talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina

football forums

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Armani is better than Lloris - he's having a bad game.

Otamendi is one I don't often rate but he's shown he can be a very decent CB option, and I like Mascherano when he's there.

Talent wise its close to being matched. You make Argentina sound like if they are Panama. The gulf in quality is not that big.

The gulf in qulity is massive. Argentina have crawled throughand France have made them look very average

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

It was @Spike, the one telling how Atlético is very pressed to find a new left back to cover for the decline of Filipe Luís? Lucas Hernández is more than fine. Beside the defensive aptitude, he evens knows how to make things happen in offence, last second and third french goals to show for it.

It isn't often that a CB has such a proclivity to dribbling and attacking.

Just now, Machado said:

Woah.

Lloris is crap. Armani has looked unreal when he's played for River and Nacional, and its not because of the quality either. Aside from precision shots, you don't need to play in a good league to be a good keeper.

I can imagine Armani is nervous because people have asked him for Argentina for 5 years and its his second cap. I'm not convinced its due to the step up in quality yet.

Otamendi is one I don't often rate but he's shown he can be a very decent CB option, and I like Mascherano when he's there.

Talent wise its close to being matched. You make Argentina sound like if they are Panama. The gulf in quality is not that big.

It’s not like Argentina are minnows but if they wanted to beat France they would have needed to put out a cohesive team, and got the best out of Messi.

Theyve utterly failed at that, and now even a generally disjointed and confused France side are battering them.

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Argentina are nowhere near France for talent. The French are stronger in every position on the park. Until today, they had yet to really click, but talent wise they are way above Argentina. 

I'm already shitting my pants and we're not even in the QF yet. Just the thought of our defenders having to deal with Mbappe is both hilarious and frightning.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

If Armani were better than Lloris he wouldn't have been the world's best kept secret until a few months ago. 

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not getting the Ronaldo (brazillian) comparisons with Mbappe, he's shown nothing like that level of class yet.

He shares to same extent the same vibe of the antithesis of the Pirelli line (Power Is Nothing Without Control): Power is everything with control. But it is fair saying that so far Mbappe can only reach a similar level in clean situations. Prime Ronaldo could still do it in far messier plays and had a greater acceleration and technical ability.

Just now, Inverted said:

It’s not like Argentina are minnows but if they wanted to beat France they would have needed to put out a cohesive team, and got the best out of Messi.

Theyve utterly failed at that, and now even a generally disjointed and confused France side are battering them.

To be fair mate, its easy to say Argentina aren't close to being as talented when they underperform for the national team.

Di Maria, Messi, Otamendi, Aguero, Higuain and Dybala are all undisputed starters in top clubs in top leagues, and then there is the likes of Tagliafico, Armani and Mercado who are all very underrated on the tactical side of things. Its not that far off in my opinion.

Just now, Blue said:

Lloris is crap. Armani has looked unreal when he's played for River and Nacional, and its not because of the quality either. Aside from precision shots, you don't need to play in a good league to be a good keeper.

I can imagine Armani is nervous because people have asked him for Argentina for 5 years and its his second cap. I'm not convinced its due to the step up in quality yet.

Lloris is crap, yes, yes, I hear you. Don't quote me btw. No debate to be had here.

Just now, Machado said:

Lloris is crap, yes, yes, I hear you. Don't quote me btw. No debate to be had here.

Huh? Everytime I've seen Lloris I've been unimpressed. Only recently though, I used to rate him a lot higher a few years ago.

Lloris isn't crap. Just because he isn't an elite goalkeeper with an overall of 99 on FIFA doesn't mean he is 'crap'. He is a fine goalkeeper one of the better keepers in the world but is very prone to silly mistakes. If we were to judge in this tournament alone De Gea and Neuer would also be crap.

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

Lloris isn't crap. Just because he isn't an elite goalkeeper with an overall of 99 on FIFA doesn't mean he is 'crap'. He is a fine goalkeeper one of the better keepers in the world but is very prone to silly mistakes. If we were to judge in this tournament alone De Gea and Neuer would also be crap.

pretty much what I was gonna say.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

If Armani were better than Lloris he wouldn't have been the world's best kept secret until a few months ago. 

He could have had a horrible agent, but he was unreal in the Copa Libertadores 2016 where he made several impossible saves. Playing in a top league doesn't make those saves any tougher. The only thing that happens in the step up is better precision, like we saw from Mbappe in the 4th goal. 

He should have been called up 5 years ago and this is his second cup in a world cup match. Kind of unfair to pick him out on this game alone to be fair.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

This tournament he's not had much to do, I'm talking about on the basis of times I've seen him from Spurs and France in the past. He just doesn't impress me, Armani does. That simple. Again, making a double save isn't any harder or easier in a top league from a point blank range. 

To be fair mate, its easy to say Argentina aren't close to being as talented when they underperform for the national team.

Di Maria, Messi, Otamendi, Aguero, Higuain and Dybala are all undisputed starters in top clubs in top leagues, and then there is the likes of Tagliafico, Armani and Mercado who are all very underrated on the tactical side of things. Its not that far off in my opinion.

Umtiti and Varane are both comfortably better than Otamendi. In terms of fullbacks Argentina have more experienced and reliable options but France have more talented, younger players there. 

The only possible qualitative edges Argentina have are in terms of centre forward - of which they play only one (or none) - and Messi. 

How many Argentinian players today get into France’s team today ? Messi, ofc.

That’s it.

1 hour ago, Batard said:

Got to say, this feels like a really ordinary Argentine team. Where’s the youthful energy and creativity? 

Given the average age of the squad is 29 I would say all that youthful energy you are talking about was last seen about 1 World Cup ago... xD

Archived