Aston Villa vs Bayern Munich
Benfica vs Atletico Madrid
Dinamo Zagreb vs Monaco
Lille vs Real Madrid
Liverpool vs Bologna
RB Leipzig vs Juventus
Sturm Graz vs Club Brugge

• Subscriber

This new format is garbage. Barely any interest at all in it, riddled with complete mismatches. Once again I think it's football in managed decline.

53 minutes ago, Dan said:

This new format is garbage. Barely any interest at all in it, riddled with complete mismatches. Once again I think it's football in managed decline.

There were complete mismatches in the group stage as well, where a number of sides would end up being the whipping boys for two or three other sides. You're always going to get that whatever the format. One thing I will say is I think we'll see a few more hammerings of the lower ranked teams because of goal difference being a much more of an important factor.

• Subscriber

They don't care about the mismatches or the poor clubs playing each other. This whole format change was to generate more "marquee" fixtures in the group stage because $$$, $$$ and $$$. The old group stage format kept the "biggest" clubs apart because of the pots meaning that they had to wait until the second half of the competition to milk Bayern vs Man City and Real Madrid vs Juventus for all that sweet dollar.

I honestly don't think they've considered any other issues and Dortmund hammering Celtic 7-1 won't give them any sort of pause. More goals is more content which is more impressions and interactions on social media. It's true that these results happened already in the group stage. There will probably be more hammerings this year in my opinion but we won't know for sure until it all shakes out.

Personally I'm not that fussed about the Champions League so I don't have a dog in the fight over this whole format thing but it's clear that generating more money is the thought process behind it rather than providing a balanced competition so I don't think the organisers will see it as a drawback at all. I agree though that as a casual if you want to stick a match on it's a lot less appealing now. There's a real lack of incentive for the likes of Celtic and Slovan Bratislava I feel. In this format they already know they're not getting anywhere in the competition even if they take a scalp or two, whereas in the past, if you could cause an upset in one of your six fixtures, you could put yourself in reasonably serious contention to get through.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Despite last nights result, this format gives the likes of Celtic a better chance of reaching the knockout games. 

Really? They're not finishing in the top 8 and if they manage to scrape into the third quarter of the table they still have to go through a playoff against a better team from the top half.

I suppose in terms of proportion, there's not much in it. The bottom quarter get eliminated and the third quarter get the lifeline of the playoff game instead of getting dumped into the Europa League.

I think that's offset though by the fact that it's easier to fluke your way a bit higher than your level in a four-team group in six games than it is over eight games in this weird league structure. In a smaller group, a fluke win is twice as effective because you gain 3 points whilst also denying one of your direct rivals a win.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Conceded 7 three times in the CL as Celtic manager xD

I'm revelling in seeing him getting absolutely battered once again in Europe. His record is shocking. 

Sad for Schmeichel as he's obviously a legend, but Rodgers I will love to see him fail anywhere he goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm revelling in seeing him getting absolutely battered once again in Europe. His record is shocking. 

Sad for Schmeichel as he's obviously a legend, but Rodgers I will love to see him fail anywhere he goes. 

Why this malice? Genuine question? Seem to remember his time at Leicester's helm was rather successful apart from the last season?

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Why this malice? Genuine question? Seem to remember his time at Leicester's helm was rather successful apart from the last season?

Can't deny he had a good first 2 seasons here.

But then his ego took over and he played very much a big part in us getting relegated. Bad signings, falling out with key players, refusal to change his ways despite them clearly not working, refusal to walk away despite things going sour. 

Before he came to Leicester, fans of Liverpool and Celtic referenced that he suffers from third-season syndrome. When things go well, it was all about him and that's what happened in the first two seasons. But when things went downhill in his third season, when he's put his imprint on to the club, then the downsides come to fruition. 

He very rarely took responsibility for it all, either. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Pretty tense first half. The englishe's are losing their mind over that first Upa "challenge" definitely looked more like a clash of legs to me but what you gonna do. Second incident was definitely a yellow and he looks in trouble trying to track Watkins. I dont know how he stays on the pitch but we also dont have any healthy options other then Dier right now lol.