talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

Just now, SirBalon said:

He’s been the best player of the year. He didn’t just show up for four or five games... He was THE MAN when his team was in turmoil and this season which has had four of the 12 months of the year inserted into it all, he’s been a million light years ahead of anything playing the sport. 

Same with in 2016 as well. In fact, since 2015(after and year and half or so of struggling), I genuinely don't see how anybody in the world has been comparable as an individual footballer. He's all over the pitch.

(Good to see commentary on these videos nowadays)

The 2 goals vs Eibar and Celta are 2 of the most underrated in his career. It's as if people are numb to his magic these days at times.

Just now, Cicero said:

De Gea without a shadow of a doubt. Ter Stefan at least has a defence in front of him 

There have been many times where Barcelona have kept a clean sheet simply due to Ter Stegen. He makes a lot of quality and very important saves.

I'd place de Gea at the top of the list as he's been at the top of his game longer now, but Ter Stegen is up there now, top 2-3.

Barcelona’s defence has been astounding this season without a doubt and I get where Cicero is going with his comment. Pique has been majestic for two years now especially this season and Umtiti is simply the best foreign signing Barça have made in donkeys years, even better than Suárez because Barça’s defence was always in question. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barcelona’s defence has been astounding this season without a doubt and I get where Cicero is going with his comment. Pique has been majestic for two years now especially this season and Umtiti is simply the best foreign signing Barça have made in donkeys years, even better than Suárez because Barça’s defence was always in question. 

The thing with Pique is also his importance in attack as well. He loves to get forward and it causes all types of problems for the opposition.

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The thing with Pique is also his importance in attack as well. He loves to get forward and it causes all types of problems for the opposition.

It definitely gives rival defences more to think about because he’s not an idiot with his feet to say the least. Barcelona offer enough in attack to rival any team in Europe and Piqué loves to get involved.

Another thing I love about Gerard Piqué is the fact he’s a controversial character as much as Ramos to ise as an example... But the difference on the pitch is that Piqué doesn’t tend to lose the plot and get himsel sent-off.

But back to the debate in question... Ter Stegen as you’ve rightly said has saved many positive results this season with some miraculous saves. Stuff that De Gea is known for. For me the top three keepers in the world right now are De Gea, Ter Stegen and Oblak. It’s upto each individual to select their preferences in my opinion. 

Ter Stegen has had some issues in his growth as a keeper. Things like keeping his concentration and one element that was curiously unique to him as a top level goalkeeper in terms of he would at times strangely not bother to make an effort if he thought a shot was too good. That was frustrating but he’s definitely fixed that! The other issue with him has been his confidence with the ball at his feet... He’s brilliant at that and his mid to long range pass accuracy is impressive even for a full blown midfielder. Even that he seems to have fixed a lot these days and lets not forget that Víctor Valdés also had those problems as a young keeper breaking into the side.

In that video La Liga (LFP) have issued in their Twitter account we can see some incredible saves, saves against some of the best attackers in the game. 

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Yerry Mina on his way. Not good enough for Barcelona though because "he plays in a feedar liga in brazeel"

@Smiley Culture look forward to your insults this time. Light entertainment.

So, he’s going to one of Europe’s big leagues from a feeder league like I said? He’ll be gutted he can’t join a big club like Rio Ave and make himself a real big name. 

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

So, he’s going to one of Europe’s big leagues from a feeder league like I said? He’ll be gutted he can’t join a big club like Rio Ave and make himself a real big name. 

But you said he wasn't good enough, so you were (unsurprisingly) wrong.

Whether he will live up to the same level he's had in South America we'll have to see, but it was funny, you went out to insult the entire Colombian race and basically laughed him off for playing in Brazil. Typical embarrassing euro centrism from a centralized English.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

But you said he wasn't good enough, so you were (unsurprisingly) wrong.

Whether he will live up to the same level he's had in South America we'll have to see, but it was funny, you went out to insult the entire Colombian race and basically laughed him off for playing in Brazil. Typical embarrassing euro centrism from a centralized English.

No I didn’t. I said that these players need to play in a top League to be considered a top player. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

No I didn’t. I said that these players need to play in a top League to be considered a top player. 

No they don't. 

