expanding the stadium? 

We are not an oil club. Money doesn't grow on trees. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why spend big when we are doing so well? Which player are we going to replace? Why spend big when we are merging training facilities and expanding the stadium? 

What club has sustained success over a period of years with no rejuvenation?

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You are not taking in the facts mates. Read the article I posted. Klopp explains why we cant afford big signings at this moment. 

I know people on here think they know better Than the people actually running the club, but if you actually read the facts then it might become clearer mate.

Edited by LFCMadLad

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

You are not taking in the facts mates. Read the article I posted. Klopp explains why we cant afford big signings at this moment. 

I know people on here think they know better but if you actually read the facts then it might become clearer. 

How’s that not talking facts? Klopp explained why we can’t afford big signings, and I’m explaining why I think that’s probably not great for us on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How’s that not talking facts? Klopp explained why we can’t afford big signings, and I’m explaining why I think that’s probably not great for us on the pitch.

I think we will be fine for a year or two mate if we keep this team together. I don't get why people are clammering for new expensive players thats all? 

We are expanding the stadium (again), and we are merging our training facilties. That costs a lot of money. 

You did actually say that we should be able to afford big signings. I'm saying we can't. So is the people running the club. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What club has been in the middle of merging training facilities, expanding their stadium, whilst dealing with Covid? 

Come on mate, think about it! There isn't going to be any fans allowed in stadiums for years maybe, and even when they are it will be around a quarter full capacity. And its not just gate and season ticket money we are losing, that has to be paid back. Its also the massive Nike sponsorship deal we have just signed. We don't get that now because we are not promoting their product and with that comes fines I was reading the other day. 

FSG have basically expanded the stadium (twice when its completed), for absolutely nothing. 

And you and others think they should splash out on nice new shiny players xD

Come on. Its a business not a charity. I'll say again... we are not an oil club.

Edited by LFCMadLad

• Administrator
5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

What club has been in the middle of merging training facilities, expanding their stadium, whilst dealing with Covid? 

Come on mate, think about it! There isn't going to be any fans allowed in stadiums for years maybe, and even when they are it will be around a quarter full capacity. And its not just gate and season ticket money we are losing, that has to be paid back. Its also the massive Nike sponsorship deal we have just signed. We don't get that now because we are not promoting their product and with that comes fines I was reading the other day. 

FSG have basically expanded the stadium (twice when its completed), for absolutely nothing. 

And you and others think they should splash out on nice new shiny players xD

Come on. Its a business not a charity. I'll say again... we are not an oil club.

I get what you're saying but if you want to have a consistent period of success and not just have some flash in the pan era, you'll have to make some additions in some places. That might not mean spending big but at least making some signings. I think a lot of big clubs could learn from other clubs who have made signings for much cheaper but still been able to sign that player who has gone on to become absolutely quality. It's not always about chuking tens of millions of pounds at a club for a player. 

To think you'd go up to 2-3 seasons without making additions to the squad just because of COVID and investments to facilities is naive, in my opinion. 

I get you take in to account what Klopp is saying/FSG are doing but they're hardly going to come out and say 'we've got shit loads of money regardless of COVID, we have so much money to improve the squad'. That just sends out a message to any player/club that when you come knocking, they'll slap a high price tag on said player. 

Klopp is just being shrewd and it's sensible. Every club will probably feel the hit but let's face it, you've just won the Champions League and you're about to win the league. You have shit loads of merchandise revenue and all the TV deal money. Liverpool are a big club worldwide. While you might not get as much money as before, let's not talk like there's gonna be no money around in the game and that Liverpool will be skint. Forget not being an oil club. That's pretty much irrelevant. I don't get why that keeps being brought up. Other clubs are rich as well through not having owners in the oil industry.

I think the main turn-off with Werner is that he would create pressure to alter the system. 

For a club like Chelsea, looking to put together a top side, it obviously makes sense to go for the best players you can, and then build yourself around them. Liverpool already have a top side and I think are very wary of disturbing it, especially since in it's current state it can probably continue to perform at this level for another couple of seasons. 

But either this summer or the next, I think they will need to start bringing in players who could step into the shoes of the likes of Firmino, Salah or Van Dijk.

• Administrator

Surely as well, even if you're not going to replace the core of the first team squad who have brought you the success, you're going to need to buy the replacement players or back-ups. Players like Lallana and Shaqiri are expected to leave, Milner is obviously not getting any younger...

