talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

18 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Oddly enough thats our age gap and I haven't ever tied any shoelaces but I sure have done a lot of other things like being told that doing his homework would help me at my studies in four years time :D. Newsflash, it didn't.

Actually I can see where your brother was going with that!  Obviously you didn't listen to him enough! :ph34r:xD

19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

OT: Looks like Iniesta is a shoe-in and maybe Zidane will climb up to Maradona if more people vote for him. Interesting.

Although Zidane is undoubtedly one of the greats, him getting in there before Diego Maradona would be ridiculous!  Infact Maradona should be leading this.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
21 hours ago, Machado said:

It was closer between the two at the time to be fair, but Iniesta proved to be way more than just a consequence of that excelent Barça side, just like Messi. Today that myth about some of those Barça players is well and truly buried I believe. He could play in any side in the world... be it in Germany, Italy or England and do excellently.

There's world class and then there's Iniesta class.

Just glad that he's being appreciated to be honest. He shits on Xavi too, in my opinion. Messi is the GOAT hands down, but Iniesta is the best in his position of all time too.

On 21/03/2017 at 3:19 PM, SirBalon said:

Although Zidane is undoubtedly one of the greats, him getting in there before Diego Maradona would be ridiculous!  Infact Maradona should be leading this.

I'd personally have both and play Maradona in a more advance attacking position along with Leo Messi and a number 9, who I'm yet decided on. Probably Ronaldo(the Brazilian) or possibly Romario.

16 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Its amazing how underrated Platini is around here. 

I usually go for players who I have lived, but there are the odd exception such as Maradona(who I was too young to remember when at his best) or Cruijff as I've seen way more than enough material over the years to see how great they were.

But I agree, Platini is a legend. As a footballer that is, not as president of UEFA..

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

You know what. Pogba isn't overrated at all, in fact he is the reincarnation of Zidane's footballing skills. The young man has perfectly emulated the French great.

He completely bamboozled a defender, took it round the keeper and missed. Where's the inefficiecy? It's just a bad miss.

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

He completely bamboozled a defender, took it round the keeper and missed. Where's the inefficiecy? It's just a bad miss.

Could have taken the shot without doing his little ballerina twirl. Since when is a 'bad miss' not inefficient? xD

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I do :dam:. Keep posting those stats though Bro.

I agree...  Stats are only on a very low percentage in football without a doubt and they don't tell the real story.

But your obvious opinion on Zidane is personal like I've voiced on others that have been voted like Matthaus over Maradona.

Why is Zidane more of a player than Iniesta for you?

Just now, SirBalon said:

I agree...  Stats are only on a very low percentage in football without a doubt.

But your obvious opinion on Zidane is personal like I've voiced on others that have been voted like Matthaus over Maradona.

Why is Zidane more of a player than Iniesta for you?

Mate, it's exactly how you put it, personal preference. For folks like you and Chris and the la liga fans, I respect your input. Just seems that everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. I watched Zidane religiously for Juve in the 90's and he was exsqusite. Calling him overrated is absolutely fucking laughable and posting a shit stat from 98 embarrassing. Remember when Leon Britton had a better passing ratio with Joe Allan than the Barsa midfield a few years back. Because they were obviously better. Bore off with your terrible fucking stats. Football is about  watching and making judgement, not crunching the numbers to prove pretty much anything (see the Pogba thread for more embarrassing stats that prove absolutely fuck all).

I was way too young to remember Zidane but I can't imagine Iniesta not being in the top 10 players ever. Aside from the honours he's won with Spain and Barcelona, he just had all a playmaker needed. Magician doesn't do him enough justice. Magicians are the likes of Jorge Valdivia and Christian Cueva. Iniesta was at the top of the top.

16 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mate, it's exactly how you put it, personal preference. For folks like you and Chris and the la liga fans, I respect your input. Just seems that everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. I watched Zidane religiously for Juve in the 90's and he was exsqusite. Calling him overrated is absolutely fucking laughable and posting a shit stat from 98 embarrassing. Remember when Leon Britton had a better passing ratio with Joe Allan than the Barsa midfield a few years back. Because they were obviously better. Bore off with your terrible fucking stats. Football is about  watching and making judgement, not crunching the numbers to prove pretty much anything (see the Pogba thread for more embarrassing stats that prove absolutely fuck all).

Fully agree with that. Numbers can have value but the most important thing is judgement. I said a few weeks back that I thought Hamsik was a top top player and I said this because I chose to watch him more individually and my judgement is that he's an incredible player who is underappreciated, but he has similar stats to Gylfi Sigurdsson. 

I have no comment on Teso as I'm just avoiding him at this point, other than its nice to see him put in his place. 

I'm already here so I may as well vote. I'm going for Iniesta and Maradona.

Iniesta I've seen many times of course. Maradona I've seen in replays of World Cup games that they sometimes show here in Peru. I've not got a full grip of how he plays as compared to people like SirBalon but out of all the players in that list, I think it would be fair for me to pick him here.

37 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Without a doubt I'm with you on the stats part because it's absolutely pointless.  There are very few things in football you can ascertain from stats and they are only an accompaniment to the actual play.  I've gone on and on about this when people try and defend players through their stats when they've been questioned.

There are moments they're important to look upon but under no circumstances are they the judgement on an individual where football is concerned.

In saying this, I don't like to bombard my view on people that live in North America (or those that have lived there for a decent amount of time) because their sports are riddled with statistics especially individual ones.  I've been over there on business and in my hotel room I've switched on their sports channels and they can make a 1 hour program (turns into a 5 hour program because of their constant commercials) contain 50 minutes of stats without actually replaying an action and just commenting on the actual moment of play as an individual art form.  There are players that are always going to be low on the important stats like goals scored or assists, even balls stolen because in midfield there are many functions in football.  Someone like Zidane or Iniesta aren't exactly ball winners or even major goal scorers (although they've scored some important ones).  They are the art form within the symphony and they stand alone in any comment.

I won't go into disputing or trying to refute your choice, only to say that whoever votes for either I understand.  The issue here from what I'm seeing is the lack of appreciating and including something you never lived through.  Because I knew this would happen I didn't vote for some names that I know should either be in there or definitely be in contention within the voting.  Many of those names I didn't see in my lifetime but because I am in love with the sport from a very young age, I made it my goal to listen to, watch and read up on everything out there.  I would ask older people their opinions on players I hadn't witnsessed but I knew they had.  I then go onto watch what's out there and available even going so far as to write to football clubs if they can send me material on tape (DVD these days or even digital downloads).  I want to appreciate every single detail of a sport that's different to any other...  A sport that can't be assessed or analysed by statistics.

Iniesta is the first winner. We will continue voting to see who he will partner with. Those that haven't voted yet please nominate two players that aren't Iniesta. 

Maradona (5)

Zidane (3)

Xavi (3)

Ronaldinho (2)

Scholes (1)

Lampard (1)

Schweinsteiger (1)

Matthaus (1)

Pirlo (1)

Archived