talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Go on

He's said he felt Shrewsbury were screwed over as such because of Liverpool's choice to play a weakened squad, and yes that is what it was regardless of circumstances. They were hard-done financially as a result. Purposely playing a weakened squad is against the rules (happy to be corrected on this; I know it's the case for league competitions). Playing a weakened squad ruined the integrity of the match and occasion by their expectations/standards and mainly for their fans.

Opinionated and wanting the best for his team and fans? Yes.

Absolute prick? Nah.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

He's said he felt Shrewsbury were screwed over as such because of Liverpool's choice to play a weakened squad, and yes that is what it was regardless of circumstances. They were hard-done financially as a result. Purposely playing a weakened squad is against the rules (happy to be corrected on this; I know it's the case for league competitions). Playing a weakened squad ruined the integrity of the match and occasion by their expectations/standards and mainly for their fans.

Opinionated and wanting the best for his team and fans? Yes.

Absolute prick? Nah.

If Liverpool had fielded their 'strongest team' in the first game, it's extremely likely there would have been no replay and no extra revenue for Shrewsbury. Liverpool playing a bunch of teenagers in the replay gave Shrewsbury a better chance of reaching the next round for an even bigger pay day in the next round at Stamford Bridge.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If Liverpool had fielded their 'strongest team' in the first game, it's extremely likely there would have been no replay and no extra revenue for Shrewsbury. Liverpool playing a bunch of teenagers in the replay gave Shrewsbury a better chance of reaching the next round for an even bigger pay day in the next round at Stamford Bridge.

But as it was, it was a draw in the first leg and straight away Klopp has said he won't be fielding a strong team in the replay :what:

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

But as it was, it was a draw in the first leg and straight away Klopp has said he won't be fielding a strong team in the replay :what:

Which made Shrewsbury favourites for the replay if I'm not mistaken?

It's just a friendly... and it's against Blackburn and they're pretty shite now I think... but it looks like Minamino was heavily involved in the first half. Apparently he's been working on improving his English over the lockdown, I wonder if he'll appear to be closer to the player we looked like we signed now that he can communicate better with his teammates.

Hard to really say though from a friendly against weaker opposition... that I didn't even watch xD

Hope he does well though, imo in those matches against RB Salzburg he was their standout player... even more than Haaland and his ridiculous number of goals. I would love for him to be as influential for us as he was for Salzburg in those two matches.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's just a friendly... and it's against Blackburn and they're pretty shite now I think... but it looks like Minamino was heavily involved in the first half. Apparently he's been working on improving his English over the lockdown, I wonder if he'll appear to be closer to the player we looked like we signed now that he can communicate better with his teammates.

Hard to really say though from a friendly against weaker opposition... that I didn't even watch xD

Hope he does well though, imo in those matches against RB Salzburg he was their standout player... even more than Haaland and his ridiculous number of goals. I would love for him to be as influential for us as he was for Salzburg in those two matches.

I was reading that Klopp had instructed our dietery team to bulk him up a bit. Apparently he's put on a few extra pounds now so should be a bit stronger on the ball.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I was reading that Klopp had instructed our dietery team to bulk him up a bit. Apparently he's put on a few extra pounds now so should be a bit stronger on the ball.

Sounds like the quarantine time's been good for him in terms of his career. Given some time away from football to learn the language better and be better suited for a more physical league.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rick said:

He did well in the cup games this season as one of the older lads, wish him nothing but good luck.

Yeah he was sort of a weird one to watch this season because I literally had no idea how good he was. Looked pretty decent when we gave the kids a run out though, but he was one of the older members of the squad. Thought he looked decent, but he didn’t really have a pathway into the first team. He was behind Lallana, who I think might have been behind Grujic if Grujic wasn’t out on loan this season (also with covid fucking our finances, he might be returning to us).

Good luck to the lad 

On 09/06/2020 at 04:03, LFCMike said:

I've no issue with us not making the move for Werner or any other big signing for that matter. Pretty uncertain time for most clubs, yes, even one that has made good profits over the last couple of years. Spending £50m (plus whatever his wages would be) on a player who won't start most weeks makes no sense in the current climate.

I would like to see football make an effort to drive down operating costs and player valuations through this pandemic because god knows they were not sustainable before.