• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bumbling Boris Johnson New Prime Minister

football forum

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s satire, that used to be the lefts weapon now they’ve completely lost sight of it

It’s shit like the burkha stuff he spouted. That’s not satire, that’s offensive. Ask a Scott in this case. It’s not for you or I (I’m not Scottish) to say it’s satire.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It’s shit like the burkha stuff he spouted. That’s not satire, that’s offensive. Ask a Scott in this case. It’s not for you or I (I’m not Scottish) to say it’s satire.

Nope you can say satire is satire regardless of where you’re from. 

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Crystal clear. Ever lived in the UK mate?

Lol you’ve become a bit of a twat in the last 2 years, so rattled by Brexit,  back away from Twitter. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

🤣

Pretty clearly being written in humour imo.

It sounds like something John Cleese would have said on Monty python.

Next this guy will be saying people who laugh at Ali G are transracialphobic, it’s farcical from what was once a decent member of this forum. Now it’s just some rattled Spanish reminiac peddling fake news with a left wing bias, don’t take “el sirena” to seriously. 

• Subscriber

There's a political podcast I listen to which made a good point this week about people finding any excuse to bash Trump/Boris/Brexit. The more people get hysterical and find any excuse to bash these figures, the less it means. It becomes a case of the boy who cried wolf, if you keep crying foul over half truths and insignificant comments then the many legitimate criticisms get lost in this sea of pitchfork waving to the extent that people end up not listening or caring anymore. 

We all know Boris has a long history of indisgressions and coming out with stupid shit but if you're against him and you want people to listen then you have to at least make sure you're doing more than nitpicking and overplaying things that don't matter. 

47 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's a political podcast I listen to which made a good point this week about people finding any excuse to bash Trump/Boris/Brexit. The more people get hysterical and find any excuse to bash these figures, the less it means. It becomes a case of the boy who cried wolf, if you keep crying foul over half truths and insignificant comments then the many legitimate criticisms get lost in this sea of pitchfork waving to the extent that people end up not listening or caring anymore. 

We all know Boris has a long history of indisgressions and coming out with stupid shit but if you're against him and you want people to listen then you have to at least make sure you're doing more than nitpicking and overplaying things that don't matter. 

I was up north this weekend visiting Family and they’re all traditional labour core voters, in a mining village descended from miners and they pretty much said “they’ve not given him (Boris) a chance, the media. I prefer him to Bloody Corbyn”  even the 2  who voted remain said they don’t like the twisting or the attempts at subverting democracy and want out now. If Boris holds true and takes us out destroying the Brexit party vote I think he’ll win a general election vs Corbyn

• Subscriber

Yep, if the Tories can deliver Brexit then things will look good for them in the polls for a while. The Brexit party will surely mostly return to them and the second referendum/Leave rebels will gradually return from Lib Dem to where they were or would have been in the long run, some Labour but some Tory as well.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

People in the liberal centre I think over-personalise politics. 

People who eschew left and right hate to acknowledge structural and systemic problems and solutions, or to analyse problems through any kind of ideological prism. They want a technocratic hero like Blair, or Clegg, or Cameron. Competence, charisma, no scandals, no offence to their sensibilities. They are generally comfortable enough not to care about whether economic policy is centre-right or centre-left.

The problem with Boris is that he is one individual, who evidences a huge cultural, social, political problem with the country.  Is he a racist? I think probably yeah, since he is at least very comfortable around them. Is he grossly incompetent? Yeah obviously. Is he reliable or trustworthy? Obviously not. Are these the most important questions? No.

The bigger problem is that as a society we are conditioned to find amusement out of his type, but also to see him as an authority figure. We're charmed by the affable, posh buffoon who knows his Greek mythology. Our newspapers think his writings are essential material.  Our public broadcaster gave him a TV career. But we also vote for him because for some reason, in Britain, people have the idea that, deep down, somebody with his education and his background must be fit to run the country, despite all indications to the contrary. The British psyche is fundamentally deferential to our social superiors, and our society railroads them into positions of influence. 

I think the healthy mindset of any country should be a natural suspicion of the upper class. People who have been afforded more advantages in life should be subject to more scrutiny -in Britain it is exactly the opposite. Wealth and education create lowered expectations, and give more leeway to a person.

But talking about why this class exists, and why it occupies such an enormous degree of control over the country, leads to questions which the centre doesn't want to deal with. In fact, they don't even want to see the word "class".

It's easier to just make the entire issue about the moral and personal failings of government, and not the wider factors that create that government. This way, the solution is always just to find some new, better people for leadership. Does it matter if they're Greens, or Lib Dems, the Tory centre, or the Labour right-wing? 

No, because whoever they are, they'll say the right things to avoid upsetting liberal moral sensibilities, their policies will fall within the acceptable spectrum of centrist apathy, and so you get your "normality" back, without ever needing to think about the deeper problem.

The more you draw attention to the simple problems - the failings of the individual - the more you distract from the substantive problems. 

4 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I was up north this weekend visiting Family and they’re all traditional labour core voters, in a mining village descended from miners and they pretty much said “they’ve not given him (Boris) a chance, the media. I prefer him to Bloody Corbyn”  even the 2  who voted remain said they don’t like the twisting or the attempts at subverting democracy and want out now. If Boris holds true and takes us out destroying the Brexit party vote I think he’ll win a general election vs Corbyn

Having lived in the North of England my whole life, I'm well placed to state that vast swathes of people from northern ex-mill/mining towns are politically uneducated/simple/ignorant turkeys who are voting for Christmas. 

Right-wing British politics, time and time again, has shown that it is happy to let the poorer northern provinces decay while encouraging London and the South East to prosper. Why is it that predominantly Labour councils, in the most deprived areas of the country with the highest unemployment and lowest education figures have been the ones expected to slash their budgets since Dave flounced into Number 10?

Where Johnson, Banks, Farage, Rees-Mogg and the like have played a blinder since the referendum, is hoodwinking these poor sods that they actually care about transforming the North under this chest-beating, Rule Britannia-singing, protectionist bastardisation of the hateful 'trickle down' economic model they so enjoy. 'They have convinced this traditionally left-leaning populace that forgotten towns like Rochdale, Barnsley and Scunthorpe will echo Zurich, Oslo and Seoul once we crash out of the EU in October - 'everything will be better once we stop Jacek and Ahmed stealing your jobs'.

The tragedy is, is that it is so easy for these Eton-educated morally-absent parasites to manipulate these people, when their two-tier policies have systematically sapped aspirations, opportunities and prosperity out of people in these towns since the '70s.

But then, I'm a lefty communist snowflake who eats avocado sandwiches and doesn't know a hard day's work, so my opinion is invalid. 

14 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If I was hard right wing I would actually secretly fund that type of supercharged reacting left wing group that calls for your resignation on Twitter everytime you order a black cup of coffee rather than a coloured cup of coffee. It strengthens your position immeasurably.

The idea of a silent majority may be bullshit, but there's a lot of people that would listen to someone making a big deal about that type of trivial matter of no substance or consequence and say nothing but deep down totally and strongly believe that person deserved to be slapped with a giant fish. It damages the brand of the left side of politics.

19 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Having lived in the North of England my whole life, I'm well placed to state that vast swathes of people from northern ex-mill/mining towns are politically uneducated/simple/ignorant turkeys who are voting for Christmas. 

Right-wing British politics, time and time again, has shown that it is happy to let the poorer northern provinces decay while encouraging London and the South East to prosper. Why is it that predominantly Labour councils, in the most deprived areas of the country with the highest unemployment and lowest education figures have been the ones expected to slash their budgets since Dave flounced into Number 10?

Where Johnson, Banks, Farage, Rees-Mogg and the like have played a blinder since the referendum, is hoodwinking these poor sods that they actually care about transforming the North under this chest-beating, Rule Britannia-singing, protectionist bastardisation of the hateful 'trickle down' economic model they so enjoy. 'They have convinced this traditionally left-leaning populace that forgotten towns like Rochdale, Barnsley and Scunthorpe will echo Zurich, Oslo and Seoul once we crash out of the EU in October - 'everything will be better once we stop Jacek and Ahmed stealing your jobs'.

The tragedy is, is that it is so easy for these Eton-educated morally-absent parasites to manipulate these people, when their two-tier policies have systematically sapped aspirations, opportunities and prosperity out of people in these towns since the '70s.

But then, I'm a lefty communist snowflake who eats avocado sandwiches and doesn't know a hard day's work, so my opinion is invalid. 

We actually talked about that, harsh reality is that we’ve become so dependent on the banking/finance sector that we’ve got stuck in a position of having to look after the goose that lays the golden egg with London. Infrastructure and investment gets fast tracked there because the return is so much quicker than in the rest of the UK. 

The other problem is that cuts have been a convient excuse for miss management. Birmingham for example heavily blame cuts but the reality is that our staunch Labour ran council underpaid women for the best part of 30 years lostacaseand has had to fork out millions to pay for it, they sold off all the maincoucil properties like the NEC or NIA and there’s no revenue now so they whinge about the Government. 

Knowing Labour I bet it’s similar allaround the country, they’re usually bloated ineffective and inefficient whilst hugely expensive service providers. 

39 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

We actually talked about that, harsh reality is that we’ve become so dependent on the banking/finance sector that we’ve got stuck in a position of having to look after the goose that lays the golden egg with London. Infrastructure and investment gets fast tracked there because the return is so much quicker than in the rest of the UK. 

The other problem is that cuts have been a convient excuse for miss management. Birmingham for example heavily blame cuts but the reality is that our staunch Labour ran council underpaid women for the best part of 30 years lostacaseand has had to fork out millions to pay for it, they sold off all the maincoucil properties like the NEC or NIA and there’s no revenue now so they whinge about the Government. 

Knowing Labour I bet it’s similar allaround the country, they’re usually bloated ineffective and inefficient whilst hugely expensive service providers. 

Who told you there aren’t tariffs on beer?

There are tariffs on alcohol, there are infact tariffs on practically everything because it comes under the trading acts. You are bringing in products from a trading block and if you’re not a member... You pay! It’s like any other membership.

3DAD4A5F-CD48-46E3-B6EC-31DD83112FD6.png

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Who told you there aren’t tariffs on beer?

There are tariffs on alcohol, there are infact tariffs on practically everything because it comes under the trading acts. You are bringing in products from a trading block and if you’re not a member... You pay! It’s like any other membership.

3DAD4A5F-CD48-46E3-B6EC-31DD83112FD6.png

That just says beverages and tobacco, but I think he's right that bottled beer has no tariff. That doesn't include wine or spirits though, just bottled beer.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

If I was hard right wing I would actually secretly fund that type of supercharged reacting left wing group that calls for your resignation on Twitter everytime you order a black cup of coffee rather than a coloured cup of coffee. It strengthens your position immeasurably.

The idea of a silent majority may be bullshit, but there's a lot of people that would listen to someone making a big deal about that type of trivial matter of no substance or consequence and say nothing but deep down totally and strongly believe that person deserved to be slapped with a giant fish. It damages the brand of the left side of politics.

I think the US has also shown scandal fatigue is a thing. If there are too many outrageous scandals, then it makes all of the outrage look overblown and all scandals kind of blend together and become the new normal so scandals don't shock the public as much.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That just says beverages and tobacco, but I think he's right that bottled beer has no tariff. That doesn't include wine or spirits though, just bottled beer.

Everything has tarrifs although sometimes it appears in the raw materials before production and that is charged. Like I said before mate, it’s a trading block, it’s a business for Europe with membership giving you perks no other trading block on this particular planet can give you.

Why would the bottled version of beer have a free duty?

Anyway, this is after raw materials have been taxed.

495F42CE-4B45-470F-BAE1-FC729B0F34D3.jpeg

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Everything has tarrifs although sometimes it appears in the raw materials before production and that is charged. Like I said before mate, it’s a trading block, it’s a business for Europe with membership giving you perks no other trading block on this particular planet can give you.

Why would the bottled version of beer have a free duty?

Anyway, this is after raw materials have been taxed.

495F42CE-4B45-470F-BAE1-FC729B0F34D3.jpeg

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/762822/UKs_Goods_Schedule_at_the_WTO.pdf

page 81 states the duties for beer. It's 0% if its in containers of less than 10 litres, in bottles, or other.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/762822/UKs_Goods_Schedule_at_the_WTO.pdf

page 81 states the duties for beer. It's 0% if its in containers of less than 10 litres, in bottles, or other.

It doesn’t account for the duties paid for raw materials mate.

Without any type of trade agreement with the EU we will be paying more or one of the sectors from distribution to the actual supermarkets or local shops will have to cover the extra costs or we will.

Also remember another thing... Even products from food to any other point of UK production tends to use almost always materials (ingredients in the case of food products) from the EU. This will hit EVERY sector. 

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It doesn’t account for the duties paid for raw materials mate.

Without any type of trade agreement with the EU we will be paying more or one of the sectors from distribution to the actual supermarkets or local shops will have to cover the extra costs or we will.

Also remember another thing... Even products from food to any other point of UK production tends to use almost always materials (ingredients in the case of food products) from the EU. This will hit EVERY sector. 

That's true it doesn't account for the duties paid for raw materials. And I'm not a brewer, so I don't know how much of UK beer is made up of raw materials from outside the UK. The big worry regarding import duties, imo, comes from our food supply though - as we import more than half of the food in the UK. I know my dad is fairy pissed off about how it's going to affect his bakery and how the government hasn't really provided importers with any sort of guidance whatsoever.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's true it doesn't account for the duties paid for raw materials. And I'm not a brewer, so I don't know how much of UK beer is made up of raw materials from outside the UK. The big worry regarding import duties, imo, comes from our food supply though - as we import more than half of the food in the UK. I know my dad is fairy pissed off about how it's going to affect his bakery and how the government hasn't really provided importers with any sort of guidance whatsoever.

The amounts paid on duties/tariffs varies but as you can see on the graph, even paper has a duty to be paid.

I keep on repeating it but (not aimed at you mate) it seems some people can’t get it through into their heads what this is all about.

I’m not going to go into all the details, but a “No Deal Brexit” absolutely destroys this country. Forget all that crap about “short term” nonsense the snake oils salesmen are peddling.

Archived