talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

46 minutes ago, nudge said:

Apparently someone's feelings got hurt. Nobody seems to know whose feelings though. xD

I've never read Winnetou in my life. :ph34r:

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Apparently someone's feelings got hurt. Nobody seems to know whose feelings though. xD

I've never read Winnetou in my life. :ph34r:

I've read every single Western novel written by Karl May, was obsessed with them as a kid 😅 searched for them in libraries, bookstores and flea markets, and spent my school lunch money on them haha.  Now, I have over 80 novels and a Gesammelte Werke digital edition which contains 300 titles (books and short stories). So yeah... If they cancel him and his books, I'm going to riot xD 

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I've read every single Western novel written by Karl May, was obsessed with them as a kid 😅 searched for them in libraries, bookstores and flea markets, and spent my school lunch money on them haha.  Now, I have over 80 novels and a Gesammelte Werke digital edition which contains 300 titles (books and short stories). So yeah... If they cancel him and his books, I'm going to riot xD 

That's an impressive collection. 😅 Somehow he and his works never came into my life. 🤔

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

That's an impressive collection. 😅 Somehow he and his works never came into my life. 🤔

I've been a bookworm ever since I started reading at 3 years old, and fortunately happened to grow up in a country and family where reading books was extremely encouraged. We had plenty of public libraries, bookstores on every corner, books were extremely cheap, too. Such good memories. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

All this talk about Wild West books got me doing some research and I just found out that Die Söhne der Großen Bärin book series by Liselotte Welskopf-Henrich actually contained 6 novels, whereas I only read three and didn't even know the other three existed! Looking for them online now, that will definitely be my next read 😅

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 23/08/2022 at 06:36, nudge said:

All this talk about Wild West books got me doing some research and I just found out that Die Söhne der Großen Bärin book series by Liselotte Welskopf-Henrich actually contained 6 novels, whereas I only read three and didn't even know the other three existed! Looking for them online now, that will definitely be my next read 😅

Years ago my better half and I used to go to a swap meet kind of thing they do in the summer every weekend. Fairly large that fills a school and spills to the outside around it, they held it once a week or so in a neighboring city. You would have people with stands from vintage watches to tools and equipment to video games and books and dvds. (Side bar I bought my last pair of hockey skates there nearly brand new :D) Randomly I overheard a little old lady complaining to her husband noone had bought any of the Wild West books this year since they had been coming. My ears perked up and I asked her to recommend one to me as Ive always loved Wild West stuff. She was so happy and in the end recommended a book I took home but I cant for the life of me remember the name off the top of my head...ill post later when I get home and look. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Years ago my better half and I used to go to a swap meet kind of thing they do in the summer every weekend. Fairly large that fills a school and spills to the outside around it, they held it once a week or so in a neighboring city. You would have people with stands from vintage watches to tools and equipment to video games and books and dvds. (Side bar I bought my last pair of hockey skates there nearly brand new :D) Randomly I overheard a little old lady complaining to her husband noone had bought any of the Wild West books this year since they had been coming. My ears perked up and I asked her to recommend one to me as Ive always loved Wild West stuff. She was so happy and in the end recommended a book I took home but I cant for the life of me remember the name off the top of my head...ill post later when I get home and look. 

What do you mean, "one book"? I would have cleaned the whole stand! xD 

Nah, Wild West books are good stuff. Even the pulpy stuff; all those old magazines full of cliches, one dimensional characters and repeating storylines :D Just pure fun.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nah, Wild West books are good stuff. Even the pulpy stuff; all those old magazines full of cliches, one dimensional characters and repeating storylines :D Just pure fun.

Would be a fairer criticism of Karl May's books than the one they apparently preferred.xD Have to admit loved Karl May books as a child and still own about 30 of them ,though.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

At the time I hadn't really picked up reading again yet. I dont know why but the thought of a WildWest book never really crossed my mind either. The vast majority of books I used to read where murder mysteries... Alot of James Patterson books and the last series I read was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before taking a long hiatus. I really should read it at some point but im knee's deep in The Witcher series now that will take me a bit :D

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Would be a fairer criticism of Karl May's books than the one they apparently preferred.xD Have to admit loved Karl May books as a child and still own about 30 of them ,though.

Oh for sure, that's the kind of criticism I could understand and agree with xD Either way, people loved Karl May's books not because he was some kind of literary genius, but because it was cool, fun, adventurous, and also morally right. This is what annoys me the most about the recent criticism; reading the things they complain about and accuse him of, it's pretty clear that they have never read a single book of his xD Because it really baffles me how can you otherwise accuse a writer of racism and colonialism, when literally the very first chapter of Winnetou is a monologue about the horrible and unjust genocide committed against the Native Americans by the seemingly superior White Man; the theme which is present in all of his Wild West works, not to mention the general themes of equality of all races, mixed marriages, pacifism and choosing non-violence, anti-colonialism and sympathising with the plight of Native Americans (and Mexicans), friendship and forgiveness. If anything, Karl May was way ahead of his time, especially compared  to the general attitudes and fictional works about the Native Americans in the US at that time and decades after it...

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

At the time I hadn't really picked up reading again yet. I dont know why but the thought of a WildWest book never really crossed my mind either. The vast majority of books I used to read where murder mysteries... Alot of James Patterson books and the last series I read was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before taking a long hiatus. I really should read it at some point but im knee's deep in The Witcher series now that will take me a bit :D

Talking about contemporary Wild West books, I found this one pretty fascinating:

51uoIKWCCTL._SX429_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's like a gritty spaghetti Western, but in a novel form :D

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well that's not entirely a western is it? xD

IMG_20220901_182727.jpg

If there's a Western setting, then it's a Western, as much as I'm concerned! I'm really impressed with the old lady for recommending it to you though xD

• Like 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

If there's a Western setting, then it's a Western, as much as I'm concerned! I'm really impressed with the old lady for recommending it to you though xD

That kinda makes the story even better 😂

Only thing I really remember telling her was I was big into the Clint spaghetti's. I definitely have to read this now at some point.

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Like 1

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, nudge said:

Finally moved into a new and hopefully long-term apartment today 😅 don't know what to do with all that space available suddenly compared to a hotel room xD

Things accumulate over time don't worry about that xD 

• Haha 1