talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 6 - 22-23rd September, 2023

football forum

38 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not sure how true it is, but my mate messaged me saying that Chelsea have only won 5 games in 2023.

Leeds (relegated), Leicester (relegated), Bournemouth, Palace and Luton.

For a club that has spent a good billion, that is ridiculous.

I had seen a few stats during the last week, the most common one about it being well over a year since the last time Chelsea beat a team in the top half, at the time of the win. Someone was claiming the only win last season against any of the current top 10 was vs Gerrards Villa. And a calendar year table had Villa 4th, on GD to 3rd & 2 points to 2nd. While Chelsea were 16th.

• Subscriber

Chelsea are genuinely fortunate that this is a particularly weak year at the bottom of the table. I'm not quite willing to say Burnley are down yet but the other two I give virtually no chance of survival. If you had a semi competent trio come up this year they would be in genuine danger of the drop, which people will baulk at but this is beyond a bad run - they have I think 30 points in their last 35 games. This isn't bad form, this is being shit. They are genuinely performing at the level of an Everton / Wolves.

• Subscriber

Szoboszlai gets better every time I watch him. The good news is that Darwin is finding his rhythm and its showing in the way he chases lost causes and is always willing to put himself out for a pass. All he has to work on now is his first-chance takes and we're going to be very hard to deal with up front (we already are). 

We lost our swagger in recent weeks, but you saw after the 2nd went in it all came back with confidence. Let's hope we can carry that into the next games. 

Going to be tougher to keep confidence and momentum when league games are straddled by very difficult cup games which will see rotation. But we need to get players into form and putting a good long run together.

• Subscriber

Someone I saw on Twitter said that last season you saw one of the best set of three teams go down and they've been replaced by one of the weakest promoted trios we've seen in years.

I don't necessarily agree with the first half of the statement. I think in terms of stature that Leicester, Leeds and Southampton is quite a big set of three teams to get relegated but I don't know if the actual teams were that good last season (they can't have been if they finished below us). There were certainly some quality players between them at least.

It's early days but regardless of whether Burnley show some improvement, Sheffield United and Luton are well on course to make it the worst three promoted sides on their own. It's not often you get two teams who look like they'll struggle to pick up a win anywhere. I don't want to throw too much shade at Luton though because in fairness, it's a phenomenal achievement for them to make it to the top flight in the first place.

It's harsh on Burnley to be lumped in there so early when 4 of their first 5 have been Man City, Tottenham, Villa and Man Utd. They've had the better share of possession against the latter two.

They've got us next as well. So 5 of their first 6 games will have been against last seasons top 8.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Danny said:

That Chelsea red card was spot on, example of VAR being used correctly 

And then how not to use it for the Gordon handball against Sheff Utd. 

Would love to hear the comms for both. 

• The topic was unpinned