talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America USA 2024

Posted (edited)

Argentina are the obvious favourites as they have recently won 3 trophies and have only lost twice in about 5 years, but Uruguay look solid and Colombia are in fantastic form, currently 22 games unbeaten.

You can never rule out Brazil either, as they have the talent there. But they don't really convince me as a team. In fact, they have recently been beaten by all 3 of the mentioned sides(Argentina, Colombia & Uruguay) themselves in the South American qualifiers.

Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia are easily the 3 favourites.

It would be great if Colombia won it though. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris

1 hour ago, RonnieM90 said:

Recently, the US lost 5-1 to Colombia. Mexico lost 4-0 to Uruguay. Both Colombia and Uruguay look good. The US and Mexico look bad.

Yeah Colombia, Uruguay, and Argentina are looking strong heading into this tournament. 

If I had to guess, that's probably an ad.  EDIT: It was indeed an ad.

This is very unlike Ronaldinho and he is also very close to several players in the NT, especially with Raphinha, since both are from Porto Alegre.

But to be fair, the post is not that wrong. 

Our NT is terrible. 

Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay are all above us, and I am not completely sure we would beat Equador, Mexico and the US at the moment.

Edited by El Profesor

• Subscriber

Watched a few matches over the weekend.  Jamaica looked dangerous, Mexico looked awful... and now they've lost Alvarez.  US should've won by several goals against Bolivia.  Peru v. Chile was a dull affair.  And what was Enner Valencia thinking?  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You must pay a lot for sports mate? You have sky sports,  bt and Premier sports? 

I get Discovery+ through Sky, so I can watch all the TNT stuff on my phone.

Got a very good deal on Sky TV & Internet - there's good value there if you look for it and push for it.

Premier Sports I just pay for each month whenever it's worth it. Costly for a whole year so might as well just pay for what I want to watch. 

Brazil vs Costa Rica in minutes. Should be an easy win for Brazil. 

EDIT: 0-0. We are terrible. Neymar is still essential for Brazil. Without his individual talent, we are at this point the 4th best team in South America. 

Edited by El Profesor

• Administrator

Enjoyed watching the Colombia game. Wasn't as straightforward for them as expected but their unbeaten run continues. The game was played at a very fast pace. Enciso will be key for Paraguay in the next games. 

Rodriguez showed his quality for Colombia. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Brazil vs Costa Rica in minutes. Should be an easy win for Brazil. 

EDIT: 0-0. We are terrible. Neymar is still essential for Brazil. Without his individual talent, we are at this point the 4th best team in South America. 

I watched the first half.  That was abysmal.  Probably should have had a penalty tbh but Costa Rica did all the right things.

• Subscriber

Also, it was very irritating watching the Brazil players surround the ref multiple times.  For the one particular incident it wasn't a handball and was never going to be a penalty.  The fact that they delayed taking the corner for several minutes while arguing with the ref should've resulted in yellow cards.

Panama won against the USA. That was a big result for them. They should be able to beat Bolivia and advance. This was a very bad result for the USA. Also, Venezuela looks like they might top their group. Them beating Ecuador and Mexico were big results for them.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, RonnieM90 said:

Panama won against the USA. That was a big result for them. They should be able to beat Bolivia and advance. This was a very bad result for the USA. Also, Venezuela looks like they might top their group. Them beating Ecuador and Mexico were big results for them.

After all that talk about putting together a professional performance in a major tournament the US was caught out again.  Berhalter surely to be shit-canned after they are eliminated.

• Administrator

Sounds/looks like there was some dirtiness at play by the officials between USA & Uruguay. Clear offsides, generally weird officiating against USA. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Sounds/looks like there was some dirtiness at play by the officials between USA & Uruguay. Clear offsides, generally weird officiating against USA. 

Very inexperienced ref, seemed overwhelmed by the occasion.    Never really took controll of a chippy game. Not sure about the linemen, whether they were experienced  or not. The VAR decision on Uruguay's goal was controversial, but it might have been onside by a toe nail.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

That´s the standard of Conmebol refereeing. It´s really bad.

Right now, Canada is the best Concacaf team. Mexico and US will need to improve a lot to do well as hosts in 2026.

Brazil vs Colombia tonight is a decisive match. The winner gets to face Panama in the next round, the loser will face Uruguay. 

Colombia is by far the better team, but Brazil has better players. It should be an interesting one to watch. 

Argentina has looked off all Copa America. 

They are beating Ecuador, but the ecuadorians have outplayed them. 

Even without Messi at his best physical condition, I expected a lot more from Argentina.