It's not like he plays in the Maltese league FFS!

a defender who plays against the likes of Messi, Agüero, Falcao and Higuain at international, don't you think that's good enough? Or do you only rate the likes of Ross McCormack and Steven Fletcher?

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Blue said:

No they don't. 

a defender who plays against the likes of Messi, Agüero, Falcao and Higuain at international, don't you think that's good enough? Or do you only rate the likes of Ross McCormack and Steven Fletcher?

that's a couple of games every few months (if that), though.

I guess you can get a better feeling on a player when they play consistently in a bigger, better and more competitive league (i.e. from Brazil to Spain) which is what Smiley was getting at probably. 

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

No they don't. 

International football as an example of players being good. Mate, you’re not winning this one. Mina needed to come to England, Italy, Spain, Germany and maybe Holland or France to prove his ability on a bigger stage week in, week out. Not every few months in Internationals. He’s doing it, we’ll see if your prediction is right. 

You couldn't have a better or more recent example of all of this perception given as to a player's worth than Paulinho in recent months.  He was signed by Spurs because he was a promising prospect and failed there which hurt his status as a player that can make it in the most difficult football circuit of all which is Europe. He went to China and was labelled a failure even though for his country (Brazil) he was still doing the business and being selected while in the Chinese Super League.  Barcelona took a bet on him and there were many raised eyebrows at this decision but he's been more than just decent and gone onto repair some of the damage done by his failure in the Premier League... Even with all of this there are still some doubters as to if hell totally repair that damage which shows how important and how tough playing in Europe's top football is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

You couldn't have a better or more recent example of all of this perception given as to a player's worth than Paulinho in recent months.  He was signed by Spurs because he was a promising prospect and failed there which hurt his status as a player that can make it in the most difficult football circuit of all which is Europe. He went to China and was labelled a failure even though for his country (Brazil) he was still doing the business and being selected while in the Chinese Super League.  Barcelona took a bet on him and there were many raised eyebrows at this decision but he's been more than just decent and gone onto repair some of the damage done by his failure in the Premier League... Even with all of this there are still some doubters as to if hell totally repair that damage which shows how important and how tough playing in Europe's top football is.

Unlike players such as Douglas and Marlon, who were strange signings and made no sense, Yerry Mina is an actual talent who has already proven a lot out in South America and also has experience playing for his country. So I don't see this one as being a strange signing or a risk, especially when you consider that he's not going to cost a ridiculous fee. He could well end up being a steal and I think he could adapt his game well to Spanish football, as talented Colombians seem to often do well there. It's all about him getting the minutes really. Umtiti is currently injured and it remains to be seen if Vermaelen(who is doing well lately, it has to be said) can stay injury free for the rest of the season, which is unfortunately doubtful when you consider his track record.

Either way, with Mascherano off, a 4th choice defender is a must and Yerry Mina will definitely get the pitch time I'd say. It might not work out for him, but there is definitely a strong possibility that it will and for the low price he will cost, it's not really a risk in a financial sense.

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

International football as an example of players being good. Mate, you’re not winning this one. Mina needed to come to England, Italy, Spain, Germany and maybe Holland or France to prove his ability on a bigger stage week in, week out. Not every few months in Internationals. He’s doing it, we’ll see if your prediction is right. 

The Dutch league is terrible in this day and age and more players going from that league to the Spanish one seem to struggle more than ones going from South America, specifically the Brazilian and Argentine leagues.

Some players who have gone directly to Spain from South America and are still active:- Neymar, Aguero, Higuain, Marcelo, Dani Alves, Godin, Miranda, Casemiro, Filipe Luis...

Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, but there isn't a bigger risk buying players from Brazil or Argentina for a Spanish club than buying them from Holland, or even some of the other countries mentioned. Holland in the past was one of the breeding grounds for talent and some top players left for Spain(some very influential figures at that), but South America has always been a go to continent for talent when it comes to Spanish clubs. If not in Spain itself, then Brazil, Argentina, France and Portugal are great countries to find bargains and players that are suited to the Spanish game. Obviously England would be a great place to buy quality as it's ready made talent, but when Van Dijk is going for 75 million, it doesn't make sense to shop there.

England is a bit different due to the cultural differences, but players going directly from South America to Spain works out a lot and it has been common theme since even before Di Stefano's days.

