talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

1 hour ago, Asura said:

This particular like makes sense and that is what I was thinking too.  It does give a lot of joy for smaller clubs, I remember how Martinez was lauded after winning if with Wigan. 

I probably should have worded better with my previous question. Does a club like United consider league cup a major trophy? Especially after spending so much money and hiring one of the most sought after managers in world football? Isnt League cup mostly used to give a chance to the second team of a club and experiment by the managers?

Yes they do. Not counting competitions like the Community Shield or Super Cup, it's definitely the least important competition for them or any other Premier League club, but it's still a major trophy that's worth winning. A lot of mangers field weakened teams in the earlier rounds but take it more seriously if their team progress deep in the competition, but that's the same as the FA Cup or even the Europa League in many cases. 

With them being out of Premier League title contention for 4 years and not not being realistic Champions League contenders for 6 years, it's importance for them has increased as if they are aren't going to be competing for the two most important trophies, they might as well try to win as many FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League trophies as possible. 

And Mourinho is a manager who loves winning trophies, and reminding us all of how many he has won. He has won the competition 4 times now, and definitely considers the 3 that he won with Chelsea to be important as well. It was his first major trophy in English football back in 2005, so he has fond memories of it. 

In 1991/1992, 2005/2006 and 2009/2010 under Ferguson, it was the only competition that Man Utd won in those seasons, but they still felt that they had won a major trophy in them. Of course for a club the size of Man Utd, winning just the League Cup and nothing else probably wouldn't be enough for them to have a successful season, but it would still be better than nothing. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah that whole saga was dodgy as hell. 

I do think though that Liverpool as defending champions should have entered the group stages directly, but UEFA made them enter the very first qualifying round in July. They had to come through 3 qualifying rounds just to have a shot at defending their own title. Crazy. 

I felt sorry for both Liverpool and Everton there. 

5 years before that Real Madrid had won the Champions League and finished 5th in La Liga, but they were allowed to enter the group stages without playing in any qualifying rounds. 

I will always remember those tedious qualifying games of 2006 because even Carragher managed to get on the scoresheet and Gerrard scored about 10.

Just to add o one of my previous posts about Football stadiums, West Ham United are fucking pathetic. The only way their ground will ever be acceptable is if you knock the cunt down and start again.

Never been but I don't think you have to in order to see how absolutely fucking shocking the cunt is, It's essentially a pile of scaffolding with a few fancy patterns in the seats and a mix of day tripping bellends and angry Cockneys. What could possibly go wrong?

Made worse by the fact they left their traditional home which was a great venue for Football. The way it is at the minute they surely can't stay there for the long distance future. Two great grounds lost within three years, Goodison next to go.

28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Team I'd like to see tonight.

Batshuayi

Loftus-Cheek-------Willian

Alonso--------Chalobah------Cesc-------Moses

Ake--------Terry--------Cahill

Begovic

Yeah that team should do the job, however i don't see Conte resting that much players. He made a total of 38 changes during the season basically one per game, i know the league is done but i think he will have the Fa Cup in mind.

• Administrator

Kenedy has been poor I think. 

Azpilicueta in the mood for some goals!

For a side that has won the league, the atmosphere is a lot to be desired. So quiet. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Kenedy has been poor I think. 

Azpilicueta in the mood for some goals!

For a side that has won the league, the atmosphere is a lot to be desired. So quiet. 

Too busy taking selfies. 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived