talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 Semi-Final - Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea (1st Leg)

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I see Barkley isn't world class anymore then like he supposedly was in September.

He had a few decent games but surely people weren't calling him world class. He's gone off the boil recently but it cannot be easy keep coming in and out as he does. Players need consistency and to be played consistently unfortunately for him it hasn't happened for him yet. I would like to see more of Loftus-Cheek I would love my team Newcastle to send Kennedy back and bring in Loftus Cheek on loan.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Kyletoonfan said:

He had a few decent games but surely people weren't calling him world class. He's gone off the boil recently but it cannot be easy keep coming in and out as he does. Players need consistency and to be played consistently unfortunately for him it hasn't happened for him yet. I would like to see more of Loftus-Cheek I would love my team Newcastle to send Kennedy back and bring in Loftus Cheek on loan.

I'm being deliberately a bit over the top but unfortunately with him he's been like it as long as I can remember and I'm sure the Everton fans on here will vouch for this too - a very hit and miss player, got some talent for sure but never managed to get any real consistency. Expect he moves on from there in a couple of years.

Overall the performance wasn't bad, apart from the penalty and the shot by Kane Spurs were limited to nothing. The second half they were basically defending the entire time apart from trying a few counters. Agreed on little clear chances but performance wise we earned at least a draw, however obviously you need to score to get points or win. In the second leg if we score early i can see us getting to the final. However not too disappointed as this was a much more improved performance than last time. Bring on Newcastle for the weekend. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Overall the performance wasn't bad, apart from the penalty and the shot by Kane Spurs were limited to nothing. The second half they were basically defending the entire time apart from trying a few counters. Agreed on little clear chances but performance wise we earned at least a draw, however obviously you need to score to get points or win. In the second leg if we score early i can see us getting to the final. However not too disappointed as this was a much more improved performance than last time. Bring on Newcastle for the weekend. 

We are so much better away from home though, absolutely superb on the counter, so that’s why yesterday was important from our point of view to keep a clean sheet and get a lead. Can’t see us not scoring at the Bridge 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

We are so much better away from home though, absolutely superb on the counter, so that’s why yesterday was important from our point of view to keep a clean sheet and get a lead. Can’t see us not scoring at the Bridge 

If you repeat last nights performance better believe it :D, then again we concede on every occasion. When we win or when we lose. God knows how we have the third best defense in the league.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, True Blue said:

If you repeat last nights performance better believe it :D, then again we concede on every occasion. When we win or when we lose. God knows how we have the third best defense in the league.

We don’t play like that away though, only concern I have is the fact we will be without Son who’s crucial to how we play away but hopefully Lamela steps in not Moura. 

You did suss out how to play us though, press us high like that and we struggle. Can’t sit off us or we can pick you apart, but Sarri got it completely right in how to neutralise us. Frustrating game to watch but decent result 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

We don’t play like that away though, only concern I have is the fact we will be without Son who’s crucial to how we play away but hopefully Lamela steps in not Moura. 

You did suss out how to play us though, press us high like that and we struggle. Can’t sit off us or we can pick you apart, but Sarri got it completely right in how to neutralise us. Frustrating game to watch but decent result 

Funny enough Chelsea struggles against high pressure but we mostly get the most out of it by endless passing. Why is Son out? 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Funny enough Chelsea struggles against high pressure but we mostly get the most out of it by endless passing. Why is Son out? 

I think most teams do, but only when it’s done properly, only Liverpool in the past have really shown how to do it properly when playing us imo, until last night. City just beat us from being better ha. We tried that endless passing last night but it didn’t really work cause eventually we had to hit it long anyway and give the ball back. Eriksen was really poor and Alli wasn’t in the game until he dropped back into CM towards the end. Son anonymous too, very much neutralised. Kane was great though 

Son is at the Asian Cup so we lose him for a month :( 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I think most teams do, but only when it’s done properly, only Liverpool in the past have really shown how to do it properly when playing us imo, until last night. City just beat us from being better ha. We tried that endless passing last night but it didn’t really work cause eventually we had to hit it long anyway and give the ball back. Eriksen was really poor and Alli wasn’t in the game until he dropped back into CM towards the end. Son anonymous too, very much neutralised. Kane was great though 

Son is at the Asian Cup so we lose him for a month :( 

Good news for us and the rest of the league, pretty much the player in best form in the league by far.

47 minutes ago, Cicero said:

And yet, a similar player in Busquets averages only 3 assists per season. :what:

Such a typical premier league stat. I'd like to see a stat for our ball retention that Jorginho has been involved in. 

I'd like to see that too, since he is shambles defensively. He is brushed aside in duels with most players, i am not the advocate of pissing on our own players but he is simply useless. Can't assist and his shots are terrible and usually go wide. Only player in this team that i regard worse than him is Alonso. However Sarri has his own vision and he is  the key to his system bla bla he has been over it a million times. Forcing Jorginho will be the end of him in this club.

31 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I'd like to see that too, since he is shambles defensively. He is brushed aside in duels with most players, i am not the advocate of pissing on our own players but he is simply useless. Can't assist and his shots are terrible and usually go wide. Only player in this team that i regard worse than him is Alonso. However Sarri has his own vision and he is  the key to his system bla bla he has been over it a million times. Forcing Jorginho will be the end of him in this club.

Couldn't disagree more. 

Only Liverpool have conceded fewer goals than us in the league. Our ability to retain the ball diminishes the opposition's chances at our goal. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho

Only Man City have created more chances than us in the league. Our possession play has allowed us to have more time on the ball to create chances in the third. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho. 

Calling him useless is just wrong. Busquets received much of the same criticism, majority of which from premier league fans as there always seems to be a fixation on stats. It only took several years for people to realise how important Busquets really is to how the team functions as a whole. 

My issue is what's ahead of Jorginho. Like I said, we create loads of chances. Our finishing is just terrible. When we have two incompetent strikers in Giroud and Morata. Willian who has less goals than Kante in the league. And Pedro who is more cold than hot, to blame Jorginho as the main issue to why we aren't scoring goals just couldn't be more wrong. 

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Kyletoonfan said:

15 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm being deliberately a bit over the top but unfortunately with him he's been like it as long as I can remember and I'm sure the Everton fans on here will vouch for this too - a very hit and miss player, got some talent for sure but never managed to get any real consistency. Expect he moves on from there in a couple of years.

Can confirm.

I remember when Barkley went on that run of decent performances including a goal and assist or a couple of goals against Southampton or someone similar. It was the predictable "This move has worked out perfectly for Ross Barkley, he went stale at Everton and now that he's surrounded by better players and got a manager that believes in him, he's showing his class" from rentaquote idiots like Jamie Redknapp. "To be honest with you Alex, I've always been a fan of Ross Barkley." It was particularly amusing when he had the cajones to say in an interview that it was nice to have a manager who coached him because he's never had that before. Lol I'm sure you became a professional footballer at Everton just based on your natural talent and none of the youth coaches who worked with you for over a decade between them in the academy Ross.

Another mild bug bear is how when he was mildly consistent but average for us under Koeman he was dropped from the England squad. Then he had about 20 shit games for Chelsea followed by 4 or 5 decent performances and bam, back in the England fold.

So yeah, average player for Chelsea who became overrated from all angles during his annual purple patch before regressing to his usual passenger status. Seen it play out half a dozen times at Everton. I said when he left, because it was the same time as Lukaku, that Lukaku has clearly done enough to justify wanting to move to a team like United. Barkley was nowhere near the same level and now he's being shown up.

The offside/onside is a weird one. We have one angle where he is clearly on and then the Chelsea TV shot shows Kane offside. Ultimately the officials can only go on their camera angle so they made the right decision.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Couldn't disagree more. 

Only Liverpool have conceded fewer goals than us in the league. Our ability to retain the ball diminishes the opposition's chances at our goal. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho

Only Man City have created more chances than us in the league. Our possession play has allowed us to have more time on the ball to create chances in the third. Who orchestrates it? Jorginho. 

