• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group A Matchday 1 - 14/15 June

football forum

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Aw gutted, Uruguay don't deserve it the way they've played imo.

This group is poo though. Absolute poo.

a bit harsh I'd say. While this hasn't been a great game, Uruguay has requested a great save from the Egyptian keeper, and just hit the bar on a shot. 

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Late goal, for all that they've been wasteful, Egypt have been no better and offered nothing going forward.

This. The way bbc are going on calling Uruguay awful and Egypt really unlucky. Why? They’ve looked utter fucking shite going forward. If Salah is fit enough for the bench, he’s fit enough to play. Idiots.

Just now, Eco said:

a bit harsh I'd say. While this hasn't been a great game, Uruguay has requested a great save from the Egyptian keeper, and just hit the bar on a shot. 

I'm going to hold them to a pretty high standard with the players they have and considering who the opposition is (and how few of the Egyptian players I know).

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

This. The way bbc are going on calling Uruguay awful and Egypt really unlucky. Why? They’ve looked utter fucking shite going forward. If Salah is fit enough for the bench, he’s fit enough to play. Idiots.

Exactly, Salah should have been put on for the last 20 mins when Uruguay were looking complete shit. Fuck knows what their coach was thinking. 

Uruguay have just won in their standard style. They played like they usually do. Uncreative and dull, and scored off a set piece like they always did in the qualifiers. I agree with the above, that Egypt have been a bit feel-good. They defended well but offered little going forward. 

I can't see these beating Russia to be honest.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

Uruguay have just won in their standard style. They played like they usually do. Uncreative and dull, and scored off a set piece like they always did in the qualifiers. I agree with the above, that Egypt have been a bit feel-good. They defended well but offered little going forward. 

I can't see these beating Russia to be honest.

Russia is absolutely garbage...they wouldn't have even qualified if they weren't hosting the tournament. 

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Uruguay extremely lucky to win that. Suarez seems to have been ruined by the low standards of the uncompetitive league he plays in now.

He was terrible today indeed. I think it was @Stan who mentioned early on he looked tired. I agree. I'd also add he looks a bit overweight. Could be the Puma shirts though.

22 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Late goal, for all that they've been wasteful, Egypt have been no better and offered nothing going forward.

Should have put Salah on. Good ballsy move. Instead they went chicken shit and paid the price! 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Russia is absolutely garbage...they wouldn't have even qualified if they weren't hosting the tournament. 

I saw them better yesterday then Egypt today. I get that they faced 2 different level oppositions, but I saw more desire from Russia and a better footballing ability overall. Better off the ball movement, better passing technique. That's not something in which the opposition matters.

• Subscriber

I think Egypt were just not constructive enough in the final third with the ball today and never really troubled Uruguay even though they battled pretty hard in the midfield. Yeah its a bit unlucky to concede at the time they did but in all honesty it was probably coming. Their goalkeeper could only do so much. I think this team can beat Russia provided they actually make a go of it and try not to be ultra-possessive, they missed two important players up top today as well. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I saw them better yesterday then Egypt today. I get that they faced 2 different level oppositions, but I saw more desire from Russia and a better footballing ability overall. Better off the ball movement, better passing technique. That's not something in which the opposition matters.

You are spot on. One played Uruguay, another played KSA. 

Atlanta United is going to look better than Everton if you only grade on how Atlanta looks playing Nashvillve while Everton plays Manchester City. 

Russia are garbage. This Egypt, especially if Salah plays, are better than Russia. 

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

You are spot on. One played Uruguay, another played KSA. 

Atlanta United is going to look better than Everton if you only grade on how Atlanta looks playing Nashvillve while Everton plays Manchester City. 

Russia are garbage. This Egypt, especially if Salah plays, are better than Russia. 

You missed my point - having better passing technique isn't something in which the opposition matters. Accuracy of passing IS however. If Russia passes better than Egypt, then I agree its because of the different level opponents, but having a better "foot" or technique is quantified by the player and not the opposition.

I've been more impressed by Russia's performance. That is measured obviously by who they played, but at the same time I didn't see great technique from this Egypt team. Playing a superior team doesn't equal a bad foot. Russia on the other hand, I just saw better quality across the pitch. They seem more intelligent and have better technique.

Besides, according to many Egyptians I know on Twitter, their manager likes a defensive style, and a draw won't do it for them if they want to go through.

Always worth being wary of a home nation. Especially a Russian one. Look what they did with the Olympics to be competitive. These players were most likely created in a lab out of test tubes with dna from the team of soviet finalists from the 1960's.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived