talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

• 3 weeks later...

In Germany they'll introduce a 9€ per month ticket for three months. So you can travel throughout whole Germany by train with that ticket.

Now the rich people/tourists on the Island of Sylt are scared they are getting swarmed by ordinary 9€ party tourists. xD

There are already plenty of memes about it: 

4cne2a4xolx81.jpg

pz7chf043nx81.jpg

u5l4rk7hqnx81.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The former captain of Germany's Basketball national team died today at 46 years old. 

I remember watching him play for Germany a lot back in the day. The news shocked me. :o RIP. 

• Sad 2

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The former captain of Germany's Basketball national team died today at 46 years old. 

I remember watching him play for Germany a lot back in the day. The news shocked me. :o RIP. 

I remember him well. Not as much from the national team, but mostly from the Euroleague; seems to have been a part of it forever. Didn't know he had cancer, either... RIP :( 

• Upvote 1

On 17/05/2022 at 14:35, nudge said:

I remember him well. Not as much from the national team, but mostly from the Euroleague; seems to have been a part of it forever. Didn't know he had cancer, either... RIP :( 

That name sounded very familiar so I looked him up.  He played for University of North Carolina in college with UNC legends Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison.  What a team that was.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Coma said:

That name sounded very familiar so I looked him up.  He played for University of North Carolina in college with UNC legends Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison.  What a team that was.

I was never into NCAA, so don't have any clue about college basketball 😅 but Vince Carter was probably the last NBA player I actually liked watching. Stopped playing myself in early 2000s and then gradually lost interest in basketball altogether... Focused on Euroleague in the years that followed as my hometown team played there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I was never into NCAA, so don't have any clue about college basketball 😅 but Vince Carter was probably the last NBA player I actually liked watching. Stopped playing myself in early 2000s and then gradually lost interest in basketball altogether... Focused on Euroleague in the years that followed as my hometown team played there.

I used to be really into NCAA.  I went to University of Cincinnati and for the longest time they were a top-25 performing school.  I remember losing interest in the early 2000's after I graduated and never really go back into it.  I've flirted with NBA interest over the years but it never stuck, probably because there isn't a team here locally.

Vince Carter was a beast.  I think he only just retired in the last few years.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Coma said:

I used to be really into NCAA.  I went to University of Cincinnati and for the longest time they were a top-25 performing school.  I remember losing interest in the early 2000's after I graduated and never really go back into it.  I've flirted with NBA interest over the years but it never stuck, probably because there isn't a team here locally.

Vince Carter was a beast.  I think he only just retired in the last few years.

Haha, I was completely NBA-obsessed as a kid xD Literally knew every player in every team for about a decade, starting with the Bull supremacy in early 90s to the Lakers time in early 2000s...  Had a massive collection of trading cards, posters on the wall, all that jazz. Even carried a "lucky" MJ picture on me whenever I played in competitive matches, too xD Used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the finals and then go to school afterwards. Good times :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha, I was completely NBA-obsessed as a kid xD Literally knew every player in every team for about a decade, starting with the Bull supremacy in early 90s to the Lakers time in early 2000s...  Had a massive collection of trading cards, posters on the wall, all that jazz. Even carried a "lucky" MJ picture on me whenever I played in competitive matches, too xD Used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the finals and then go to school afterwards. Good times :D 

I remember a decent bit about the 90's NBA players.  I think my favorite player of that era was probably Karl Malone.  There were some great teams back then and it seemed like they all had a superstar combo.  Phoenix had Kevin Johnson and Tom Chambers.  Utah had Stockton and Malone.  Detroit had Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars.  Hell, even the shitty Nets had Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson.  I could go on.  

The league is rather sterile now with too many "super teams".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Now even Serie A has a new winner in Milan. Bundesliga needs to introspect

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the title in Serie A has been shared by 3 clubs going back to when Roma won in ~2000-01, of which Milan is one.  They may have been going though a dry spell (because they got caught out overspending with sheisty owners), but that's not a new winner.

5 minutes ago, Coma said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the title in Serie A has been shared by 3 clubs going back to when Roma won in ~2000-01, of which Milan is one.  They may have been going though a dry spell (because they got caught out overspending with sheisty owners), but that's not a new winner.

The idea remains that Juventus period of dominance which started from the same time as Bayern has been broken. Someone needs to fo that in Bundesliga now. 

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

The idea remains that Juventus period of dominance which started from the same time as Bayern has been broken. Someone needs to fo that in Bundesliga now. 

I agree with that.  I'm just saying the dominance of the money clubs goes back longer than 10 years in most leagues.  Now you have Man City winning 4 of the last 5 in the EPL.  That's no competition either.  

I wish all those big clubs had gone on to do their Super League thing.  Then the rest of us could get on with cheering on real competitions.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Coma said:

If you look at the EPL from the 1992-93 season it's the same, the likes of Blackburn Rovers & Leicester were new winners as it had (and still is) dominated by Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City, correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe Spurs might suddenly pop up as winners next year knowing Conte, I wonder what the odds are on that happening, I wouldn't mind putting a few quid on that as a bet. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

If you look at the EPL from the 1992-93 season it's the same, the likes of Blackburn Rovers & Leicester were new winners as it had (and still is) dominated by Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City, correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe Spurs might suddenly pop up as winners next year knowing Conte, I wonder what the odds are on that happening, I wouldn't mind putting a few quid on that as a bet. 

Same in the Bundesliga.  If you go back to the 90's there are other winners that have popped up in there like Bremen, Wolfsburg, and Stuttgart, but it's largely been dominated by Bayern, and to a much lesser extent, BVB.

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but although Leicester were a new champion cakking Blackburn Rovers new is a stretch, considerig the won the titles in 1912 and 1914.:farmer:

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but although Leicester were a new champion cakking Blackburn Rovers new is a stretch, considerig the won the titles in 1912 and 1914.:farmer:

I think they won in 93 or 94.  The first EPL season.

9 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

There was a German championship before Buli's introduction, and the English title is older than the Premiership, as well.;)

I think the point is that the general trend across many football leagues is that the number of clubs that are capable of challenging for a title has dwindled significantly.  It's not just a recent (10-year) thing.  And it's not specific to the Bundesliga, although many folks like to point to Bayern's 10-year dominance as the poster child for a league's failure to compete.

6 minutes ago, Coma said:

I think the point is that the general trend across many football leagues is that the number of clubs that are capable of challenging for a title has dwindled significantly.  It's not just a recent (10-year) thing.  And it's not specific to the Bundesliga, although many folks like to point to Bayern's 10-year dominance as the poster child for a league's failure to compete.

Actually, and I'm honest here, it's short-sighted the messure a league's competition level only by the fact, which team won the title. Also Real Madrid won more Spanish titles, than Bayern won German ones, although the Spanish championship is younger than the German. To be frank, English people pointing at the Buli with the note of failure to compete has more to do with the English inability to give German football any credit - highlighted by their delusional claim England and Germany were rivals on International level, although Germany won 7 big titles compared to England's 1- than with reality. That said I share many people's desire for a champion that aren't Bayern.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1