talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group A Matchday 1 - 14/15 June

football forum

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing a whole lot of people complain about the empty seats on Twitter. Surely they can't have that short of memories? In the group stages that happened in Brazil and South Africa too.

I have to say, while I have criticized Uruguay's traditional long ball approach (and will continue to do so) it will work excellently against a short team like Saudi Arabia. I concur that Suarez and Cavani will have a field day there.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Saudi Arabia > Uruguay

I remember I said that Uruguay play a lot worse than their squad suggests and I got ridiculed for it xD

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yup, its been just as I feared. Uruguay deploying their awful long ball tactics that they used in the qualifiers. I get its the Uruguayan way historically, but come on.

But it´s not out of design. The long balls and crossings happen because what they had in mind hasn´t worked so far. They have more ball possession but the majority of possession is in defence and in midfield, exchanging short passes. Not enough depth, penetration or speed to break the egyptian lines. That team sure does miss a speedy winger. 

On the other side, solid defensive job by Egypt. 

Interesting stat. Speaks for their tournament pre-seasons I think. The last few opening games for Uruguay

2016 Copa America - 1-3 loss to Mexico

2015 Copa America - 1-0 win vs Jamaica

2014 World Cup - 1-3 loss to Costa Rica

2013 Confederations Cup - 1-2 loss to Spain

2011 Copa America - 1-1 draw vs Peru

2010 World Cup - 0-0 draw vs France

2007 Copa America - 0-3 loss to Peru

2004 Copa America - 2-2 draw vs Mexico

2002 World Cup - 1-2 loss vs Denmark

I saw that myself after somebody mentioned that Uruguay are slow tournament starters. Will the trend go on?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I remember I said that Uruguay play a lot worse than their squad suggests and I got ridiculed for it xD

I was joking. Saudi Arabia were horrendous.

What people should notice though, and a reason why Uruguay are failing this game, is that Egypt are getting back in considerable numbers very quickly.

Bentancur strides forward consistently but when he looks at options available going forward, rarely any. As poor as Uruguay have been, Egypt seem resilient and solid at the back - constantly marking Suarez and Cavani and only letting the wingers have the ball for a moment before getting crosses in. But when crosses do come in (apart from that Suarez chance), the 2 strikers are pretty much marked by a defender and shielded off by a midfielder in front. 

Just now, Stan said:

I was joking. Saudi Arabia were horrendous.

What people should notice though, and a reason why Uruguay are failing this game, is that Egypt are getting back in considerable numbers very quickly.

Bentancur strides forward consistently but when he looks at options available going forward, rarely any. As poor as Uruguay have been, Egypt seem resilient and solid at the back - constantly marking Suarez and Cavani and only letting the wingers have the ball for a moment before getting crosses in. But when crosses do come in (apart from that Suarez chance), the 2 strikers are pretty much marked by a defender and shielded off by a midfielder in front. 

I know you were joking, but I quoted you because I got your point. You have been disappointed by Uruguay, even despite Egypts resiliance.

I'm probably the only person not impressed by Egypt.

They have been good defensively but also helped by Uruguay not offering much in attack, and Egypt when going forward don't look too dangerous.

Just now, Harry said:

Why is there nobody a the game?

Nothing annoys me more than half empty stadiums at a World Cup!!!

Because its expensive, and between 2 nations that didn't bring a whole ton of people to the tournament. I've already went over this.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Because its expensive, and between 2 nations that didn't bring a whole ton of people to the tournament. I've already went over this.

But there were plenty of locals football fans ? Saurez is there, Cavani and Salah.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived