talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

If Barcelona signs only Dybala to replace Neymar then I think they´d be worse off. Dybala doesn´t have the speed nor the dribbling skills of Neymar, who is a better player in my opinion. Don´t get me wrong, Dybala is a very good player, I just don´t think he alone would make up for Neymar´s loss. 

Like I´ve said before, if Barcelona sign Dybala and a good midfielder with the Neymar money, then I think they´ll become a better and more balanced team. 

42 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

If Barcelona signs only Dybala to replace Neymar then I think they´d be worse off. Dybala doesn´t have the speed nor the dribbling skills of Neymar, who is a better player in my opinion. Don´t get me wrong, Dybala is a very good player, I just don´t think he alone would make up for Neymar´s loss. 

Like I´ve said before, if Barcelona sign Dybala and a good midfielder with the Neymar money, then I think they´ll become a better and more balanced team. 

Neymar is a better individual but Dybala is more bedded into the European football life and he hasn't got the issues Neymar has.  That for starters...  But they play in similar positions in the field and he is the next best thing plus he can add more of an all round team connection and not so individualistic which stunts Barcelona's style of play as it stops the passing and moving.

They both provide different things even though they both play in similar positions.

On the midfield situation...  That's something they have to sort out with or without Neymar.  Neymar's presence if he were to stay (hypothetically speaking) wouldn't mean that Barça suddenly have no midfield issues.  The problem is that unless Verratti comes, there is no solution this summer because the only other answer said no at the start of the summer which was Thiago Alcántara possibly returning.  He doesn't want anything to do with the present board and I don't blame him.

40 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Neymar is a better individual but Dybala is more bedded into the European football life and he hasn't got the issues Neymar has.  That for starters...  But they play in similar positions in the field and he is the next best thing plus he can add more of an all round team connection and not so individualistic which stunts Barcelona's style of play as it stops the passing and moving.

They both provide different things even though they both play in similar positions.

On the midfield situation...  That's something they have to sort out with or without Neymar.  Neymar's presence if he were to stay (hypothetically speaking) wouldn't mean that Barça suddenly have no midfield issues.  The problem is that unless Verratti comes, there is no solution this summer because the only other answer said no at the start of the summer which was Thiago Alcántara possibly returning.  He doesn't want anything to do with the present board and I don't blame him.

i agree that Dybala doesn´t care the luggage (his father) Neymar does and that Neymar can hold the ball too much at times and lose posession in a foolish way in many occasions But I just don´t think Dybala comes close to Neymar in terms of talent. I think many fans have this image of Dybala watching only his highlights and not week in and week out of Juventus football. Even Chiellini has said recently that Dybala is not on the same class of Neymar. 

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

i agree that Dybala doesn´t care the luggage (his father) Neymar does and that Neymar can hold the ball too much at times and lose posession in a foolish way in many occasions But I just don´t think Dybala comes close to Neymar in terms of talent. I think many fans have this image of Dybala watching only his highlights and not week in and week out of Juventus football. Even Chiellini has said recently that Dybala is not on the same class of Neymar. 

I said that Neymar is better mate.  Neymar is in amongst the top three players in the world but for me the next best thing to fill Neymar's position is Paulo Dybala.  Nobody else comes close right now that I can think of.

Neymar has dug a grave for himself with me because of what's occurred and how it's occurred.  But obviously he's the best option and he's already there.  But living on the edge with that kind of personality isn't good for the club or the fans.  He needs to go!  That's the way I am and if Messi done the same, I would feel the same way.  Individuals are NOT the club.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Barcelona are better off selling Neymar for some cash plus Verratti and use that cash to get Dybala? This way they can offload an extremely talented drama queen who throws his tantrums every summer and get a good midfielder who they were wanting since Xavi's departure and also get a world class young talent who has proven himself in Serie A and CL already. 

