talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 32 - 6-7th April 2024

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Just wanna say, we've seen red cards given for less this season: 

CDN media

If we're giving red cards for that then we may as well stop tackling full stop. He was strong in the challenge but he got both the ball and the man.

To be honest the likes of Casemiro are the last of a dying breed. Teams like City dominate possession so easily because teams can no longer be physical enough to level the playing field. Mourinho's Inter and Atletico being the last teams to make a success of it that I can think of.

I'd take football with aggression back over this tika taka crap any day of the week. The games been too sanitised and as fans we're now looking at decent tackles and over analysing them. I know you haven't said it was a red but the fact that tackle was being discussed in work today just tells you how soft the games gone. That was bog standard back in the day.

Edited by Devil
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Devil said:

If we're giving red cards for that then we may as well stop tackling full stop. He was strong in the challenge but he got both the ball and the man.

To be honest the likes of Casemiro are the last of a dying breed. Teams like City dominate possession so easily because teams can no longer be physical enough to level the playing field. Mourinho's Inter and Atletico being the last teams to make a success of it that I can think of.

I'd take football with aggression back over this tika taka crap any day of the week. The games been too sanitised and as fans we're now looking at decent tackles and over analysing them. I know you haven't said it was a red but the fact that tackle was being discussed in work today just tells you how soft the games gone. That was bog standard back in the day.

I think it’s being discussed because the standard of refereeing is a bit mental. Like I’ve said, there’ve been reds given this season for less. And they’ve even been defended as being legitimate reds, even on here - which is fine, everyone’s entitled to opinions and it’s boring if we all think the same thing.

For me it’s more just discussion about how fucking weird it is there’s no consistency at all. And being honest, I think that’s a worse tackle than the one that broke Elliot’s leg last season that was given a red (which probably wasn’t a red - but was upheld on appeal for that Leeds player most likely because it resulted in a broken leg).

So probably Diaz and Caserimo are both lucky Diaz’s leg wasn’t planted so nothing broke.

But then it begs the question, should red cards be given/upheld on appeal… just because a player was unlucky enough to get a serious injury, whereas the same sort of challenge on a different night would likely not be considered a red? Should that even be considered instead of the actual challenge?

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m not saying it’s a red or it’s not a red, I’m just saying I’ve seen them given for less this season.

We saw Curtis get one earlier in the season when he gets the ball first then follows through. Which is not any different to what happened with Casemiro and I agree all we really want is some consistency but the laws themselves lead to all kinds of ambiguous behavior you're not going to get that anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

We saw Curtis get one earlier in the season when he gets the ball first then follows through. Which is not any different to what happened with Casemiro and I agree all we really want is some consistency but the laws themselves lead to all kinds of ambiguous behavior you're not going to get that anytime soon. 

It's very different because Curtis Jones went in high enough on the Spurs player that his foot rolled over the ball and into the middle of his shin. It was unlucky and not deliberate but this challenge isn't on the same level.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's very different because Curtis Jones went in high enough on the Spurs player that his foot rolled over the ball and into the middle of his shin. It was unlucky and not deliberate but this challenge isn't on the same level.

I agree this is way more deliberate even if he gets the ball. The only saving grace is the player on the receiving end doesn't get injured. 

3 hours ago, Rick said:

That Nunez fuck up near the end is haunting my dreams. Why THE FUCK did he not just shoot? It’s exasperating. 

He's my hero.

11 hours ago, Devil said:

I remember games in the past against City and Liverpool. Couldn't wait for the first ten minutes because this is when players wanted to leave their mark and put in some crunching tackles. You don't get that anymore.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

That’s not very different tbh - isn’t the rule not even dependent on getting the ball now. They aren’t even meant to think about intent - isn’t it any attempt to obtain the ball, that endangers an opposing player, purposefully or not, is a foul.

Here he: 1) Leaves the ground, 2) studs up, 3) makes contact with one ankle at just about the same time as he makes contact with the ball before following through the second ankle.

Again, I’m not saying definitively or not that it’s a red. But as we don’t have a single referee in England that I think has any degree of confidence, I’ve sort of got to go off what Coward Webb and the ex-referees the football media wheel out to justify what refs do each week.

If the new policy is: we show leniency on these types of challenges now - I say: good. But at the same time… I don’t think they should be changing policies mid-season as we’ve seen reds given for less - that flies in the face of the idea that referees should be consistent in their decision making.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Again, I’m not saying definitively or not that it’s a red. But as we don’t have a single referee in England that I think has any degree of confidence, I’ve sort of got to go off what Coward Webb and the ex-referees the football media wheel out to justify what refs do each week.

If the new policy is: we show leniency on these types of challenges now - I say: good. But at the same time… I don’t think they should be changing policies mid-season as we’ve seen reds given for less - that flies in the face of the idea that referees should be consistent in their decision making.

It differs so much from week to week and referee to referee that it's really hard to determine what is and isn't a yellow or red card these days.

I agree with @Devil about 'back in the day' that tackle is fine. In fact, not even back in the day. Even 5/6 years ago you could go into a challenge like that and be totally fine with it because that's the game, that's football. But now, the game has been so watered down that referees are overly-cautious. If referees can't find the consistency or seem to apply what the rules are, how are fans or players or managers meant to feel or respond. 

What I do know is that if it was Endo doing that tackle on Fernandes, there'd be exactly the same argument from the Man Utd fans wondering if there should be a red...

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I'd call it arguably reckless from Casemiro and I think if he was sent off for it it wouldn't be overturned.

The Curtis Jones was one was a slam dunk though. He ended up making contact halfway up the player's shin. Regardless of how unlucky he was that his foot rolled over the ball, that's a risk he took when he went studs first into the challenge and made contact with the top half of the ball.

1_Screenshot-2023-09-30-at-175829.thumb.png.fdcf74e86d1b0293f66fd1f007d852dc.png

Say what you want about the Casemiro one but it's debatable and the Curtis Jones one simply wasn't at the time or now.

• Administrator

Yeah they're not comparable. Jones' is worse given where the foot makes contact on the opposition player. 

• The topic was unpinned