• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Group D Matchday 3 - 26 June - Iceland 1-2 Croatia, Nigeria 1-2 Argentina

Recommended Posts

Tuesday 26th June
Iceland vs Croatia
Nigeria vs Argentina

Both kick-offs 7pm

Croatia guaranteed top spot.
Nigeria currently in 2nd and will stay there if they at least draw. If they draw and Iceland win, they'll stay in 2nd due to better head-to-head record.
if Iceland beat Croatia and Nigeria lose, Iceland will qualify in 2nd. 
Argentina can only qualify if they beat Nigeria and Croatia beat Iceland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Gunnarsson to rally Iceland to a 1-0 win, with Argentina beating Nigeria 1-0 as well.

imagine the scenes if Argentina are winning and Iceland/Croatia are drawing, then in the last kick of the latter game Iceland bag a winner to break the hearts of Argentina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stan said:

imagine the scenes if Argentina are winning and Iceland/Croatia are drawing, then in the last kick of the latter game Iceland bag a winner to break the hearts of Argentina.

Would love it just for a @Berserker meltdown really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Would love it just for a @Berserker meltdown really.

I'd kill your flock in reprisal if that happens. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Berserker said:

I'd kill your flock in reprisal if that happens. ^_^

will you give him one last shag before you kill them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stan said:

will you give him one last shag before you kill them

Of course, i gotta mark my territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

At least Armani will start, but the lineup otherwise is still a mess. a bit better though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll ask again, did Lo Celso or Pavon bang sampaoli's daughter? 

Why not start both Higuain and Aguero? I find it hard to believe that Argentina wont be able to outscore Nigeria with those two and Messi on the pitch. Messi will be triple marked again. 

At least no Meza. But why Di Maria?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it actually angers me that Lo Celso is getting no game time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s serious rumours that the veterans in the Argentina side had a long chat with the president of the AFA where they informed him of the breakup of the team with their coach Jorge Sampaoli. They don’t have confidence in him and his consistent gameplan changes... 14 games 14 different selections and formations for each one of those games according to Radio Nacional de Argentina.

Burruchaga was earnarked to take his place but in the end the AFA have backed down as they feel it would cause even more havoc with a coach sacking during the actual World Cup.

So what the rumour is, is that the team are selecting themselves and going back to a traditional more Argentina type formation and tactics that was seen some years back under Sabella.

We’ll know for sure what the issue is when they lineup for their game against Nigeria.

@Berserker what do you know about this mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

There’s serious rumours that the veterans in the Argentina side had a long chat with the president of the AFA where they informed him of the breakup of the team with their coach Jorge Sampaoli. They don’t have confidence in him and his consistent gameplan changes... 14 games 14 different selections and formations for each one of those games according to Radio Nacional de Argentina.

Burruchaga was earnarked to take his place but in the end the AFA have backed down as they feel it would cause even more havoc with a coach sacking during the actual World Cup.

So what the rumour is, is that the team are selecting themselves and going back to a traditional more Argentina type formation and tactics that was seen some years back under Sabella.

We’ll know for sure what the issue is when they lineup for their game against Nigeria.

@Berserker what do you know about this mate?

They had a reunion, the players the manager, the staff and the president of the AFA Saturday i think. But all those are shit rumours from our shitty press, there were even rumours that Pavon had punched Mascherano, both did a video making fun of it. It's the same as what happened a couple weeks ago when it was said Sampaoli had abused a worker, all bullshit. Stop paying attention to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Berserker said:

They had a reunion, the players the manager, the staff and the president of the AFA Saturday i think. But all those are shit rumours from our shitty press, there were even rumours that Pavon had punched Mascherano, both did a video making fun of it. It's the same as what happened a couple weeks ago when it was said Sampaoli had abused a worker, all bullshit. Stop paying attention to it.

There is a lot of conflicting stuff in Argentina’s media depending what you read or what you listen to from over there. It feels like the Spanish media at times where each one has their own agenda.

Cabllero is definitely going to be replaced by Armani though isn’t he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

They had a reunion, the players the manager, the staff and the president of the AFA Saturday i think. But all those are shit rumours from our shitty press, there were even rumours that Pavon had punched Mascherano, both did a video making fun of it. It's the same as what happened a couple weeks ago when it was said Sampaoli had abused a worker, all bullshit. Stop paying attention to it.