3 minutes ago, Asura said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Barcelona are better off selling Neymar for some cash plus Verratti and use that cash to get Dybala? This way they can offload an extremely talented drama queen who throws his tantrums every summer and get a good midfielder who they were wanting since Xavi's departure and also get a world class young talent who has proven himself in Serie A and CL already. 

Literally everyone thinks that. Join the club. WE have cookies. 

Edited by Cicero

Just now, Cicero said:

Literally everyone thinks that. Join the club. WE have cookies. 

Hahaha sorry for being late to the party then. I havent read all the replies above in this thread regarding this issue. I came back from a short vacation and Im catching up with the stuff of forum now 

I'd gladly let Neymar go if it means getting other high quality players like that who would improve the team as a whole.

Last friendly game of the US tour today against Manchester United ( the Clasico isn't a 'friendly' )...we'll be playing against a team who've played a lot of games already and are further into their preseason than us, so it'll be interesting to see how we get on against a team as sharp as they're supposed to be

On 7/23/2017 at 8:24 PM, SirBalon said:

On 7/23/2017 at 8:24 PM, SirBalon said:

There it is. 

One of the marks of a great club is that no player is bigger than the club. The monent an individual becomes as big as a club is the moment the club no longer maintains any substantial significance in the world of football. 

Completely agree. Not even Messi is bigger than the team. If ever there came a time when he hinders the progress the development and success of the team as a whole, then it's time for him to be sold for a record fee.

Barcelona thrived long before Messi came on the scene and will thrive long after he leaves.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:36 PM, SirBalon said:

Barcelona will survive because that's the nature of the game and the fact Barça are a club off their own making and rooted in everything that is the sport historically.  PSG are making their own history and have to purchase their destiny which I understand.  They couldn't have a more perfect owner in an Arab for this though because money to them is the object that coaxes infidels into selling their souls.  I would expect that last bit for you or maybe someone else is a step too far or borderline.  I know these people...  I deal with these people over three or four times five days a week...  So anyone that has an opinion, it better be based on something they really know about and not on what they read on internet.

I'm intrigued by what you say about Arabs here, mate :-) I grew up in the Middle East (Jordan) even though I'm not Middle Eastern myself. Some of my oldest/best friends are Arab/Middle Eastern/Muslim as a result. Speak a bit of Arabic cos of my formative childhood years in a British school there.

Yes, some of them can be quite "tribal" and materialistic but there are people like that in every culture. That's just human nature. If countries like Spain or Portugal were ever to get windfalls in the form of massive oil reserves discovered around the Iberian peninsula etc. watch how quickly people will change too. Most Arabs are good decent honorable people is what I'm saying. Just my two cents.

And yes, Barcelona will ABSOLUTELY continue to survive and thrive if and when ANYONE leaves (Messi, Neymar etc.) NO-ONE is bigger than the team, the all, our beloved Barca.

Fellas, 

a) If you could sign ONE player and ONE player only for Barca this summer, who would it be and why? (this is a general question: the player need not be a direct replacement for Neymar)

b) If you could sign ONE player as a DIRECT REPLACEMENT for Neymar, who'd it be?

If I could sign ONE player it'd be Dybala. He is defo Barca quality. Bellerin too. Not convinced with Semedo.

Verratti or Di Maria would probably be good replacements for Neymar. Yes, Verratti as a direct replacement might seem bizarre but I for one wouldn't mind Barca going back to a more tiki-taka Xavi-like "beautiful passing" version of our beloved club instead of the much more direct individualistic dribbling style that Neymar plays.

Neymar and Suarez helped the gradual organic shift to a more direct style of playing in recent years. Both styles have merit.

I'd probably have included Ozil here but he isn't the player he was in his Real Madrid years. He was incredible back then. 

Dunno why some ppl rate Verratti over Dybala. I'd rather have Dybala.