Of course there is the youth but I think not making adequate purchases to bolster the squad would be poor.

Yeah, I’m not buying that we are potless. Load of shite. Investments have been growing but so has our revenue, and we are going to add to that revenue with a new shirt deal, higher tv rates and prize money from winning the premier league. We have made absolutely mint in terms of prize money in the last two season, yet still no investment in the squad. 

I’m not screaming for 100m purchases either. Werner would have been expensive but he has such potential, is young, and could grow into a world class player. Our front three and others around the squad have been amazing servants and continue to perform to an unbelievable level for us, but let’s not forget the ages of Milner, Lallana, Gini, Lovren, Hendo (just about) are all 30 and will not be around forever. Get some fresh faces in, let them bed in and start fighting for a place in this team. Resting on your laurels for too long isn’t wise. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I get what you're saying but if you want to have a consistent period of success and not just have some flash in the pan era, you'll have to make some additions in some places. That might not mean spending big but at least making some signings. I think a lot of big clubs could learn from other clubs who have made signings for much cheaper but still been able to sign that player who has gone on to become absolutely quality. It's not always about chuking tens of millions of pounds at a club for a player. 

To think you'd go up to 2-3 seasons without making additions to the squad just because of COVID and investments to facilities is naive, in my opinion. 

I get you take in to account what Klopp is saying/FSG are doing but they're hardly going to come out and say 'we've got shit loads of money regardless of COVID, we have so much money to improve the squad'. That just sends out a message to any player/club that when you come knocking, they'll slap a high price tag on said player. 

Klopp is just being shrewd and it's sensible. Every club will probably feel the hit but let's face it, you've just won the Champions League and you're about to win the league. You have shit loads of merchandise revenue and all the TV deal money. Liverpool are a big club worldwide. While you might not get as much money as before, let's not talk like there's gonna be no money around in the game and that Liverpool will be skint. Forget not being an oil club. That's pretty much irrelevant. I don't get why that keeps being brought up. Other clubs are rich as well through not having owners in the oil industry.

Bang on! So people reading this will understand that we MIGHT buy players but we are NOT going to display it all over social media? 

Liverpool fans on here and other forums are totally losing their shit because £150m hasn't been spent already. 

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, I’m not buying that we are potless. Load of shite. Investments have been growing but so has our revenue, and we are going to add to that revenue with a new shirt deal, higher tv rates and prize money from winning the premier league. We have made absolutely mint in terms of prize money in the last two season, yet still no investment in the squad. 

I’m not screaming for 100m purchases either. Werner would have been expensive but he has such potential, is young, and could grow into a world class player. Our front three and others around the squad have been amazing servants and continue to perform to an unbelievable level for us, but let’s not forget the ages of Milner, Lallana, Gini, Lovren, Hendo (just about) are all 30 and will not be around forever. Get some fresh faces in, let them bed in and start fighting for a place in this team. Resting on your laurels for too long isn’t wise. 

Yeah..  why didn't Klopp and Edwards think of that? 

#kloppnedwardsoutrickin

Edited by LFCMadLad

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bang on! So people reading this will understand that we MIGHT buy players but we are NOT going to display it all over social media? 

Liverpool fans on here and other forums are totally losing their shit because £150m hasn't been spent already. 

It's naive at both ends of the spectrum - naive to think absolutely no money will be spent because of COVID and naive to think you'll splash the cash just because it's there. The middle ground is spend well and only where you need to, not just because you have the capability to do so. It's quite clear Klopp has a vision and is the best person to implement that with how he has you playing. He or his scouts will know exactly who they need and it's just a case of what to pay/what's asked for. 

Good, wise & shrewd owners know how to do it. The investments are there off the pitch, so to speak. That in itself brings an attraction for players. Just because there could be millions/billions sitting in the bank through various means doesn't/shouldn't mean it should just be spent on a whim. 