Has Messi cheered up? Needs to have a fucking laugh, take the captaincy off him, I don't think it's that important but I think it would be better if there was another focal point.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There is a lot of conflicting stuff in Argentina’s media depending what you read or what you listen to from over there. It feels like the Spanish media at times where each one has their own agenda.

Cabllero is definitely going to be replaced by Armani though isn’t he?

Just don't believe the media, pay attention only to official statements or what the players say.

Yeah Armani will most likely play, that team Brian posted above is the rumoured one to start.

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Has Messi cheered up? Needs to have a fucking laugh, take the captaincy off him, I don't think it's that important but I think it would be better if there was another focal point.

I think so, it's his birthday today and they got to see their families, and the players looked to be having fun in the training. Albeit perhaps not very important i was also against Messi being given the captaincy, he's not Maradona. Mascherano shoulda kept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Just don't believe the media, pay attention only to official statements or what the players say.

Yeah Armani will most likely play, that team Brian posted above is the rumoured one to start.

I think so, it's his birthday today and they got to see their families, and the players looked to be having fun in the training. Albeit perhaps not very important i was also against Messi being given the captaincy, he's not Maradona. Mascherano shoulda kept it.

Yeah I saw the Mascherano and Biglia press conference earlier where he hits out against the press. But because I’ve seen this sort of stuff so many times before (in all teams in every country) where players cover their arses in public it’s why I asked you what you thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mikel looking to cause an upset. 

Never thought I'd hear that 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget Croatia have had a problem with consistency in major tournaments. It would be unlike them to win all three matches, and I'm pretty sure I remember Iceland beating them in recent times.

Argentina's record against Nigeria in recent World Cups suggests to me they should win that one, but really, any hope of qualification depends on Croatia breaking down Iceland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Let's not forget Croatia have had a problem with consistency in major tournaments. It would be unlike them to win all three matches, and I'm pretty sure I remember Iceland beating them in recent times.

Argentina's record against Nigeria in recent World Cups suggests to me they should win that one, but really, any hope of qualification depends on Croatia breaking down Iceland.

I was under the impression that Argentina's progression depended on solely what they do tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Let's not forget Croatia have had a problem with consistency in major tournaments. It would be unlike them to win all three matches, and I'm pretty sure I remember Iceland beating them in recent times.

Argentina's record against Nigeria in recent World Cups suggests to me they should win that one, but really, any hope of qualification depends on Croatia breaking down Iceland.

I think Iceland will do Croatia. I said an organized side will beat Croatia and I stand by that. I'm not convinced they are this top side that everyone is making them out to be. They are a team with good players and a lot of individualities but tactically they are a bit faulty.

As for the other game, the norm would be Argentina winning, but they've been so bad you can't even count on it anymore. Franco Armani plays though, and that will make a huge difference. He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I thought (I think I'm right)...

Right now both Iceland and Argentina are on 1 point each with Argentina having a -3 goal difference and Iceland a -2.

Argentina depend on themselves if they beat Nigeria by more goals than if Iceland were to beat Croatia due to Argentina having one goal deficit more than Iceland.

In the event that Argentina were to win 2-0 against Nigeria and Iceland were to beat Croatia 2-1, then the tables would be equal on both points and goal difference which is where FairPlay would come into the reckoning... In this case Iceland are winning by a considerable margin seeing as they haven't had any bookings and Argentina have three bookings mainly due to them losing their nerve in the final minutes against Croatia.

Argentina must win!

So providing Argentina beat Nigeria and do it by 2 goals more than if Iceland were to beat Croatia, then Argentina would always qualify for the next round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we've seen how spain struggled against an already-eliminated morocco last night.      nigeria still has a chance, i hope they'll be as solid as the last game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see Nigeria and Iceland as winners today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Argentina had as clear an identity and style of play as Colombia or Peru they'd be favourites to win the World Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lanzini and Lo Celso could really solve Argentina's midfield issue. Shame about the former

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
16 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

If Argentina had as clear an identity and style of play as Colombia or Peru they'd be favourites to win the World Cup. 

Disagree on Colombia, they have no identity whatsoever. Can't decide on a lineup nor a style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lineups are out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higuan starting for Argentina and Di Maria playing - Nice to see some changes from the Argentines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement