talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UK Politics

football forum

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labour need to play their cards right now, the momentum and seeming mood is with them but the Conservatives are still the largest party and deserve a shot at forming a government. The fact this government, headed by May, is completely discredited and will be floundering from its inception is to Labour's favour, no need to shout about 'resignations' at the moment, the longer she stays the better. DUP are inherently awful, quite appalling that we have them potentially interfering but the poor people of Northern Ireland have had them for a generation now.

Do you really think the problems within labour have stopped? There's a civil war to fight between the Marxist's and the blairites. Corbyn played down the far left(whoever ran his campaign has won themselves a plush job later on in life) but his front bench are still nutters. Momentum haven't gone away they just stepped out of the limelight and were managed out of the forefront of the campaign. 

Of course, still plenty of work to do there. I think if he can be seen to include people like Clive Lewis and Dan Jarvis in frontline work it'll do wonders, usher out the likes of Abbott and I think there's the makings of an even stronger next campaign.

A lot depends on how the Tories respond, at the moment I don't see any potential leader there at the moment, in England anyway. Ruth Davidson up in Scotland seems almost decent though, as much as i try to deny it to myself.

From my observations of London today, particularly the local news coverage here, there's a problem coming over Brexit in the Labour party. Some of the metropolitan here astonishingly are framing the result as stopping Brexit. As we know some of the population who want Brexit stopped didn't go to the lib dems they went to Corbyn. However Corbyn won a lot of working class votes, particularly off UKIP, by promising Brexit to them and to stop low skilled cheap labour being imported undercutting their wages. 

That penny hasn't quite dropped in London.

With Farage coming back to frontline politics the last thing Labour need to do is send people back his way.

22 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

From my observations of London today, particularly the local news coverage here, there's a problem coming over Brexit in the Labour party. Some of the metropolitan here astonishingly are framing the result as stopping Brexit. As we know some of the population who want Brexit stopped didn't go to the lib dems they went to Corbyn. However Corbyn won a lot of working class votes, particularly off UKIP, by promising Brexit to them and to stop low skilled cheap labour being imported undercutting their wages. 

That penny hasn't quite dropped in London.

With Farage coming back to frontline politics the last thing Labour need to do is send people back his way.

you could tell from the question time audience it was very much a case of denial setting in.

6 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

She's a lesbian married to an Irish Catholic, are you surprised by her not wanting to get on with the DUP. 

They are suggesting it is over Brexit.

Also there are photos of her wirh orange order gear on.

It's interesting that the SNP MP's who regularly went on television banging their drum are some of the ones who lost or nearly lost.

King Salmond, Angus Robertson, John Nicolson, Stephen Gethins, Joanna Cherry, Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh. They are all SNP big hitters that are regularly thrown infront of the cameras.

Here's a good bit of wuming at the SNP

https://labourlist.org/2017/06/momentum-labour-is-on-the-road-to-government-with-this-conviction-politician/

read the comments, civil war is breaking out. This was Jezza's zenith, if the centre left had a Candidate they would have won I think. 

Also Ruth Davidson isn't a conservative, she's more a Liberal using the Tories as it's the easiest way to get power north of the Border aside from nationalists and Labour

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

https://labourlist.org/2017/06/momentum-labour-is-on-the-road-to-government-with-this-conviction-politician/

read the comments, civil war is breaking out. This was Jezza's zenith, if the centre left had a Candidate they would have won I think. 

Also Ruth Davidson isn't a conservative, she's more a Liberal using the Tories as it's the easiest way to get power north of the Border aside from nationalists and Labour

If you read the comments section of any paper you'd think the world was doomed.

Labour are more unified than they have been for two years, you may not like it but Corbyn's message has legs.

At next months general election ( :ph34r: ) there will be no choice but to take Corbyn seriously. Doing so will give him the legitimacy needed to direct the conservation away from his dodgy history and onto policies. It should make the next election tasty. All the dirt has been dug up and is out of the way now. The Tory campaign will have to focus solely on the policies. 

The result was a sign our democracy is culturally working. Theresa May attempted a dictatorship lip service election. An election you'd expect by President Assad. Vote for me, not for the party, not for policies, for me, give me your vote, give me your vote so I can go bully outsiders she said. That is not how we do things in a real democracy.

If there is any victory from Thursday it is that.

16 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If you read the comments section of any paper you'd think the world was doomed.

Labour are more unified than they have been for two years, you may not like it but Corbyn's message has legs.

Give it time the Labour Party are still basking in the glory of a defeat. The Tories will be much better next time and nowhere near as complacent 

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Give it time the Labour Party are still basking in the glory of a defeat. The Tories will be much better next time and nowhere near as complacent 

Do you think any deal with the DUP could do medium to long term damage to the Tories?

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Do you think any deal with the DUP could do medium to long term damage to the Tories?

No because I doubt it will carry on long enough, may won't implement that manifesto she'll drag on till she's replaced and we have another election. I've spoken to one or two labour voters who said it was protest the didn't really want Corbyn and wouldn't vote again if there's a serious chance he gets power they didn't think he'd get that close. 

Lefty media won't shut up about it however, it's no different from the blind eye turned by lefties to Islamic communities really. Only difference is it's Catholics saying it, same short of shit is expressed by Labour voters in Muslim areas. 

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

So Gordon Brown sought support from the DUP? Right...

There's a few articles about it, let's face it new Labour didn't have much of a moral compass. 

Ed Miliband also put the feelers out in 2015 with the DUP so there is obviously scope for them working with Labour.

It's all over the top anyway. Corbyn wouldn't be able to become Prime Minister without the DUP's support. It is Corbyn's pro-IRA past that has stopped him becoming Prime Minister. What goes around comes around.

I don't think it is stable or credible for the DUP to prop up a government for a full term so whoever they chose would have to call an early election. I imagine some Tories want to try and make it through a full term though.

• The title was changed to UK Politics

Archived