talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

not a fucking chance mate!

We were without 4 key players and had a make-shift central midfield and make-shift central defence. After 3-1 or 4-1, players didn't really bother.

I'd rather judge Shakespeare on the 10 games that meant something as opposed to 1 dead-rubber game :) 

Ah fair enough, didn't realise you had so many out. Just got home from work so didn't watch the game. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Exactly, he's just a top striker, no real faults, and as you say its that instinct that sets him apart.

Yeah still see people knocking him - ask the Leicester fans....

Astonishing! Isn't that 3 seasons on the bounce he's scored over 20 Premiere League goals? And with 2-3 long term injuries included? 

You don't score at that rate in this league unless your a top striker. 

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Astonishing! Isn't that 3 seasons on the bounce he's scored over 20 Premiere League goals? And with 2-3 long term injuries included? 

You don't score at that rate in this league unless your a top striker. 

Yeah, it's mad - but just look on social media, tap in merchant, just scores penalties etc. etc. People don't like him because he's English and plays for us, can you imagine the hype he'd get if he's foreign. It's so cliche but also true 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Reminder that this Spurs' side struggled to get past Leverkusen in the group stage who are sitting a mighty 12th in the Bundesliga.

Different time completely, that was our worst spell of the season, big injuries to Kane and Alderweireld etc. not used to Wembley - drew 4 games in a row in the league. 

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

WTF Leicester xD

Could this result cost Shakespeare a shot full time?

That's my worry. I think he had it in the bag barring a disaster. Tonight absolutely was that.

That was absolutely awful from us. Didn't think we had that in us under Shakespeare.

Spurs the best side to come here since we've come up, by a distance. I can't talk highly enough of how well they played tonight.

I actually thought we were better tonight than we were in some of our games earlier this season, Chelsea 0-3, Man Utd 0-3, Southampton 3-0, Porto 5-0 etc... there was a point I did actually think we would come back. But the 3rd finished it and from then on they ran riot.

These last few games could've made a real statement ahead of next season. Sadly tonight we've just shown ourselves up. Massively disappointing.

I'm still in favour of Shakespeare getting it. He got it wrong but in fairness there's only so much he can do about some of that defending. Suppose people will stop pretending Huth isn't a big miss for us now.

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ah fair enough, didn't realise you had so many out. Just got home from work so didn't watch the game. 

Yeah worth pointing that out as well. No-one to blame but ourselves (although not Shakespeare) for our lack of depth but we had a few out tonight. Both first choice centre halves, two of our first three choice centre mids. But it was the same at Man City and we didn't crumble there like we did tonight.

Tonight shows we need some real depth in this squad. A lot of players let themselves down.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Just a shame that Kane totally bottles it when he comes to play for England.

I'm convinced Pochettino gets the absolute maximum out of these players. None of Spurs' players look even close to this good in an England shirt. Reflects very well on him as a coach.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm convinced Pochettino gets the absolute maximum out of these players. None of Spurs' players look even close to this good in an England shirt. Reflects very well on him as a coach.

Play Alli and Kane together in a two, get the full backs bombing on and someone pulling the strings like Eriksen (Lallana) and we're in business

17 minutes ago, Storts said:

Different time completely, that was our worst spell of the season, big injuries to Kane and Alderweireld etc. not used to Wembley - drew 4 games in a row in the league. 

True but it still happened, good sides get through those periods. We'll see how you do in the Champions League next season. I for one question whether a lot of our side will be good enough for next season especially in the Champions League, it's important we buy well.

I'm not hating, despite what you are to us, I have a lot of respect for your team and would love to see something similar at Chelsea with youngsters getting the chance. It's great for English football and I'll be fuming if Southgate doesn't use Spurs as a blueprint for the national team particularly in terms of starting eleven. You still haven't won anything though with this team and for me that has to come next season, no excuses.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Screenshot_20170518-171318.thumb.png.ac909bf5ee259bf6e46e6b2db146c3aa.png

So much for the advantage of playing home :52_fearful:

The game finishes 1-6 and you're focusing on the stats. You're a parody xD

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Have you actually seen Uniteds home record this season under Mourinho you fucking plumb xD

Less points at home than us xD

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Storts said:

Exactly, he's just a top striker, no real faults, and as you say its that instinct that sets him apart.

Yeah still see people knocking him - ask the Leicester fans....

Not sure who that's directed at but can't remember when I've said that I wasn't a fan of Kane or knocked him. I think he's fantastic and a breath of fresh air for the league and hopefully for the country in the future. Unquestionable ability with both feet and aerially. Can't ask for more from a striker. 

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure who that's directed at but can't remember when I've said that I wasn't a fan of Kane or knocked him. I think he's fantastic and a breath of fresh air for the league and hopefully for the country in the future. Unquestionable ability with both feet and aerially. Can't ask for more from a striker. 

I wasn't aiming it at either of you in that way - just in the sense of ask you about some of the comments from other Leicester fans...although even they in fairness now seem to have been won over.

It's only jealous West Ham and Arsenal fans still in denial

• Administrator

I bet some fans are still envious that he's doing the job now but couldn't do the job when he was on loan with us. 

But that was a different time. Different game. He was a different kind of player as well, much younger and still learning. Let alone being pushed out on the wing. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Storts said:

I wasn't aiming it at either of you in that way - just in the sense of ask you about some of the comments from other Leicester fans...although even they in fairness now seem to have been won over.

No denying some of our fans still slag him off. I think some of our fans need to get a bit of a grip to be honest, about Kane and Spurs in general. I've slagged Spurs off a lot, no doubt about that, but it's gone a bit far at our end now and it's looking pettier and pettier as it goes on, it's not reflecting well on us either.

For that loan spell Kane had here I would aim questions at how we handled him as much as how he performed, because we quite clearly got nowhere near the best from him.

Still seen someone on Foxestalk, called HK18, similar posting style to you on there posting about him :D

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Stan said:

I bet some fans are still envious that he's doing the job now but couldn't do the job when he was on loan with us. 

But that was a different time. Different game. He was a different kind of player as well, much younger and still learning. Let alone being pushed out on the wing. 

Yep, like I say, I think we've got to look at ourselves here as well. I think it took a lot of our fans a while to get over how well he'd actually done post-Leicester after being so forgettable in his time here, but I don't buy this myth it was down to attitude etc... how is it in Kane's interest in any way, shape or form to not try for Leicester on loan? There was no friction between us what so ever at that point.

The real irony is our best forward and Spurs' best forward both really struggled for form in our side that year, so if you love Vardy you can't pin it all on Kane.

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Mate, football fans are like that. If a certain player does awful for your club, then they will hate that player and look for excuses to not rate them.

Surely you've heard of Raul Ruidiaz now, I go on and on and on about him in the Liga MX thread. He's the top scorer of Mexico now and Melgar fans still don't rate them simply because he was awful for them. I always see them on Twitter insulting him and looking for excuses to not rate him as a player. Its the same with Claudio Pizarro over here. He was always abysmal for the national team, so it doesn't matter that he has 200+ goals in the bundesliga. He was awful for us so most of us will delude ourselves into thinking he's not very good. Its not different in Kane's case with Leicester fans as far as I see it. That's how football fans are, especially 1 club people which there are many out there. By that I mean people who only watch matches of their own club.

• Subscriber

There was a player for Spurs yesterday who really caught my eye, incredibly it wasn't Kane, it was Son. His movement is absolutely phenomenal. He's unbelievable at beating the offside.

The way Spurs have reacted since that West Ham defeat 2 weeks ago, compared to the slip-up at home to West Brom last season, has further highlighted just how much they have improved this season. 

Especially given how much money the 2 Manchester clubs spent on transfers and wages this summer, I thought that Spurs wouldn't even finish in the top 4 this season, let alone finish 2nd so comfortably. It's a remarkable achievement given how small their wage bill is compared to the other clubs in the top 6. 

I think I read somewhere that from 2001-2015, 80% of the top 4 places / finishes in the Premier League were occupied by teams that had one of the 4 highest wage bills in the country in those respective seasons. Obviously since then Leicester last season and Spurs in the last 2 seasons have almost defied the laws of gravity to made a mockery of that. 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived