• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Round of 16 - Saturday 30th June - France 4-3 Argentina

Recommended Posts

First knock-out tie of the World Cup.

Winner plays Uruguay or Portugal in the Quarter-finals.

Kick-off 3pm. 

Venue - Kazan Arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aguero

Pavon---------------------Messi

Banega---Lo Celso

Mascherano

Tagliafico---Rojo---Otamendi---Mercado

Armani 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed to pick my mate up from the airport and of course this has fallen during it. Absolutely seething. It'll be the game of the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Machado said:

Wait, @Cicero what is your actual nationality? Never got to know.

He's Dragonstoneian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last competitive game between the two was in 1978 with Argentina winning 2-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Gonna be a great game. I really hope Argentina and Uruguay go through so we can see them in quarters. To me, that is a much better rivalry than the overrated Brazil - Argentina. The 2 are more related (Uruguay is basically a small Argentina. Same accent, similar infrastructure, etc) and the 2 are basically the founders of international football as they've been playing games constantly before anyone else in tournaments. I can see 1 of them going through, but not both. Unless Argentina improve defensively, it's more likely to be Uruguay. If we couldn't handle Mbappe, I can't see La Albiceleste do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Machado said:

Wait, @Cicero what is your actual nationality? Never got to know.

Italian. My wife is Argentine 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Gonna be a great game. I really hope Argentina and Uruguay go through so we can see them in quarters. To me, that is a much better rivalry than the overrated Brazil - Argentina. The 2 are more related (Uruguay is basically a small Argentina. Same accent, similar infrastructure, etc) and the 2 are basically the founders of international football as they've been playing games constantly before anyone else in tournaments. I can see 1 of them going through, but not both. Unless Argentina improve defensively, it's more likely to be Uruguay. If we couldn't handle Mbappe, I can't see La Albiceleste do it.

Adding to that Argentina is like a rich man's Uruguay in knock out stages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Italian. My wife is Argentine 

Did not know this...hmm...so where in Italy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Except something like this for France. 

 

Giroud (31)

Dembele (21) -----Griezmann (27) ---- Mbappe (19)

Kante (27) ---- Pogba (25)

Hernandez (22) --- Kimpembe (22) --- Varane (25)  ---Pavard (22)

Lloris (31)

 

Edit: Put the ages besides the name, just for further clarification about how young this team is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Argentina now don't have any pressure on them to perform well because they are not the favourites. I expect them to surprise everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Did not know this...hmm...so where in Italy? 

Genoa. Moved when I was a child and spent a few years in England. Finished my undergrad at Palmers in the states and met my wife. Spent a few years in Argentina where we got married, until we moved back to the states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cicero said:

Genoa. Moved when I was a child and spent a few years in England. Finished my undergrad at Palmers in the states and met my wife. Spent a few years in Argentina where we got married, until we moved back to the states. 

Christ you live in the States? Where about? 

Do you ever follow Genoa or Sampdoria? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eco said:

Christ you live in the States? Where about? 

Do you ever follow Genoa or Sampdoria? 

Need not know that. (No offence) But my Family team is Sampdoria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Need not know that. (No offence) But my Family team is Sampdoria.

Fair enough. 

That is one of the best part of Italy, that whole area is stunning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Eco said:

Except something like this for France. 

 

Giroud (31)

Dembele (21) -----Griezmann (27) ---- Mbappe (19)

Kante (27) ---- Pogba (25)

Hernandez (22) --- Kimpembe (22) --- Varane (25)  ---Pavard (22)

Lloris (31)

 

Edit: Put the ages besides the name, just for further clarification about how young this team is. 

Two in midfield and 4 forwards? xD I don't think so. Also Umtiti is back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

I want to see Griezmann step up. He's been hopeless in this tournament so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Two in midfield and 4 forwards? xD I don't think so. Also Umtiti is back.

yes, Umtiti is back.

Who would you imagine the lineup be? That would be my choice, but adding in the CB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd go with Mendy and Sidibé at full back, but Deschamps seems to prefer to play centre backs there. Then a midfield three of maybe Matuidi/Tolisso, Kanté and Pogba, with Giroud, Griezmann and Mbappé up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Italian. My wife is Argentine 

hahahahahaha 

as if you're married.

 

 

 

:ph34r: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battle of the good on paper yet shite on the field sides of this World Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spike Looks like Sampaoli saw your post. Rumors the lineup will have Messi as striker and Pavon/DiMaria as the wingers.

