talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

35 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Still believe the 3-4-3 diamond was the way B|

Many formations also depend on football cultures.

Maybe once we have the 4-3-3 sorted, we could add a few more players for each position (minus up front which is enough) and we could diversify with different formations.  A squad of 22 would be an idea!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TalkFootball365 All TIme Right Back Winner....

Philipp Lahm

gibt-philipp-lahm-doch-noch-einmal-den-t

ST

LW---------------------RW

CM----CM

DM

Maldini------Puyol-----Nesta-----Lahm

Buffon

Up next is Defensive/Holding Midfielder. This should be well worth a debate. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Lucky we haven't got too many Italians here because Nesta instead of Baresi is an aberration.

That is the problem with the 4-3-3.  The midfield is raped and it's the most important area...  The thing is there have been and are many forward minded players that can play in those areas.

but if most of the people are relatively young, they can't exactly pick Baresi because they've never seen him play.

Like I won't be picking Pele or Maradona because I never had the chance to watch them. I can look back at all their stats and records but sadly it's different to watching them. 

1 minute ago, StanLCFC said:

but if most of the people are relatively young, they can't exactly pick Baresi because they've never seen him play.

Like I won't be picking Pele or Maradona because I never had the chance to watch them. I can look back at all their stats and records but sadly it's different to watching them. 

Yeah, but whoever's seen Nesta, has also seen Cannavaro and I would say no unbiassed Italian would pick Nesta over Cannavaro!  With that said, I'm not putting a slant on Alessandro Nesta who was a very very good defender.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, but whoever's seen Nesta, has also seen Cannavaro and I would say no unbiassed Italian would pick Nesta over Cannavaro!  With that said, I'm not putting a slant on Alessandro Nesta who was a very very good defender.

Correct. Both Nesta and Fabio have legends, but Fabio was great even outside of his World Cup dominance.

• Administrator

Tough to choose between Vieira, Makelele or Xabi Alonso for me. 

If this was done again in a few years time, Kante would be there too but the above performed exquisitely for years on end. Kante has done so for a couple of years and this might sound off, but I'd love to see him win more to be considered a contender. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

In the DM position I'm going 100% with Sergio Busquets.  Never seen anyone better in my lifetime and that's a lot of football...  Vieira and Makélélé are also up there.

Ah, I just can't get past this -

article-2674800-0958E0C2000005DC-775_634

Just now, SirBalon said:

Not important!  He's in the limelight and players do it everywhere, every week mate.

Nobody is a good as him in every department!

I know...I know...but it's just an awful memory I have of them and haven't been able to think of him as anything by a flake.

I still go with Vieira

Just now, ATL said:

I know...I know...but it's just an awful memory I have of them and haven't been able to think of him as anything by a flake.

I still go with Vieira

Believe me...  Nobody likes that, not even Barça fans!  Nobody likes that type of thing even if a player playing for their club does it and there are other things as despicable if not more.

Can't argue your vote on Patrick Vieira...  He was the closest thing to Busquets, without the vision.

Sad that I can't do any more than simply acknowledge legends like Rijkaard, Sammer, Mattheus et al. Tbh - Makelele is even before my time of seriously watching football. 

For me it's between Busquets, Alonso, Pirlo and perhaps one or two more.

I'm going to opt for Busquets. 

Yeah, Pirlo wasn't a defensive midfielder. He was actually quite poor at marking. Just like I don't consider Xabi Alonso so to be a defensive mid.

Cambiasso, Makelele, Busquets, Viera, there has been some good defensive mids. I'll go for Cambiasso.

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Pirlo WAS NOT a defensive midfielder!  He ended up there at the end of his career and needed back up because of playing there so as to have someone to recover what he couldn't due to his legs.

The position on the pitch does not determine the role he plays. A no. 8 can be more defensive than a no. 6. Just as a centre forward can do more defensive work than a winger. 

Pirlo was for a long time a holding midfielder for sure, although not a defensive one.

Pirlo for sure played deeper than Seedorf or Vidal, but that doesn't mean they weren't the ones doing the defensive work.

If someone wants to go Italian, then Gigi Riva is the way to go.  From what I've ever learned he was the greatest ever in that position.  Obviously I didn't live that era but I also didn't live the Lev Yashin era and yet know he was the greatest keeper of all time.

Archived