2 hours ago, Savvy Xavi said:

I'm intrigued by what you say about Arabs here, mate :-) I grew up in the Middle East (Jordan) even though I'm not Middle Eastern myself. Some of my oldest/best friends are Arab/Middle Eastern/Muslim as a result. Speak a bit of Arabic cos of my formative childhood years in a British school there.

Yes, some of them can be quite "tribal" and materialistic but there are people like that in every culture. That's just human nature. If countries like Spain or Portugal were ever to get windfalls in the form of massive oil reserves discovered around the Iberian peninsula etc. watch how quickly people will change too. Most Arabs are good decent honorable people is what I'm saying. Just my two cents.

And yes, Barcelona will ABSOLUTELY continue to survive and thrive if and when ANYONE leaves (Messi, Neymar etc.) NO-ONE is bigger than the team, the all, our beloved Barca.

I spent two years between Israel, Jordan and Iran mate. Jordanians and Iranians are 90% Persians and not Arabs. I get what you're saying though... There are all types in every culture but that doesn't describe a culture. That's society as a whole!

The Arabic language doesn't determine the culture... Arabic has en enveloped the Middle East unfortunately and eaten away at their very foundations as a culture. That's what these things do and I don't want to take it into Islam itself because it's off topic and very complicated.

Obviously you know a lot more than me having had your early childhood there, but that doesn't take away from the facts that is that those countries are not Arab. We all know the Arab countries and money is the only thing they have as a tool to mean something in this world. It happens to be the most important tool right now though. 

It was more positive signs in the 1-0 win over Manchester United, with the team dominating midfield again and showing versatility with being able to attack with possession, counters, slow build up plays and also fast transitions. We're not sure if MSN will be together anymore, but they were also electrifying and carved United to shreds in the first half. They were reminiscent of their 2015 form, an absolute joy to watch. In the second half we got another chance to see the likes of Arda, Vermaelen etc. and I thought Vermaelen was okay, didn't have too much to do but when he did he did them. Arda, on the hand....come on, there's no way he should still be a Barcelona player come September xD It's terrifying how shocking he is. Carles Alena was absolutely wonderful, I hope he gets a lot of chances this season...and Roberto at CM again, just like against Juventus, was a joy to watch. 

29 minutes ago, True Bender said:

Why did Sanches not make it at Barcelona?

Alexis?  Sanches is at Bayern, I think you're talking about Sánchez.

If it's Alexis then I've spoken about this many times before...  He was surplus to requirements and wasn't providing anything extra to what Pedro was.  Both players were battling it out for exactly the same position and both were being rotated by various coaches from Guardiola, Tata Martino to Luis Enrique.  Alexis was the first victim and then came Pedro who went to Chelsea.

Plus Pedro being a La Masia player, he was more loved by the fans.  Not that anything untoward ever occurred by the Barça fans toward Alexis...  He was very liked in the dressing room and the fans liked him too.  But the same as anywhere else, homegrown players have an extra connection with the fans.

Put it this way...  He never displayed the form he has done with Arsenal.  Now whether that's to do with the quality he faced in both leagues or whether it's to do with playing more at Arsenal, I don't know.  Right now he's definitely a world class player and one that would fit into almost any team in the world.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Alexis?  Sanches is at Bayern, I think you're talking about Sánchez.

If it's Alexis then I've spoken about this many times before...  He was surplus to requirements and wasn't providing anything extra to what Pedro was.  Both players were battling it out for exactly the same position and both were being rotated by various coaches from Guardiola, Tata Martino to Luis Enrique.  Alexis was the first victim and then came Pedro who went to Chelsea.

Plus Pedro being a La Masia player, he was more loved by the fans.  Not that anything untoward ever occurred by the Barça fans toward Alexis...  He was very liked in the dressing room and the fans liked him too.  But the same as anywhere else, homegrown players have an extra connection with the fans.

Put it this way...  He never displayed the form he has done with Arsenal.  Now whether that's to do with the quality he faced in both leagues or whether it's to do with playing more at Arsenal, I don't know.  Right now he's definitely a world class player and one that would fit into almost any team in the world.

Ooops, yes I meant Alexis. I was watching Bayern's penalty shout before I wrote this. My brain can only handle one tab. Thanks for the answer.

I can hardly believe that Pedro was favoured over Alexis. Alexis looks like he's twice as strong and I don't see where Pedro could have been better either.

Barcelona 3-2 Real Madrid 

La Blaugrana claim victory in what was an electric and entertaining El Clasico in Miami. Leo Messi and Ivan Rakitic quickly fired Barca 2-0 up in the first 6 minutes in what was a sizzling start to the match by the Catalans, but Kovacic and Asensio would peg it back to 2-2 before half time. Gerard Pique got the winner in the 50th minute to ensure that Ernesto Valverde's men took the victory. 

Even though not many moves have been made in this window(and a midfielder and centre back could do with being brought in) there are also players, if used correctly, who could be like new signings next season.

Rakitic - I say him as he seemed to start losing his way, but towards the end of last season he started to regain his form and has had a solid pre-season.

Sergi Roberto - He's brilliant, but needs to be playing in midfield. He could well be the answer and we all don't truly realise it. He really stepped up in important moments last season, unfortunately his talents were being sacrificed a lot over the course of the campaign due to him playing out of position. He's very versatile, but midfield is where he should be playing and all his best moments last season came from the type of attributes you'd expect from a top midfielder. He's done plenty to prove that he deserves that opportunity and I know Valverde will want to use his younger Spanish players.

Denis Suarez - He was excellent for Villarreal 2 seasons ago(his talents have been known about for sometime) and for Barcelona in glimpses when given chances last season. He has a special talent there and if he is utilised properly then I genuinely believe he can be a success at the club. He's still only 23, it's the perfect time to give him a fair crack of the whip.

Vidal - Just as he started to impress and broke into the team last year, disaster struck and he ended up with a serious injury, but he's back now and has looked solid in pre-season, as if he never sustained a serious injury in the first place. Barring he doesn't suffer any more, he will be a big plus sign next season. It would also enable Sergi Roberto to play in a more natural position to him, especially given the new signing of Semedo on top of that.

Umtiti - Last season was only his first season and while he wasn't always perfect, he did show a lot of what he's about. He seems to be the right fit for the club and I believe he can only get better.

Paco Alcacer - It took him a while to get going last season, but when he did, he scored goals and combined well with whichever 2 of the front 3 he was partnered with(all of which felt confident playing around him), this lad is certainly a more than handy option to have. It's just about using him properly, like with Sergi Roberto and Denis. All are talented players who offer plenty of squad depth.

I don't see much of a future at the club for Andre Gomes, but with all due respects to him, he did look a lot better towards the end of the season. I feel that he doesn't deserve to be ahead of the likes of Denis and Sergi Roberto(playing in midfield) in the pecking order though and this was one of Enrique's problems last season, giving him chances when others were more deserving and would have offered more. On top of that, Turan is undoubted talent and is an option if he stays, also the young Brazilian Marlon may be given an opportunity.

There is also Deulofeu. I've never felt confident in him ever being a Barcelona player for some reason, but he is certainly dangerous, has pace to burn and could be an interesting option. I also haven't heard of any talk of Munir or Samper going, so those 2 offer depth themselves if given chances. Another young option is Carles Aleñá, who is slowly starting to make appearances in the first team and has recently signed a new contract with a whopping clause. At only 19, it's always intriguing to see what these young lads can offer, especially when they play in an area where the team could do with a bit of strengthening.

There is actually a very strong squad there with a nice balance of experience and youth, it's more about finding the right formula more than anything I think. I do believe a midfielder and defender are needed, but at the same time, I don't think it would be a disaster if the only signing was a Neymar replacement(which will be a must if he leaves) as there are actually a lot of options there in midfield.

• Upvote 2