talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 33 - 13-15th April, 2024

• Subscriber

Naturally I don't want Liverpool to win the title but I was hoping Arsenal could stop City who are just about as unpalatable.

I know it's still close and "it's not over yet" but I don't think City will blink now. They do not lose a close title race. But maybe this will be the time...

Was hoping it'd be Arsenal, but fantastic to see that the Liverpool fans that were creaming over a quadruple are now basically going to end the season with a Carabao Cup. 

Klopp will go down in Liverpool folklore for lifting one title in his entire tenure. One of the best in orchestrating bottlements.

It would have been nice if Man City (a) could have gone more like this. But, where Villa finish could be significant in terms of the owners ambition to grow the club.

I think we are starting to see that Liverpool were patched up in some areas & Arsenal perhaps do lack a Salah or De Bruyne level game changer. 

• Subscriber

Bookies have City as roughly 70% likely to win the title now. Arsenal 20% and Liverpool 15%. It was about 40%/35%/30% on Friday. (I know they don't add up to 100% but that's how odds work).

Always going to happen at some point Arsenal dropping points, just lack that world class quality to decide difficult games consistently. Liverpool also struggling recently with a team that lacks squad balance. City to steam on now surely

On 13/04/2024 at 08:55, Danny said:

Oh you did, because he was good enough at Leipzig until you signed him. Some players will just take a bit longer to get back to their best after taking a hit to their confidence like that. Some players turn it around a bit quicker, like Havertz for example, another player you destroyed and Mikel Arteta has now got him back to his best. Or Christian Pulisic, another player who struggled at Chelsea and has now gone onto to have a career best season at AC Milan. Chelsea fans spent ages slagging of Jorginho too who has gone onto become pretty integral to an Arsenal team that are chasing the title. Morata another one Chelsea fans jumped on as shit and has managed to score 20 goals in a season for Real Madrid, Juve and Atletico. to It's a consistent theme with Chelsea through the years, whether it's the player you've destroyed recently, the players you are currently destroying (Caicedo for example), or the players you destroyed before that like Lukaku, Salah or KdB.

Players aren't completely blameless obviously, but there is a very strong common denominator there. So yeah, Chelsea do ruin players.

Havertz back to his best yeah? It’s genuinely no better than his 22/23 season (which was shit) but you keep on pretending he’s doing great under Arteta and buying into the media bollocks. It’s his typical March/April purple patch. Relax. 

Pulisic having a great season in a significantly worse league. Shocker. I suppose Southgate should call up Reuben Loftus-Cheek too considering he’s been one of the best midfielders in Serie A this season. 

This the same Jorginho Arsenal fans value what he does on the pitch but still want upgraded on? Blimey where have I heard this before…?

Morata is still shit. 

Lukaku didn’t fit the system under Tuchel. KDB wasn’t ahead of Oscar at the time and Salah wasn’t ahead of Willian. They weren’t ‘ruined’ at Chelsea, they needed time to develop and it benefited their careers. 

• Subscriber

Not sure if there is choking. Think Liverpool have just run out of steam after punching above their weight all season. Arsenal possibly the same but possibly just that they didn't take advantage of the half they had the better of today against the team sat in 4th and Villa did.

City left the door ajar this season with a poor first half of the campaign but their only dropped points since Palace at home before Christmas were draws with Arsenal and Liverpool and that weird 1-1 with Chelsea. But if you look at the three squads with all/most players fit, City should still be a bit ahead of Liverpool and Arsenal.

City back to back treble odds tumbling.

The games dead, regardless of United being involved or not. Liverpool and Arsenal have produced two amazing squads capable of sustained success but City have just closed the game with the elite in every role from top to bottom. Klopp is elite beyond belief and he can't compete with a club funded and purpose built to kill the game completely.

2 hours ago, Devil said:

The games dead, regardless of United being involved or not. Liverpool and Arsenal have produced two amazing squads capable of sustained success but City have just closed the game with the elite in every role from top to bottom. Klopp is elite beyond belief and he can't compete with a club funded and purpose built to kill the game completely.

Dramatic but not innacurate, the funny part is that this has been what the EPL has done to every other league in the world for 20 years, choked the life out of them with financial force, and Man U were at the spear tip of that endeavor, how does your medicine taste? 

I wouldn't say City have it in the bag, they can obviously have a whoopsy somewhere, however I think they know how to finish a job 

I still think the premier League is the best league in the world and this season is proof of it, with intense competition at all parts of the league table.

I think the nail was hit, Arsenal lack a top level center forward and Liverpool maybe a bit light at the back.

10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Dramatic but not innacurate, the funny part is that this has been what the EPL has done to every other league in the world for 20 years, choked the life out of them with financial force, and Man U were at the spear tip of that endeavor, how does your medicine taste? 

We profited from the financial boom of the Premier League years, what do you want me to do apologise for having one of top managers in history?

Which ever way you want spin it the reality is our success was as lucky in the sense of the timing rather than us being the spear tip. United was built by the brilliance of a human rather then just money alone. That isn't the case with City, they've got the best from top to bottom by bending the rules and using their unlimited funds. 

2 hours ago, Devil said:

We profited from the financial boom of the Premier League years, what do you want me to do apologise for having one of top managers in history?

Which ever way you want spin it the reality is our success was as lucky in the sense of the timing rather than us being the spear tip. United was built by the brilliance of a human rather then just money alone. That isn't the case with City, they've got the best from top to bottom by bending the rules and using their unlimited funds. 

People worked hard in the marketing side of our club. I don't fully agree about it just being a 90s boom. We spent well in the 80s plus there were other spenders. Blackburn spent big as did Newcastle. If you look at this link below, look at who spent the most in the 90s.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-biggest-spender-in-every-pl-season-and-how-they-fared

For me, yesterday only highlighted how much Liverpool and Arsenal need the reliability of a quality Number 9.

They can both score goals from anywhere on the pitch which is great, but in the crunch games, that's what your main man up top does. Neither have one.

You just can't miss those chances. Criminal.

Arsenal certainly won't win this league till they bag a Top Quality striker and I don't mean Ivan Toney either. Got to aim bigger. 

Darwin's all action and does bring a lot to the attack but sadly when he gets the chance, you expect the miss.

For a striker, that's bad. Even Andy Cole was more clinical and he got ribbed for years how many chances he took to score.

Edited by Lucas

I’ve had a look at the city fixtures, and while I do think that they will drop points, I don’t think either us or Arsenal are up for taking advantage of it. I can’t see us winning all of the last six (especially with 4/6 being away games) and Arsenal have Spurs, Chelsea and Utd still to play and I don’t think they get through those unscathed. 

Just too many shitty dropped points by both sides at the worst time possible. Glad we have top four tied up at least.

18 hours ago, Devil said:

Whereas I despite everything about City, it's fantastic seeing United fans getting up in arms about them - of all people.

The SAF era was dominated by having a chequebook bigger than anyone else and the referees in Old Trafford's back pocket. It's romanticised as "Fergie Time" but was basically just playing until United got the result they wanted.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Enjoy another season in City's shadow.

• The topic was unpinned