talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 33 - 13-15th April, 2024

Just now, Cicero said:

I suppose that’s an adequate excuse when you so confidentially predicted it was Chelsea that made him shit. 

Oh you did, because he was good enough at Leipzig until you signed him. Some players will just take a bit longer to get back to their best after taking a hit to their confidence like that. Some players turn it around a bit quicker, like Havertz for example, another player you destroyed and Mikel Arteta has now got him back to his best. Or Christian Pulisic, another player who struggled at Chelsea and has now gone onto to have a career best season at AC Milan. Chelsea fans spent ages slagging of Jorginho too who has gone onto become pretty integral to an Arsenal team that are chasing the title. Morata another one Chelsea fans jumped on as shit and has managed to score 20 goals in a season for Real Madrid, Juve and Atletico. to It's a consistent theme with Chelsea through the years, whether it's the player you've destroyed recently, the players you are currently destroying (Caicedo for example), or the players you destroyed before that like Lukaku, Salah or KdB.

Players aren't completely blameless obviously, but there is a very strong common denominator there. So yeah, Chelsea do ruin players.

A weird game today, two teams in the first half who couldnt get out of first gear. But glad we got the win in the end. Great to see Schade back, he really is good and immediately assists Onyeka who grabs his first goal for us. If we can just roll into these last games now with these players back then the focus can be on just playing free flowing football again rather than just trying to survive. Looking forward to seeing Schade, Toney and Mbeumo up top. Should have seen it a lot more this season and it would have shot us up the table a lot.

• Administrator

That penalty Man Utd got is disgusting. 

How a VAR official doesn't see that Smith has his arm tucked into his body, and the fact it ricochet off another player is obscene. 

I don't think that ETH is a particularly bad manager, I think he's just another victim of Manchester United. The problems are much bigger than the manager there, I think if he was anywhere else he'd probably do alright. 

I think the vibe is that he's out of the door though, I genuinely mean this when I think that Coventry could actually do them. It's got full banter banana skin all over it. 

The media think it'll be Southgate next, but with Tuchel free he wouldn't surprise me.

There’s a lot wrong behind the scenes and there’s players who clearly don’t want to fight for the club. But I do question why we haven’t seen spells of good football at least. Eddie Howe done it with a leaser team, Iraola with Bournemouth, Frank with Brentford, de Zerbi at Brighton…smaller budgets, players who arent as good, yet they can get their teams to put in great performances even if theyre not always consistent.

For me that has to go against him, he’s just given up on the team.

• Administrator

Tuchel and Man Utd just seems like the next chapter of disaster for the club. If you're a Utd supporter you'd like to think Ratcliffe knows better than to hire someone as polarising as Tuchel. You need someone to galvanise that team, not alienate them even further. 

14 hours ago, Stan said:

That penalty Man Utd got is disgusting. 

How a VAR official doesn't see that Smith has his arm tucked into his body, and the fact it ricochet off another player is obscene. 

One of the worst calls of the season, just basic common sense needs to be applied.

52 minutes ago, Stan said:

Tuchel and Man Utd just seems like the next chapter of disaster for the club. If you're a Utd supporter you'd like to think Ratcliffe knows better than to hire someone as polarising as Tuchel. You need someone to galvanise that team, not alienate them even further. 

There's no way they'll bring in Tuchel, surely....

Lovely little VAR moment yesterday. 1.25 into the video, honestly do not see a foul at all, just a dive from McBurnie, denies Damsgaard of a lovely volley 

Edited by Danny

1 hour ago, Stan said:

When I heard that,I thought it was a joke. 

Not many stand out candidates around for too many vacancies.

Alonso could yet be a 1 season wonder.

Tuchel has looked to me for a while like he has an external desire to be Klopp, with an inner Roy Keane.

Whether it's Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or all 3 appointing a new manager this summer, it could be on who takes the best gamble. For many Emery had failed in England. Not sure many saw Big Ange as an obvious Premier League candidate. Bournemouth were criticised. The Wolves manager abandoned a sinking ship. Was Eddie Howe a clear & obvious choice?

Given the lack of obvious big names, and the gambles that have, to an extent, paid off over recent seasons, I think it would be football snobbery to entirely rule out a Southgate, or a Roberto Martinez, or whoever seems like a currently insufficient name.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

One of the worst calls of the season, just basic common sense needs to be applied.

Speculative but you do wonder that if it was the other way round would it have bee overturned... 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Speculative but you do wonder that if it was the other way round would it have bee overturned... 

Honestly I just think it's just being terrible at their job rather than a bias, wouldn't surprise me if they gave it to either team

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Not many stand out candidates around for too many vacancies.

Alonso could yet be a 1 season wonder.

Tuchel has looked to me for a while like he has an external desire to be Klopp, with an inner Roy Keane.

Whether it's Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or all 3 appointing a new manager this summer, it could be on who takes the best gamble. For many Emery had failed in England. Not sure many saw Big Ange as an obvious Premier League candidate. Bournemouth were criticised. The Wolves manager abandoned a sinking ship. Was Eddie Howe a clear & obvious choice?

Given the lack of obvious big names, and the gambles that have, to an extent, paid off over recent seasons, I think it would be football snobbery to entirely rule out a Southgate, or a Roberto Martinez, or whoever seems like a currently insufficient name.

I would say it is not so much Ten Hag as it is a disastrous recruitment policy adopted by Man United.   When you sign a near 33 year old for 65m,  burn him out now looks like a terrible investment to have made.    You can literally throw any man united signing in the "would anyone else sign this guy" board.  Outside of Rasmus Hoijlund have any man united recent signings really been good?

• Subscriber

Robertson does well to clear off the line to prevent 0-2. Van Dijk needs subbing off at this rate. Stood there gawking for the first then gone full Gerrard for that chance.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Robertson does well to clear off the line to prevent 0-2. Van Dijk needs subbing off at this rate. Stood there gawking for the first then gone full Gerrard for that chance.

He’s done a lot of shouting at others the last few games,  but he has been just as bad. 

Ended the season like total shit. Expected a lot more from them today after that disaster on Thursday but they’ve been lax. Something seriously wrong with the players at the moment, they’ve well and truly lost momentum. 

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I would say it is not so much Ten Hag as it is a disastrous recruitment policy adopted by Man United.   When you sign a near 33 year old for 65m,  burn him out now looks like a terrible investment to have made.    You can literally throw any man united signing in the "would anyone else sign this guy" board.  Outside of Rasmus Hoijlund have any man united recent signings really been good?

Yes, I think Man United is the toughest Premier League manager job right now. But not for any good reasons. The recruitment has lacked any vision for a while. Liverpool sound like they are going for Amorim. Perhaps the most on trend available name. Chelsea perhaps need a manager who can get the best out of the youthful squad the owners opted for. But Man United, to get to where most their fans think they should be, they are likely several good transfer windows away, before they can even start looking at the right head coach to get them to the top again.

• The topic was unpinned