So many clubs have suffered through mis-management. Sometimes the best thing is not spending obscene amounts but picking up bargains. I can't imagine you'll go through the next few windows without spending. Especially given that next season is likely to be shorter/crammed in so that it finishes in time for Euros. Squad depth will be key even if it's not going to be the world class players playing all the time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You don’t have blab on about things that haven’t been said. Nobody here is screaming for 150m to be spent. I commented on the fact that we have seemingly missed out on a player who has public ally flirted with us, who is one of the most talented attacking players in Europe and who doesn’t have an outrageous release clause. Add to that the fact that we haven’t invested in the first team in 18 months, and whispers are saying that will stretch to 2 years. But let’s all have a jolly up eh. 

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

You don’t have blab on about things that haven’t been said. Nobody here is screaming for 150m to be spent. I commented on the fact that we have seemingly missed out on a player who has public ally flirted with us, who is one of the most talented attacking players in Europe and who doesn’t have an outrageous release clause. Add to that the fact that we haven’t invested in the first team in 18 months, and whispers are saying that will stretch to 2 years. But let’s all have a jolly up eh. 

Calm down mate, have a jolly up 😅 Anyone would think we were struggling to get into Europe :D

Edited by LFCMadLad

I think Klopp signing that enormous contract extension was a statement of intent that he doesn't want to just milk this current team for all the trophies he can and then bail. Liverpool are stylistically quite an unusual team and the recruitment in the next few years needs to either sign direct replacements who can keep playing in that way, or change the balance of the team to adapt away from it. 

Signing players to replace the likes of Salah or Henderson is not extremely complicated from a stylistic point of view - there are lots of goalscoring inside forwards and energetic box-to-box midfielders to look at. 

But Firmino is a more tricky question, since eventually you either have to sign someone with similar qualities, which seems almost impossible, or you change how the entire attack works. Likewise with Van Dijk, there's a freakishly broad skill set which you either have to either replace with one player, or you have to adapt the whole team around. 

• Upvote 1

Fuck I'm rusty on where things are at for us. Football has barely been a thought for me lately with all that's been going on 

I hope we sign a defender. Not necessarily big money but hopefully someone who sits above matip and Lovren in the pecking order.

I'd like some young talent brought in to ride the wave of this squad through the second team, but be close to the squad, and learn from the likes of Milner, Hendo and VVD. Make sure we are setting up sustainable success.

And ideally someone who will come off the bench ahead of Origi in the first attacking substitution.

I'd be pleased enough if we could get that done.

I've no issue with us not making the move for Werner or any other big signing for that matter. Pretty uncertain time for most clubs, yes, even one that has made good profits over the last couple of years. Spending £50m (plus whatever his wages would be) on a player who won't start most weeks makes no sense in the current climate.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Stan said:

Surely as well, even if you're not going to replace the core of the first team squad who have brought you the success, you're going to need to buy the replacement players or back-ups. Players like Lallana and Shaqiri are expected to leave, Milner is obviously not getting any younger...

Of course there is the youth but I think not making adequate purchases to bolster the squad would be poor.

Tbh Lallana's now just a bit part player for us and it's been confirmed he's on his way out. For his very limited role in our squad currently, I'm perfectly fine with giving Curtis Jones his role in the squad.

Shaqiri's someone where if we're not getting a replacement in, we've got to keep him - I think he'd have more appearances for us this season if not for constant injury issues. But we're light on depth in attack and also he's one of our better players in the central attacking midfield role when the rare times we've gone with a 4-2-3-1; I know Newcastle are supposedly interested if they end up getting bought by Mr. Bone Saw... but without a replacement we can't afford to sell him.

Honestly, the two signings I'd hope we'd be interested in making is a CB to push Gomez/Matip (who I think are both very good, if not injury prone) - and selling Lovren. Lovren's not bad as a 4th choice CB in most situations... but he's still too error prone if he's got to fill in for a long period of games for playing at a level where you've got to be close to perfect to compete for the league.

And Origi's literally a legend with us and if he's happy to stay with us, I'm happy to have him. His 3 shots in our CL victory leading to 3 goals and his record against Everton make him a worthwhile player to keep around, 100% a cult hero. But I also think we need a better attacking option as a backup for Firmino/Mane (or Salah as well) - because Origi's been used on the left and in the centre of our front 3). I think that's especially important when we lose Salah and Mane to AFCON mid-season again.

There's no doubt we could raise £100m or so from selling squad players in normal circumstances but how many clubs are going to be willing to take the likes of Lovren and his wages off us with things the way they are? I wouldn't think Bournemouth are going to be spending upwards of £20m to make Harry Wilson permanent either