talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

• Administrator

Redondo and Albertini. That's some throwbacks there! 

Chucking in Tacchinardi along with those throwbacks too. One of the stars of the Juve 90s team. Same with Edgar Davids!!!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makelele is a great shout if you want someone to do a certain job and stick to taht job. He was limited technically so which is why I went for Redondo and Matthaus as they were both defensively brilliant and were technical as well as posed and attacking threat. 

Busquets is on the same boat for me with Makelele. Technically the greatest holding midfielder of all time for me, but limited in other areas. 

football forum

Busquets without a shadow of a doubt. To be as consistent he has been for the past ten years is truly remarkable and his contributions to the Barcelona team are one of the many reasons as to why they've been so dominant in the past decade. Once his career is done and dusted he will be looked back on with great fondness by footballing enthusiasts and fully deserves his place in this team.

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Busquets without a shadow of a doubt. To be as consistent he has been for the past ten years is truly remarkable and his contributions to the Barcelona team are one of the many reasons as to why they've been so dominant in the past decade. Once his career is done and dusted he will be looked back on with great fondness by footballing enthusiasts and fully deserves his place in this team.

He's a player that just gets on with it. It's hard to stand out as a DM with MSN, Xavi and Iniesta around you stealing the spotlight and credit to him he did that

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Vieira over Keane? Really?

they're not too dissimilar. you can't start a poll like this then question people's subjective opinions! Vieira's not even that bad a shout anyway!

1 minute ago, StanLCFC said:

they're not too dissimilar. you can't start a poll like this then question people's subjective opinions! Vieira's not even that bad a shout anyway!

That's kind of the purpose of this thread, engaging in debate in why we feel certain players are better than others. Keane was narrowly better in my opinion and what separates them was that Keane was more of a driven match winner. 

• Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

That's kind of the purpose of this thread, engaging in debate in why we feel certain players are better than others. Keane was narrowly better in my opinion and what separates them was that Keane was more of a driven match winner. 

i get it's to engage in debate. just you  seemed to laugh off the choice of Vieira when it's not that bad a shout :) 

3 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

i get it's to engage in debate. just you  seemed to laugh off the choice of Vieira when it's not that bad a shout :) 

Any reply other than Papa Bouba Diop is worthy of laughing off...

8 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

Not a bad shout but questioning why there is a majority vote over Vieira ahead of Keane

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Other Italian defensive midfielders

• Roberto Donadoni
  • Sandro Mazzola
  • Bruno Conti
  • Dino Baggio
  • Valentino Mazzola
  • Marco Tardelli

Other great defensive midfielders to think about...

• Frank Rijkaard
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Graeme Souness
  • Didier Deschamps
  • Fernando Redondo
  • Antonio Rattin
  • Michael Ballack
  • Johan Neeskens
  • Mauro Silva
  • Bryan Robson
  • Diego Simeone
  • Stefan Effenberg

Sorry but I have to take Michael Ballack and Mascherano off the list. Ballack was a complete B2B and Masch's best years came as a CB.

Ballack's best performances as a Chelsea player were when he was substituting for the role Lampard usually played. Nobody could forget the match Ballack dominated Manchester United from start to end.

I wouldn't class Vieira as a DM really, he never played there for us until his last season when Fabregas came in. Always had a more defensive midfielder beside him (Gilberto & Petit). He's more of a box to box for me so my vote would go to Busquets, just pure class. 

Same as what Chaay said... from what little football I saw back in mid 2000s I think Vieira is more of a box to box player. Going with Sergio Busquets, when he struggles Barcelona struggles and the proof is first half of this season. Barcelona can probably live without messi or iniesta but not without Busquets.

TalkFootball365 All TIme Defensive Midfielder Winner....

Sergio Busquets 

0157548001461561138_filepicker.jpg

ST

LW------------------------RW

CM---------CM

Busquets

Maldini-----Puyol----Nesta------Lahm

Buffon

This next one I will let go on for a few days considering there will be a lot of different opinions. I want you to nominate TWO different centre mids. The nominations can be totally subjective. You can either put two midfielders who you'd think would complement each other and the team the best, or two midfielders who you feel are talent wise the best in history. 

Mine will be Andres Iniesta and Diego Maradona. 

• Administrator

Iniesta and Pirlo. 

Plethora of choice, though! The grace that those 2 play with settles it for me. They make the difficult things look ridiculously easy, especially Iniesta. Ability to get himself out of tough situations like being surrouned by 3 or 4 players and using trickery and calmness is something a lot of players crave and wish they could do. And his ability to be a match-winner puts him above the rest. And not only have they performed at club level, but they've done it on the biggest national stages too. 

Iniesta has to be there, absolute magician in the middle of the park. I actually think my other would be Frank Lampard, the perfect all round midfielder and a pure goal-getter. I think he was the best English midfielder of his generation.

So Iniesta & Lampard.

Archived