talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2023/24 Quarter-Finals - Thursday 11th April, 2024 (1st Legs)

• Administrator

1200px-UEFA_Europa_League_(football_comp

all kick-offs 20.00 (BST)

Thursday 11th April, 2024
Bayer Leverkusen vs West Ham

Benfica vs Marseille

Liverpool vs Atalanta

AC Milan vs Roma

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Have Liverpool underestimated Atalanta, or have the away side been that good? 

We’ve defended like piss tonight. Both their goals were awful to concede, and they could have had more. Plus, at the other end we have been toothless again. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Have Liverpool underestimated Atalanta, or have the away side been that good? 

We've been out of form for a while, now we're just getting results that reflect that.

Figures as much, it's bizarre we're still in the title race this season despite an all new midfield and an attack that's good at making chances but not putting them away. Season's really kind of fizzling out into nothingness, it looks like.

Shame really, because we've probably got another period of rebuilding ahead of us and fuck knows how that'll go.

Utter fucking wank. Worst performance of the season this is, it’s a fucking mess from everybody on that pitch along with Klopp for that starting line-up. Play anything like this and Palace take points off us on Sunday as well. 

Leverkusen take the lead against West Ham through a goal by their substitute Jonas Hofmann. Leverkusen have completely dominated the match and their late goal through Hofmann is just rewards. West Ham did well to hold out for so long. But I think West Ham will be satisfied if they lose only by a 1-0 score-line, as the they will feel confident in the return leg on home soil. West Ham have done very well at home this season.

Bayer Leverkusen 1-0 West Ham

Edited by Michael

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You know the performance has been terrible if Gakpo's looking like our best player on the pitch.

Klopp showed some fucking arrogance playing him, Nunez and Elliot as the front three. 

I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet in the second leg so I reckon that’s it done cause we just done want to put the ball in the net at the moment. Disgrace from every player on the pitch. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Really hard to turn that around for Liverpool. I wouldn't bet against them turning around that margin at Anfield but it's a really tall order away.

If anything, Atalanta could have had more. This is why it always makes me laugh when Luton or Bournemouth get patted on the head for being "brave" at Liverpool or Man City when they've turned up with no defensive structure and just run around a lot and nicked a goal. Liverpool were horrid tonight but it's a master class from Atalanta in how to stifle a team like this whilst carrying a consistent threat at the other end.

West Ham were doing well against Leverkusen. 1-0 to take back to London would have been decent for them but a late second goal for Leverkusen makes it a lot harder for them. I think Leverkusen end the night as clear favourites for the competition now.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Klopp showed some fucking arrogance playing him, Nunez and Elliot as the front three. 

I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet in the second leg so I reckon that’s it done cause we just done want to put the ball in the net at the moment. Disgrace from every player on the pitch. 

Elliot's got a good work ethic, but when he's part of the front 3 rather than in a midfield role he's predictably shit. Nunez... I like his attitude but he makes Heskey look like a lethal finisher. I've got nothing positive to say about Gakpo this season, I don't understand why we signed him tbh - he's not really good at anything.

So yeah, disgraceful front 3 that.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Really hard to turn that around for Liverpool. I wouldn't bet against them turning around that margin at Anfield but it's a really tall order away.

If anything, Atalanta could have had more. This is why it always makes me laugh when Luton or Bournemouth get patted on the head for being "brave" at Liverpool or Man City when they've turned up with no defensive structure and just run around a lot and nicked a goal. Liverpool were horrid tonight but it's a master class from Atalanta in how to stifle a team like this whilst carrying a consistent threat at the other end.

West Ham were doing well against Leverkusen. 1-0 to take back to London would have been decent for them but a late second goal for Leverkusen makes it a lot harder for them. I think Leverkusen end the night as clear favourites for the competition now.

No way we turn this around.

But also... what consistent threat? We've had 5 attackers on and something like just 2 shots on target lol. Our attack is as sharp as a blunt spoon at the moment.

Leverkusen clear favourites now. I think that second goal makes it too much for West Ham. 

We are definitely out. All bark and no bite lately. Wouldn’t have scored against my local pub side tonight. I hate to say it, because I love his work rate, but Nunez is really testing my patience in front of goal. Really is. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No way we turn this around.

But also... what consistent threat? We've had 5 attackers on and something like just 2 shots on target lol. Our attack is as sharp as a blunt spoon at the moment.

I wasn't talking about your threat!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Leverkusen clear favourites now. I think that second goal makes it too much for West Ham. 

We are definitely out. All bark and no bite lately. Wouldn’t have scored against my local pub side tonight. I hate to say it, because I love his work rate, but Nunez is really testing my patience in front of goal. Really is. 

Like with Gakpo & Diaz... I think if we get a decent offer we should take it. Maybe someone like Simeone can get the most out of him with Atletico... or maybe the new manager can get the most out of a forward that's good at everything but finishing. But I think we probably need to look at rebuilding our attack after this season because it's been our biggest weakness.

39 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Looks like Liverpool underestimated Atalanta based on the first stringers who didn't start.

Seems like they made the decision that getting through isn't as important as being fresh for the league.

Still wouldn't have expected Liverpool to be so shit, but Klopp probably feels they have bigger fish to fry.

• The topic was unpinned