Calling him useless is just wrong. Busquets received much of the same criticism, majority of which from premier league fans as there always seems to be a fixation on stats. It only took several years for people to realise how important Busquets really is to how the team functions as a whole. 

My issue is what's ahead of Jorginho. Like I said, we create loads of chances. Our finishing is just terrible. When we have two incompetent strikers in Giroud and Morata. Willian who has less goals than Kante in the league. And Pedro who is more cold than hot, to blame Jorginho as the main issue to why we aren't scoring goals just couldn't be more wrong. 

Modric had it as well - nobody really appreciated him fully until he was gone

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Marc said:

The offside/onside is a weird one. We have one angle where he is clearly on and then the Chelsea TV shot shows Kane offside. Ultimately the officials can only go on their camera angle so they made the right decision.

That Chelsea one in funny - it's after Alderweireld has played the ball, not in line with play and just a paint job xD

Sarri just distracting the fans from the fact they couldn't score against us when we were playing terribly

5 minutes ago, Marc said:

VAR has so much more work to do before it becomes good at what it does.. Assistant refs are instructed to not flag for marginal offside decisions even though in the instance last night they would have had a far better view of the player.. instead the angle they used to make the decision was not clear so not sure how VAR can make a decision without knowing for sure? a bit like the ref being well off the pace and seeing a player go down in the box and giving a penalty without knowing if there was an actual foul or not?? 

The other argument put forward last night was that it didn't matter that it was his upper body in the offside position because he can't use his upper body to score a goal.. I have never heard something more ridiculous in all my years of following football... they must just make this stuff up as they go along.. It's the inconsistency that kills it.. he is either off side or he is not, We have seen plenty being called for offside that are less obvious than last nights and why have an assistant if you are not allowing him to make that call?? 

Chelsea reveal footage that suggests Harry Kane was offside

20 minutes ago, Storts said:

That Chelsea one in funny - it's after Alderweireld has played the ball, not in line with play and just a paint job xD

Sarri just distracting the fans from the fact they couldn't score against us when we were playing terribly

I think it's an extremely tough call. One angle favours the onside call and one offside. Neither in line with play. What was it like in the stadium during the call? The wait was around 90 seconds I believe.

Nice to hear both managers against VAR, I'm very anti VAR myself.

19 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

VAR has so much more work to do before it becomes good at what it does.. Assistant refs are instructed to not flag for marginal offside decisions even though in the instance last night they would have had a far better view of the player.. instead the angle they used to make the decision was not clear so not sure how VAR can make a decision without knowing for sure? a bit like the ref being well off the pace and seeing a player go down in the box and giving a penalty without knowing if there was an actual foul or not?? 

The other argument put forward last night was that it didn't matter that it was his upper body in the offside position because he can't use his upper body to score a goal.. I have never heard something more ridiculous in all my years of following football... they must just make this stuff up as they go along.. It's the inconsistency that kills it.. he is either off side or he is not, We have seen plenty being called for offside that are less obvious than last nights and why have an assistant if you are not allowing him to make that call?? 

Good post mate. I often refer to the laws of the game, rather than going off clueless pundits, the laws state:

A player is in an offside position if: • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent The hands and arms of all players, including the

So yes, if a players head is offside then he or she is offside.

• Subscriber
Just now, Marc said:

I think it's an extremely tough call. One angle favours the onside call and one offside. Neither in line with play. What was it like in the stadium during the call? The wait was around 90 seconds I believe.

Nice to hear both managers against VAR, I'm very anti VAR myself.

Good post mate. I often refer to the laws of the game, rather than going off clueless pundits, the laws state:

A player is in an offside position if: • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent The hands and arms of all players, including the

So yes, if a players head is offside then he or she is offside.

Oh yeah it's extremely tight, but got to trust in the system in place, they will have the best angles you'd hope, not Sarri's laptop which is out of time.

Awful in the stadium as you can imagine, boos started after about a minute

36 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think you aren't offside unless your leg is ahead. So if your upper body is it isn't offside

• The topic was unpinned

Archived