talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah that's a funny trait I find in football fans. How Joe Hart became a far better player while not actually playing for Man City because of Bravo, while he was actually struggling in Italy.

Yeah, personally I've never rated him that highly. Because he's English he gets happily overrated by Sky, but Inalways thought he made mistakes for City that people glossed over. I guess after having keepers like Rob Green the media enjoyed having a more aggressive keeper personality wise.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah, personally I've never rated him that highly. Because he's English he gets happily overrated by Sky, but Inalways thought he made mistakes for City that people glossed over. I guess after having keepers like Rob Green the media enjoyed having a more aggressive keeper personality wise.

I've always thought he's very hit and miss, capable of having a fantastic game (Slovenia away springs to mind last year) but just as capable of costing you a game, and those odd games where he was outstanding people used to compare him to the elite.

Nowadays I just think he looks shot to bits. I think he cares but just isn't particularly strong mentally.

• Subscriber

Nervy game yesterday and for the most part we looked poor when we started and had it not been for Leicester trying to get the goal and the breakaway we'd have capitulated quite easily. I'll take a win any way that it comes but the defensive issues are glaring and initially my MOTM was Coutinho but Migs is the true hero of the day. He stopped Vardy twice and kept us in it till the end. 

• Administrator

was out for the game so only followed updates. One thing that grates on me in football is being gifted the chance to get back in the game and not take it i.e. having a penalty and missing. Frustrated me that we had a chance to go 3-3 and lost it.

Saw Coutinho's free-kick though and that was good. 

We've played Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool in our first 6 games.. Whilst it would have been nice to get more points than the 0 we have, they're not games we're expected to have won. (would have liked at least draws in the home games). Our next run of fixtures are Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Leeds, Everton. After the tough run of fixtures, it's a good chance to build momentum now. Shakespeare has to add more variety to the tactics and formation though. We've become so predictable. 

14 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Surprised Fuchs didn't make it onto the pitch today. He'd've had me shitting myself every time they got a throw in.

he got a nasty eye injury last week hence missing the cup game and although he was on the bench, I doubt there was any plan to bring him on. There as he is our only left-footed defender other than Chilwell.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Are there no Leicester fans wondering how Mignolet stayed on the pitch? Just watched Okazaki's goal and he's clearly pulled his shirt back to try and keep him from tapping it in. Clear foul, last man back and all that.

not seen it yet. I'm sure i'll be raging if that's how it was!

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Are there no Leicester fans wondering how Mignolet stayed on the pitch? Just watched Okazaki's goal and he's clearly pulled his shirt back to try and keep him from tapping it in. Clear foul, last man back and all that.

They scored, no foul, goal was given?xD

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Just now, LFCMike said:

They scored, no foul, goal was given?xD

yeah I'm guessing this was the reason Danny xD.I guess you could say the advantage was played and a goal was scored from it. 

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

But Mignolet fouled him in the process of scoring...play advantage, score goal, send off keeper for fouling attacker when no defenders were between him and the goal.

with the new rule in place about triple jeopardy I doubt he would have been sent off anyway.

Even if there's a foul in the box the new rule states a player wouldn't be sent off because it punishes the opposition team too much given they get a chance to score from a penalty as well as missing the rest of the game and being suspended for the next game(s). 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

watching the highlights now and we should have had another penalty straight after Vardy misses anyway when Can handballed Gray's cross xD

Would have been very harsh in my opinion. Think we had more of a case for the foul on Lovren

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Would have been very harsh in my opinion. Think we had more of a case for the foul on Lovren

hmm, not very harsh considering it's he's blocked the cross wholly with his arm!

Anyway, it is what it is and wasn't given. On another day that might have been and other decisions might not have been given etc.

26 minutes ago, Danny said:

But Mignolet fouled him in the process of scoring...play advantage, score goal, send off keeper for fouling attacker when no defenders were between him and the goal.

Mignolet was fouled prior to that so it should have been irrelevant really

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

hmm, not very harsh considering it's he's blocked the cross wholly with his arm!

Anyway, it is what it is and wasn't given. On another day that might have been and other decisions might not have been given etc.

Wouldn't say that's a pen because it either has to be a purposeful use of the arm or the arm in an unnatural position which I don't think Can's arm could fall under either. Sometimes your arms down and the ball strikes it but it doesn't make it handball.

Archived