Very interesting. Could this be the influential decision that could have Argentina perform? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

@Spike

Very interesting. Could this be the influential decision that could have Argentina perform? 

 

No, as their line up still contains Di Maria and he ruins every attack. Argentina would have likely scored a few more goals vs Nigeria in the first half had he not been part of the line up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The battle of the good on paper yet shite on the field sides of this World Cup.

if only it's a PS4 game :P  :P 

argentina has been shit so far but with this being a knock out game, they might change their mentality.     but france, what can i say - speed.   i'm excited on seeing mbappe doing some zippy counter attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard on TV some journalists saying they feel a 1990 Brazil vs Argentina vibe in this match.  Brazil was the favorite back then, but in one moment of genius Maradona made a great run to assist Caniggia for the winner. Do you think this comparison make sense, @SirBalon ?

France hasn´t been very impressive, but differently from Argentina, they´re an organized side. And that argentinian defence going against a skilled and fast attack like the french have could make it ugly. 

I think France is the favorite here, but it´s impossible to totally discard a team that has Messi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I heard on TV some journalists saying they feel a 1990 Brazil vs Argentina vibe in this match.  Brazil was the favorite back then, but in one moment of genius Maradona made a great run to assist Caniggia for the winner. Do you think this comparison make sense, @SirBalon ?

France hasn´t been very impressive, but differently from Argentina, they´re an organized side. And that argentinian defence going against a skilled and fast attack like the french have could make it ugly. 

I think France is the favorite here, but it´s impossible to totally discard a team that has Messi.

You know something mate... Whenever people bring up the past like it has any say on the present I always feel rather bemused. I try my hardest to get it and the only resembling factor I can ever take into account where the past is concerned is when a particular team seems to have a mental block against another like for example Barcelona going away to Real Sociedad or back in the 90s Arsenal going away to Derby County. For some unkown and unscientific reason history on the main kept on repeating itself.

But international football is played with large timespans inbetween and these days players pertaining to any given team are well known the world over. There are no surprises any league can pull these days in my opinion which is why football at international level is showing more parity as time goes by.

In my opinion France are overwhelming favourites for this. History means nothing! France all over the pitch (minus Messi) matches or supersedes anything Argentina can put out onto the pitch. 

But as we all know, football isn’t played on paper (pardon the cliché) and anything can happen.

If Argentina come out victors tomorrow, will I be shocked? No!

If France have a rather comfortable victory, will I be surprised? Not at all. 

That’s what makes it all so fascinating. It means very little what you’ve done uptill now in the tournament. The game starts 0-0 and there are key players for both teams that can change anything. 

What do you think mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This current France team is giving me Belgium 2014 vibes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You know something mate... Whenever people bring up the past like it has any say on the present I always feel rather bemused. I try my hardest to get it and the only resembling factor I can ever take into account where the past is concerned is when a particular team seems to have a mental block against another like for example Barcelona going away to Real Sociedad or back in the 90s Arsenal going away to Derby County. For some unkown and unscientific reason history on the main kept on repeating itself.

But international football is played with large timespans inbetween and these days players pertaining to any given team are well known the world over. There are no surprises any league can pull these days in my opinion which is why football at international level is showing more parity as time goes by.

In my opinion France are overwhelming favourites for this. History means nothing! France all over the pitch (minus Messi) matches or supersedes anything Argentina can put out onto the pitch. 

But as we all know, football isn’t played on paper (pardon the cliché) and anything can happen.

If Argentina come out victors tomorrow, will I be shocked? No!

If France have a rather comfortable victory, will I be surprised? Not at all. 

That’s what makes it all so fascinating. It means very little what you’ve done uptill now in the tournament. The game starts 0-0 and there are key players for both teams that can change anything. 

What do you think mate?

I agree, France is the favorite here by a significant margin.

But knowing how argentinian teams normally behave, I think they´ll embrace the position of underdogs and put a really good fight tomorrow. I feel like there is a sentiment of relief in Argentina for not embarassing themselves by being eliminated in the group stage and now the pressure is not on them anymore. From a mental standpoint, this is a very comfortable position to be in and it makes Argentina a dangerous opponent. 

Another point I´d like to bring is that they have a guy who will lead and show the way to his teammates, and that is Macherano. There is a lot of questioning regarding his play, but I think he is essential to this Argentina side.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement