talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group A Matchday 1 - 14/15 June

football forum

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

But there were plenty of locals football fans ? Saurez is there, Cavani and Salah.

Yeah - I'm not sure I buy the expensive thing. it's the beginning of the world cup with stars in this match, no reason for it NOT to be full. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harry said:

Not good enough.

Full stadiums should be a FIFA requirement. 

Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

But there were plenty of locals football fans ? Saurez is there, Cavani and Salah.

I've already went over this guys, this isn't a new problem. Most of the group games didn't fill up in Brazil or South Africa either.

And there is a good amount of people. Its just the camera is pointing towards the emptiest part of the stadium. 

This game had a lot of empty seats. It was a knockout game.

How many games are there in this tournament? 60+ no? You can't expect all the games to be full.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm probably the only person not impressed by Egypt.

They have been good defensively but also helped by Uruguay not offering much in attack, and Egypt when going forward don't look too dangerous.

Egypt aren't that good of a side, Uruguay have more quality all over the pitch. And Egypt are reliant on Salah, who didn't start the match.

All things considered this is more poor for Uruguay than Egypt.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Egypt aren't that good of a side, Uruguay have more quality all over the pitch. And Egypt are reliant on Salah, who didn't start the match.

All things considered this is more poor for Uruguay than Egypt.

This is how Uruguay played in the last half of the South American qualifiers. I had a bit more faith in them due to actually making changes to their squad, but the whole long ball Uruguayan school of football thing is letting them down as always. I'm disappointed.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

How many games are there in this tournament? 60+ no? You can't expect all the games to be full.

This is the European World Cup. They only get them every 12 or 16 years.... There is no way the first European World Cup since Germany should have so many empty seats.

I totally disagree that you cant expect full stadiums always. Its a World Cup! The entire world wants to be there!

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is the European World Cup. They only get them every 12 or 16 years.... There is no way the first European World Cup since Germany should have so many empty seats.

I totally disagree that you cant expect full stadiums always. Its a World Cup! The entire world wants to be there!

But not everyone can afford them. We've been trying to go to the last 3 world cups and we've failed all 3 times.

The world cup has had empty seats in the early matches in the group stages from as long as I can remember. You're raising the bar too high for something that has always happened in recent memory.

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I'm not sure I buy the expensive thing. it's the beginning of the world cup with stars in this match, no reason for it NOT to be full. 

I wasn't going to quote you but I guess it does add to my point to Harry. Most people who go to a World Cup go to see their country. Think of it this way, if Argentina brings a few fans, why would they watch this over one of their games? Its expensive and the neutrals are going to watch what they can - usually an appealing game on paper. I don't buy the "locals" argument either, I could have agreed but this problem happened in Brazil and South Africa like I mentioned. Its nothing new. 

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, the games in Salvador and Fortaleza were sold out. You see empty seats because people were seeking shelter from the sun on the concession stands. Those are hot cities even in winter.

I did some intel, and this game is in Yekaterinburg, which is not the best of cities, and not really close to the big cities. That is probably another reason this stadium is half-empty. It's the same stadium that France will play Peru in a few days. Nice stadium from the looks of it, but the city isn't one of the more popular ones. 

Just now, Eco said:

I did some intel, and this game is in Yekaterinburg, which is not the best of cities, and not really close to the big cities. That is probably another reason this stadium is half-empty. It's the same stadium that France will play Peru in a few days. Nice stadium from the looks of it, but the city isn't one of the more popular ones. 

Well, there you have it.

Like I said, some games in Brazil didn't sell out. There are a lot of games and I would say that location matters more than all. To quote El Professor, maybe not that Mexico - Netherlands game, but I recall a few games in the group stages had empty seats. 

I actually remember asking my dad in the past as to why there are empty seats at a World Cup, so I too was shocked by this but my memory isn't so fragile. This has always been an issue early into the tournament.

From the looks of it, Manaus was the ground that least filled out in the last tournament (I'm sure El Professor can correct me on that) so location is important. My point stands though that not every game is going to fill out. Getting tickets isn't exactly cheap.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well, there you have it.

Like I said, some games in Brazil didn't sell out. There are a lot of games and I would say that location matters more than all. To quote El Professor, maybe not that Mexico - Netherlands game, but I recall a few games in the group stages had empty seats. 

I actually remember asking my dad in the past as to why there are empty seats at a World Cup, so I too was shocked by this but my memory isn't so fragile. This has always been an issue early into the tournament.

If I'm not wrong, 98% of the tickets were sold in Brazil. I'd guess the matches Cuiabá and Manaus didn't sell out, but putting those two cities as hosts never made sense. Our population is concentrated in South/Southeastern. The case of South Africa, I have zero idea what happened.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived