talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) England (p)1-1 Switzerland - Saturday 6th July, 2024

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's very Sven/Lampard/Gerrard vibes. 

Yeah except Sven’s era as England manager at least produced some football that wasn’t so fucking rubbish to sit through.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

How does Southgate keep getting away with this? 

If Sven-Goran Eriksson were as lucky as Southgate is in the draws, you guys probably would have won a major title in the early 2000s. 

England had an open path to the final in 2018 and now in 2024.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

England are on a run of four games against Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia and Switzerland without winning any in 90 minutes. Brilliant players put together to make a bang average team yet they may yet make the semi final...

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah except Sven’s era as England manager at least produced some football that wasn’t so fucking rubbish to sit through.

It didn't by 2006 and that's the era I feel like we are in.

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

If Sven-Goran Eriksson were as lucky as Southgate is in the draws, you guys probably would have won a major title in the early 2000s. 

England had an open path to the final in 2018 and now in 2024.

I agree with 2002, I feel like Turkey, Germany or South Korea wouldn't have posed a threat to us. It just felt like a tournament where we'd eventually lose to Brazil.

2004 and 2006 though, I think more than one team would have had our number.

Hodgson tried playing Eze left back once against Chelsea during covid and it was the sad moment I realised he shouldn't be Palace manager anymore. I get the same vibes when I see Eze in a similar position.

I’ve watched bits and pieces of games, I’ve watched one full game in the whole tournament, and while the public opinion and media is going to be about Gareth Southgate and England, the entertainment value throughout the tournament has been virtually zero. Eighteen draws across the board, thirteen in the groups, seven 1-0’s and twenty-eight games with two or fewer goals scored. Football is very dull these days. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve watched bits and pieces of games, I’ve watched one full game in the whole tournament, and while the public opinion and media is going to be about Gareth Southgate and England, the entertainment value throughout the tournament has been virtually zero. Eighteen draws across the board, thirteen in the groups, seven 1-0’s and twenty-eight games with two or fewer goals scored. Football is very dull these days. 

Top level football for you. I really enjoyed Turkey vs Austria and the Georgia Spain games because they weren't Pep drilled versions of chess.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Haven't felt this demoralised and optimistic about a team since I watched my team managed by Alan Pardew.

His dance in that match against United was an epic moment though. 😅

As you guys pointed out, Switzerland is the NPC of international football. I still expect England to win it somehow.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Top level football for you. I really enjoyed Turkey vs Austria and the Georgia Spain games because they weren't Pep drilled versions of chess.

That and the rise in data has made football far worse as a spectacle to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Southgate injuring Kane might be the best piece of management he's done all tournament. Not sure about the timing of it right before the shootout though. Might actually have been useful.