• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Thursday 26th April - Arsenal 1-1 Atlético Madrid (SF 1st Leg)

Recommended Posts

going for a draw or a narrow home win here.. 1-1 or 2-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of Arsenal's biggest games for such a long time,   nothing but a win will do and a clean sheet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Arsenal are more than capable of winning tonight. Atletico just don't seem to concede at home. That's what would worry me with this tie.

I can see Arsenal winning 2-1 riding off the back of the Wenger factor. But I think that away goal will be crucial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said before when the draw was made, Simeone doesn't like to play the first leg away and brining whatever job needs to be done home.  He likes it the other way around and believes that pressure is best served for the rival in front of their home faithful.  The important thing as Lucas has stated is NOT to concede tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Like I said before when the draw was made, Simeone doesn't like to play the first leg away and brining whatever job needs to be done home.  He likes it the other way around and believes that pressure is best served for the rival in front of their home faithful.  The important thing as Lucas has stated is NOT to concede tonight.

If it is a score draw, then its over, plus Arsenal do not have the midfield and defensive set up to go away and even hold on to a slim lead, they havent even picked up a point in the league since 31st December away to WBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

If it is a score draw, then its over, plus Arsenal do not have the midfield and defensive set up to go away and even hold on to a slim lead, they havent even picked up a point in the league since 31st December away to WBA. 

Atleti this season have gone from the strangely erratic, to the stable, to the sublime and now rather erratic again (that's been this season in a nutshell)... Scoring goals was a problem at the start of the season, then they went into their normality under Simeone which was score and be able to defend with their eyes closed and then went through three months of ripping teams apart with goals galore... Now they've gone back to suffering to score although defensively they're ok minor odd mishaps.

In other words... Lucky this tie came now and not just under a month ago.  All the same, they're a much more superior side to us in every aspect and better coached.  Although in cup football as Simeone well knows, anything can happen and it's all about holding nerves for two games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Atleti this season have gone from the strangely erratic, to the stable, to the sublime and now rather erratic again (that's been this season in a nutshell)... Scoring goals was a problem at the start of the season, then they went into their normality under Simeone which was score and be able to defend with their eyes closed and then went through three months of ripping teams apart with goals galore... Now they've gone back to suffering to score although defensively they're ok minor odd mishaps.

In other words... Lucky this tie came now and not just under a month ago.  All the same, they're a much more superior side to us in every aspect and better coached.  Although in cup football as Simeone well knows, anything can happen and it's all about holding nerves for two games.

Well PSV Eindhoven were able to bring Atletico Madrid to Penalties the other season and that was a far better Madrid team,  so there is some hope for Arsenal but Cocu is a very tactical equipped coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Well PSV Eindhoven were able to bring Atletico Madrid to Penalties the other season and that was a far better Madrid team,  so there is some hope for Arsenal but Cocu is a very tactical equipped coach. 

I said at the time that the tie between PSV v Atlético Madrid was the most tactical chess board game I'd seen in years. Both teams played completely differently in both legs and both coaches were wide eyed on what was going on with constant adjustments.  It's the modern coach that not only has his own understanding about all of this but a team of people that design all the moves... There has to be trust though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image may contain: text

 

Not at all confident about Mustafi but there is no other option anyways... COYG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's my birthday and I'd like Arsenal to go on to win this to give Wenger a nice little send off, so give me a birthday win Arsenal.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's my birthday and I'd like Arsenal to go on to win this to give Wenger a nice little send off, so give me a birthday win Arsenal.

Happy Birthday mate!!! ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't really call it, I'm sure Atletico will be very strong even though they have been patchy recently. By all accounts they should walk this tie, but Wenger and this team seem to always pull something out the hat, especially in recent seasons. Overall just hope we put in a solid performance over both legs.

I do have to say I am a tad worried about our lack of width, feel like Welbeck will need to have a top game for us to have any chance of grabbing a few goals. I think 3 at the back might have just been the way to go for this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fancy Mustafa needing to keep an eye on Griezmann or Gameiro if Arsenal play high up the pitch, which Simeone will be banking on.

I think it's best to play it cagey and make sure Atleti don't get the away goal. They always play on the finest margins in 2-leg ties, and teams that try to batter them typically fall right into their trap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what a chance for Arsenal. Great cross by Welbeck. Lacazette has to at least hit the target there and test Oblak. Shaves the side of the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lacazette header well saved by Oblak (Slovenian).

Arsenal having a really good start here.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red card for Vrsjalko! 

2 bookings but that seemed harsh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lacazette hard to bury that first chance, very poor miss. Great start by us.

Vrsaljko sent off for Atletico. 2 yellows already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Red card for Vrsjalko! 

2 bookings but that seemed harsh. 

Thought that was definitely worthy of a second yellow, although I though the first one was harsh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha wtf I missed the first yellow I was fucking bewildered.

Dont know if the first yellow was legit but that’s a surefire 2nd yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simeone sent to the stands xDxD 

Ref is on one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Thought that was definitely worthy of a second yellow, although I though the first one was harsh.

First one was fully deserved for me... The second his foot rolls off the ball and catches him on the foot... accidental for me.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Wenger has cashed in any chips he was holding on UEFA and got himself the Referee of Wet Dreams.

Still could turn out a sticky ending ~ We will see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement