talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Papy Djilobodji & Didier Ndong Face Being Sacked by Sunderland

football forum

Sunderland are considering sacking Papy Djilobodji after he finally turned up for training on Wednesday - 72 days late.

Neither Djilobodji nor Didier Ndong returned for training ahead of the League One season with the latter AWOL since the end of last season.

It was revealed by Djilobodji's agent the Senegal international wanted to leave and the club granted him unpaid leave until the beginning of August in the expectation that he would be able to find a new club.

But the former Chelsea defender, who was signed by David Moyes for £8m, has been unable to do that.

Club record-signing Ndong posted a photo of himself sunbathing on his Instagram story on Wednesday, while the rest of his teammates were at training, with Black Cats fans taking to social media to react to the post.

Sunderland manager Jack Ross said: "I haven't had any interest in them because they've never turned up and haven't been part of what I've tried to build here. I don't ever envisage them being part of that."

The chief executive Charlie Methven said the club are "considering legal action" and the "two cases are not identical".

Djilobodji had been linked with moves to Turkey, Germany and France, but clubs in those countries cannot make further signings now until 2019.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Djilobodji is a legend; his last-minute goal against Frankfurt saved us from relegation :x

Chelsea should have just let him join us as they didn't need him, but they wanted too much money and refused to lower the transfer fee; we just couldn't afford it. Could have had a good career at Bremen.

15 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not sure why anybody would take either of this two on after their actions at Sunderland. 

Just to think that somewhere in France a mid table team is going to watch a video of these footballers at Sunderland and think: "this is exactly what we need to sort out all our problems".

On 06/09/2018 at 19:39, Harvsky said:

Didier Ndong? Isn't that the first lyric if Saturday night?

I was on a stag doo in the Oceana in Nottingham back in March and whilst drunk i heard "Wilfred Zaha" at the beginning of this song. I turned to my Palace supporting mate at the bar and mimicked the gif @DeadLinesman did over the Dwight Yorke comment.

Sunderland chairman Stewart Donald says lawyers are looking into whether the club can sue Didier Ndong and Papy Djilobodji for 'wilfully devaluing their contracts.'

Donald says Ndong, who joined Sunderland in 2016, has not been seen at the club so far this season and that he has no idea where the 24-year-old is.

The chairman added that Djilobodji, who also moved to the Stadium of Light two years ago, only returned to the League One side last week, and is seriously unfit.

Speaking to Talksport, Donald said: "I'm certain we're allowed to fine them. But the question is whether they've done enough in breach of their contracts [for us] to terminate their contracts and pursue them for wilfully devaluing themselves.

Djilobodji joined Sunderland from Chelsea in the summer of 2016

"Didier Ndong has shown no interest in returning to the football club whatsoever, we don't even know where he is.

"Papy has returned but in his last conversation [before coming back] he said: 'You'll never see me in Sunderland again'.

"There's an obligation on players to turn up in a condition in which you can play football, and the reality of it is that I would probably have beaten his [Dilobodji's] stats when he returned."

Ndong joined Watford on loan for the second half of last season but failed to make an appearance, while Djolbodji spent the whole of the last campaign with Dijon.

Sunderland have terminated the contract of defender Papy Djilobodji after he returned late from a period of leave and "comprehensively failed" a fitness test.

The 29-year-old spent last season on loan at French side Dijon, following a disappointing 2016-17 campaign as the Black Cats were relegated from the Premier League.

He has not featured in League One this season and a club statement on Wednesday read: "Sunderland AFC has given notice under its contract with Papy Djilobodji."

The statement continued: "Djilobodji, who was under contract to SAFC until June 2020, indicated in June 2018 that he wished to leave the club.

"In order to facilitate that desire, the club entered into a written agreement with the player allowing him to spend the month of July on voluntary unpaid leave.

Djilobodji made only 22 appearances for Sunderland after joining from Chelsea

"When that period came to an end, the player was expected either to leave for a new club - having reached a deal satisfactory to himself and SAFC - or to return in shape to play professional football.

"Instead, he returned to Sunderland over a month later, in the first week of September, ignoring written requests for his return. On his return, he was subjected to the same fitness test that his fellow professionals had undertaken on their return. He comprehensively failed that test.

"As a result, Sunderland AFC can confirm that it has accepted Papy Djilobodji's repudiatory breaches of contract and notice of the same has been provided to the player."

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Dider N'Dong returned to Sunderland yesterday. He was four months late and had done a media release on how he would be willing to stay at Sunderland and take a pay cut. Conveniently after the final loan window in Portugal. He was sacked on arrival xD

Probably one of the easiest and quickest turnarounds in football.... Welcome back, We cleaned your locker out for you, Now fuck off!! 

Sunderland manager Jack Ross says he was fully behind the decision to sack club-record signing Didier Ndong for the sake of the culture at the club.

Ndong - signed for £13m in 2016 - arrived back in the North East this week following what the club said was an unexplained four-month absence to find his contract terminated.

Ross, who joined the club following back-to-back relegations this summer and with transfer funds restricted, says it was the board's decision and not down to fitness tests.

Asked if he put up any protest to Ndong's dismissal, Ross said: "Not from my side as a manager."

Previous owner Ellis Short wrote off Sunderland's debts and sold the club to insurance businessman Stewart Donald for £40m in May of this year, the club have started well in League One and sit third in the table ahead of facing Coventry on Saturday - live on Sky Sports.

Ross added: "To try and develop a culture in your club, and I know culture is used as a kind of buzzword in football nowadays, but it's relative in all walks of life and it's not an easy thing to do. It can very easily be tipped the other way.

"I'm not saying that one individual player would do that, but equally I think we've done well to build the spirit in a short period of time. We don't want to come away from that."

Local-born George Honeyman was named captain at the start of the season, while young players Lynden Gooch, 22, and Josh Maja, 19, have got off to flying starts, leading the assists and goal scorer charts respectively.

"The players that have been here from day one have been incredibly committed," Ross added.

"The one we have brought in have come with exactly the same work ethic. We want to try and foster that and grow up. I think it's important we do that in order to try and get the club back through the leagues."

• 2 months later...
On 06/09/2018 at 19:39, Harvsky said:

Didier Ndong? Isn't that the first lyric if Saturday night?

And arsene Wenger was the first line of the lion king 

Archived