As I mentioned in my post to Balon above, players such as Marlon Santos and Douglas didn't work out, but neither really came with high potential or after doing anything, they were simply outright nonsense signings and nothing was expected from either of them really. Mina on the other hand, is actually one of the stand out talents in Brazil right now, is already an international for Colombia and the price he will cost isn't ridiculous. It's worth taking the risk on him if you ask me.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 1

On 28/12/2017 at 0:19 PM, The Rebel CRS said:

@El_Loco What is the current situation with Arthur Henrique Ramos de Oliveira Melo?

Grêmio stated that they want 50 million euros for Arthur. So far, apparently, Barcelona doesn´t seem in a rush to deal with Grêmio. Barcelona´s board is well aware Arthur wants to join Barça but the deal will probably happen in July. 

So what does Valverde do now? He has a headache, as that is some squad he has.

New signing Coutinho, Dembele back from injury, Iniesta showing he still has plenty left, Messi and Suarez on fire, Paulinho showing everyone that he's the best Brazilian mid since Zico(:ph34r:), Sergi Roberto looking the most comfortable he ever has at right back, with Semedo always impressing(that's a big headache itself), Arnaiz showing the form he is when called up and Andre Gomes doing much better than under Enrique. Rakitic is also playing well, Paco and Denis have done enough in the rare times they actually get chances, Busquets is back to his best.... This gives Valverde many headaches, as that is a strong squad of players who all seem hungry to impress and hold down a role.

Rafinha going is probably for the best as there is no chance of him getting any minutes I don't think now. Celta would be a great club for him as he was brilliant there last time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

So what does Valverde do now? He has a headache, as that is some squad he has.

New signing Coutinho, Dembele back from injury, Iniesta showing he still has plenty left, Messi and Suarez on fire, Paulinho showing everyone that he's the best Brazilian mid since Zico(:ph34r:), Sergi Roberto looking the most comfortable he ever has at right back, with Semedo always impressing(that's a big headache itself), Arnaiz showing the form he is when called up and Andre Gomes doing much better than under Enrique. Rakitic is also playing well, Paco and Denis have done enough in the rare times they actually get chances, Busquets is back to his best.... This gives Valverde many headaches, as that is a strong squad of players who all seem hungry to impress and hold down a role.

Rafinha going is probably for the best as there is no chance of him getting any minutes I don't think now. Celta would be a great club for him as he was brilliant there last time.

As incredible as it may sound, add another headache to it all and believe, it's a real headache.  I'm not sure coaches want to have things as comfortable as he has them now the way the league table is at the moment.  Motivation is one tough mental skill to keep alive with these sorts of people.  The only motivational game he can play on the team at this moment in time for La Liga games is to tell them that they have a chance to make history by creating the biggest gap ever in winning a title. I'm not sure how he's going to go about this because when motivation winds down and you reduce the gears, you can then find yourself going into a bad run of results and all of a sudden going up the gears isn't so easy because you don't just select the, like you do in a car.

As for everything you've said... Incredible to be honest considering what the situation looked like just before the season started.  Even Gerard Piqué in an interview after Real wiped the floor with Barça in the Supercopa de España that for the first time in his almost 10 years playing for the club's first team he felt that Real Madrid were supremely superior to them.  Never even on rate defeats since he returned to Barcelona had he felt that.  But look at things now like you've said... What looked like Barcelona's worst squad in years, suddenly looks jam packed and add to that the team's confidence due to the fact they still remain undefeated in all competitions and we're now halfway through the season.

What compares right now?

Man City in the Premier League?

Manchester a City also look absolutely sublime and on a particular role that creates not only confidence but also the sense of invincibility.  The team starts to think that it's impossible to lose and even if they go behind, the confidence will drive them onto winning or as a minimum a draw if the performance isn't what it should be.

Apart from that (on all fronts, in all competitions) nobody else looks at that level. There is Bayern in Germany, Napoli in Italy with Porto and Sporting in Portugal still undefeated too... Even Benfica have only lost 1 game.

A coach's job has difficulties even when things are going marvellously. 

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So it turns out that Coutinho’s injury was for real after all... He has a hamstring strain which will keep him out for a maximum of three weeks although could be back in two according to as.com.

Off he goes to PSG.

• Haha 2