talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Transfers & Rumours

football forum

• Subscriber

Despite Holloway saying our transfer business was done, we've signed Virgil Gomis on a season long loan from Nottingham Forest. ANOTHER forward and makes it 7 loanees now with only 5 permitted in a matchday squad. I suppose it'll be good for cover etc.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That was a bit out of left field as he wasn't linked with us at all. Him coming in and hopefully Joe Day leaving can only be a good thing. 

He was out of contract at the end of the season and had said he wasn’t going to re-sign so with the salary cap, Charlton were keen to move him on now. 

I rate him. I think he’s steady for the Championship. Not the greatest kicker but a good shot stopper. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Heard anything about this from your end @Stan and @Dan?

Seems to have gone quiet at our end. 

I personally haven't. I've about given up on him making it here. Seems to be permanently injured or out on loan. One of the two always. I wouldn't be averse to selling. Highly regarded but clearly has issues.

I wonder if the fact we've had this crisis with centre halves in the last week has meant we've put a stop to it.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'd be surprised if Dillon Phillips forces Alex Smithies to give up the number one spot to be honest. A very good second choice Goalkeeper mind you.

He's an improvement on Joe Day, which is the main thing. From what others have said, this sounds like when he had Marshall and Heaton at the same time in that both are very good goalkeepers and that the number two could be number one as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

An absolute joke that he’s allowed to be anywhere near our club. Thousands of fans waiting to be at a game and this cretin is allowed in to watch and potentially be a part of our club. It just goes to show how deluded and money orientated our club really are. It’s not about the fans, it’s not about the players, it’s about cold hard cash.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:36, Pyfish said:

An absolute joke that he’s allowed to be anywhere near our club. Thousands of fans waiting to be at a game and this cretin is allowed in to watch and potentially be a part of our club. It just goes to show how deluded and money orientated our club really are. It’s not about the fans, it’s not about the players, it’s about cold hard cash.

The offers been rejected but its astonishing that his interest was allowed to continue to the stage that it did.

For those that don't know Alex May he is an arsehole. He committed identity fraud against the elderly to the scale where he would clone their identities and remortgage their houses to the scale where he made three and a half million pounds. He got six years for it.

I've got a lot of time for Ian Holloway based on how he conducted himself at Crystal Palace and I really hope he avoids having to work with him.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

The offers been rejected but its astonishing that his interest was allowed to continue to the stage that it did.

For those that don't know Alex May he is an arsehole. He committed identity fraud against the elderly to the scale where he would clone their identities and remortgage their houses to the scale where he made three and a half million pounds. He got six years for it.

I've got a lot of time for Ian Holloway based on how he conducted himself at Crystal Palace and I really hope he avoids having to work with him.

Thank god.

Holloway is great. He's got a lot of support from our fans but there's a small section of our Twitter support that are beginning to blame him for everything. He's expected to make a statement soon about the whole board situation etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Does anyone here know much about Carlisle United? Rodrigo Vilca is linked to a loan there, which I consider a step too low for him, but if it does concrete I'm curious if it's fit his technical game and if he would learn physically from it.

@Smiley Culture @Stan @Lucas @Danny @Carnivore Chris

Never heard of the player but all I'll say is good luck with the weather in Carlisle.

He'll need it.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Does anyone here know much about Carlisle United? Rodrigo Vilca is linked to a loan there, which I consider a step too low for him, but if it does concrete I'm curious if it's fit his technical game and if he would learn physically from it.

in same division as @Pyfish's Grimsby so he might know more. All I know is they're top of League Two...

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Never heard of the player but all I'll say is good luck with the weather in Carlisle.

He'll need it.

You don't need to. I've seen him plenty of times and think he's a promising player. I would be surprised if he results in another Solano but he's a good player who can have a bottom half PL potential I reckon.

His problem is he's not even close to ready for the physique of the PL, and a Brit told me L2 is great to get into shape, but the football played is awful with it mostly being a hoof ball fest. That won't comfort any Peruvian player, who always try to keep the ball on the floor.

He's at Newcastle in case you didn't know :) 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

in same division as @Pyfish's Grimsby so he might know more. All I know is they're top of League Two...

Yeah I have seen that. I am just wondering if they try to play or resemble the stereotypical lower league British team.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

You don't need to. I've seen him plenty of times and think he's a promising player. I would be surprised if he results in another Solano but he's a good player who can have a bottom half PL potential I reckon.

His problem is he's not even close to ready for the physique of the PL, and a Brit told me L2 is great to get into shape, but the football played is awful with it mostly being a hoof ball fest. That won't comfort any Peruvian player, who always try to keep the ball on the floor.

He's at Newcastle in case you didn't know :) 

I think that's a fair comment on League Two.

He will need to be physical, a lot more thuggary and savage tackles go on in the lower leagues, things are let go more often but that's also down to the ineptitude of the ref's, so he will have to try and hold his own. 

It will be great experience for him though. You need to be physical anyway to make it in England generally no matter what division.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I think that's a fair comment on League Two.

He will need to be physical, a lot more thuggary and savage tackles go on in the lower leagues, things are let go more often but that's also down to the ineptitude of the ref's, so he will have to try and hold his own. 

It will be great experience for him though. You need to be physical anyway to make it in England generally no matter what division.

I personally don't mind the move to Carlisle to be honest. My only worry is if the league will finish, as it didn't last season and that tells me there is little priority compared to the PL and Championship.

A lot of Peruvians are disappointed because we were told he would go to a Championship team. If he does go to League Two, it would be sacrificing a national team call up for the moment. However, patience is a virtue. If he does get stronger and then play in the Premier League, or the Championship, then he could become a key player for Peru.

The only other concern is he must go to a team that tries to play. Peruvian players are some of the most technical in South America, and that's pretty much all most have going for them. Vilca is a bit better in that regard but it will be complete culture shock for him as nobody plays like that in Peru.

13 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I know people from Carlisle, mainly through work, but not too much about the club.

Largely a league 2/league 1 side but I think I remember them spending a season or 2 in the conference which is the top of the non-league divisions here in England. 

As mentioned, he won't enjoy the weather up there as it's as bad as English weather can possibly get. In fact their stadium and pitch got seriously flooded during the floods the other year. Decent little fan-base though as they're a club with that true local feel and local support. 

And their ground? Brunton Park. 

• Subscriber

Carlisle is going to be a culture shock for him @Mpache. The weather isn't great and as for the football, it's true that most of the teams play hoof ball but you also get some really technically brilliant football being played too from some sides. It's a great place for a player to learn the physical aspect of the English game. We've had a lot of players from overseas over the years who've come here and played for us in League Two and been shocked at how much they get battered on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

Doing really well this season with an inexperienced manager and a young squad. Defensively very sound (3rd best at that level) and scoring a fair few as well. They don’t appear to dominate possession though so appear to be an effective counter attacking side. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived