• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bumbling Boris Johnson New Prime Minister

football forum

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I see Corbyn is already considering an attempt to get in through the back door again. 

Screenshot_20190723_200100.jpg

He seems to forget that Gordon Brown never held an election when he succeeded Tony Blair. 

Also, nice to see Plaid Cymru being themselves as per usual, wanking on about false independence. 

Screenshot_20190723_200752.jpg

Even Sturgeon offered her congratulations and didn't go off on one. 

I've seen this stupid remark a few times, do you really think Jeremy Corbyn was in support of Gordon Brown getting an unopposed Prime Minster post, do you know anything about Jeremy Corbyn?

It was wrong when Brown did it and it's wrong now. Johnson is going in a fundamentally different direction to both the previous leaders, it's simply ridiculous that there won't be some sort of vote. He will be itching to have one as soon as polls look anywhere near favourable because he has the slimmest majority and with so many rebels it's unlikely he'll get anything at all done.

40 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

he has the slimmest majority and with so many rebels it's unlikely he'll get anything at all done.

You mean so many normal people. Boris will probably switch flanks soon anyway, it’s always been his style and has never maintained a straight road in his life be it personally or professionally... That’s FACTUAL, not that facts mean anything these days and that’s also a fact. xD

Boris will fuck it all up. The only interesting part to that is guessing how he’ll do it.

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I love when an election goes poorly and people start blaming the system. America did it too. 

Letting every individual vote for their favourite comes down to even more of a backward as fuck popularity contest than it already is, and also.... People are fucking Jim Broadbent. This is exactly how you get boatyMcboatface or fucking lord buckethead as the leader of your nation. 

It is a popularity contest, especially as people vote based more on their instinctive feelings than on policies and sense, but then the questions are "who gets to decide who votes?" and "what stops it from being a popularity contest amongst the people selected?".

Instead of it being a popularity contest that everyone gets to participate in, it's a popularity contest amongst a group whose interests don't represent the vast majority of people especially when you're talking about the Tories.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Exactly. I'm saying that's a better system than letting every rretarded cunt chip in

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Instead of it being a popularity that everyone gets to participate in, it's a popularity contest amongst a group who's interests don't represent the vast majority of people especially when you're talking about the Tories.

Precisely this. It's 160,000 Tories voting for a Tory leader. Not an group of random samples.

Tories voting for a Tory when it's a Tory government that has got us in to this mess since 2016 (and Cameron before that). 

Yeah, the UK is delighted with this aren't they.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Look at how the Lib Dem spike coincides with the Brexit spike. At least a part of that could have belonged to Labour if they'd backed a second referendum and or Remain sooner.

How much would Labour have lost if they had done that though? Would it have been worth those Lib-Dem votes they might have taken? Would it have been worth the possibility of strengthening the Tories' hand?

People constantly seem to take it for granted that going full-Remain would have been a surefire winner. The reality is that it's a much more complex issue, and that the best strategy probably was to hold onto an ambiguous position for as long as possible. That in principle I think is hard to argue with - we've seen from the Brexiteer side that ambiguity is normally the best course of action.

The tricky thing was the timing - of when exactly to break ranks and take a more proactive stance. Was it executed well? Probably not, but in a tremendously fucked-up and confusing political climate, with a massive chunk of the party working like hell to protect the Tories, and with basically the full weight of the national media pushing down on them at every turn, Labour have so far managed to end up at the top of the pile, polling-wise. And we've seen that Labour's performance improves in the run up to general elections, when the media are forced to be at least slightly balanced.

Overall, considering the enormous challenge thrown at them, they could be in a much worse position. 

• Subscriber

Whichever way its spun, Labour sitting on 25% in the polls in a traditional two-party system where their opposition have their lowest approval rating in anyone's lifetimes, is a disastrous show of incompetence.

I want to like Corbyn because I approve of some of his policies but right now he's living off the fact that he led a good campaign at the last election. Fair enough to an extent, as elections matter more than polls, but there needs to be some sort of change if they want to take advantage of this Tory self destruction.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Whichever way its spun, Labour sitting on 25% in the polls in a traditional two-party system where their opposition have their lowest approval rating in anyone's lifetimes, is a disastrous show of incompetence.

I want to like Corbyn because I approve of some of his policies but right now he's living off the fact that he led a good campaign at the last election. Fair enough to an extent, as elections matter more than polls, but there needs to be some sort of change if they want to take advantage of this Tory self destruction. 

Not sure that's completely fair. This is unprecedented in British history, we've never had a country so divided as this. I really think to compare it to past eras and say 'if they had another leader' they would be on 40% or whatever is wishful thinking and driven mainly by Corbyn's opponents. Each way Labour turn they will face losing votes, this is not an easy one to navigate.

14 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I love when an election goes poorly and people start blaming the system. America did it too. 

Letting every individual vote for their favourite comes down to even more of a backward as fuck popularity contest than it already is, and also.... People are fucking Jim Broadbent. This is exactly how you get boatyMcboatface or fucking lord buckethead as the leader of your nation. 

Tbf Lord Buckethead seems like a more reasonable option than the leadership of the tories, lib dems, and labour, unfortunately.

But I don’t think our system is as flawed as the electoral college in the US

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not sure that's completely fair. This is unprecedented in British history, we've never had a country so divided as this. I really think to compare it to past eras and say 'if they had another leader' they would be on 40% or whatever is wishful thinking and driven mainly by Corbyn's opponents. Each way Labour turn they will face losing votes, this is not an easy one to navigate.

It’s really shit political leadership to not take any real stance on Brexit. And he’s so fucking appalling with the media, who yes are going to be against him because they’re mostly traditionally pro-Tory has. Being accused of anti-semitism by xenophobic bigots & you can’t put out a strong statement out against anti-semitism and then go on the offense and level actually justifiable claims of bigotry at your political opponents and members of the press to get them on the defensive?

He’s politically outmaneuvered at every turn it seems. Perhaps he’s too “genuine” of a politician and respects the electorate’s intelligence too much - but it doesn’t make for great political leadership.

The fact that the two faced Lib Dems are gaining in popularity, when all they’ll do is hop back in bed with the Tories, due to Tory blundering while Labour’s just sat on it’s hands is really telling.

Labour have been a total disaster and everyone knows this. Any normal leader would be 20 points ahead at least of this laughing stock of a government. They’re being punished for speculating and thinking only of a GE while the theme has been to sort out Brexit. They’ve done this to try and play party politics and failed. They’ve failed so much that Corbyn’s own constituency has switched dramatically. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Labour weren’t keeping Brexit votes, they were voting UKIP and Brexit Party.

But it's not so simple as how many votes Labour gains and loses. 

Labour rebranding itself as an explicitly pro-Remain party would most likely lead to the Conservatives losing far fewer voters to Farage, which strengthens them, and also gives them a far simpler campaign to run: "If Labour wins, Brexit is over, so vote for us and get Brexit".

The nightmare scenario for Labour was being pitted against a Tory party which was the most credible pro-Brexit option, which would guarantee them almost all of the pro-Brexit vote, whilst Labour would be left crossing their fingers in the hopes that Lib-Dems, Greens, and SNP voters swallow their pride and vote tactically. 

The pro-Brexit vote is more powerful because it moves more as a herd to whichever option seems to offer them what they want, on the one issue they care about. The anti-Brexit vote is largely made of idealistic centrists who'd rather crash into No Deal, than vote for a workers' party. 

That's why trying to win a GE by pitting the anti-Brexit vote against the pro-Brexit vote was and still is a suicidal tactic. Even if the anti-Brexit vote were bigger overall. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Labour weren’t keeping Brexit votes, they were voting UKIP and Brexit Party.

Indeed. Labour have haemorrhaged votes in exactly the same way and for the same reasons the Tories have. They are seen to have betrayed those who either see staying in the EU as vital or those that want to leave and don’t give a shit if the country gets fucked for it; “leave means leave!”.  Although there are a decent number of remainers that are tribalists and have kept faith until now. I know, my constituency has plenty of them and they’re difficult to convince.

29 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

They aren't Great just ok.. 

This isn’t to be condescending at all mate but there are plenty of people born and bred on this island that don’t know why the name Great Britain.

10 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I've seen this stupid remark a few times, do you really think Jeremy Corbyn was in support of Gordon Brown getting an unopposed Prime Minster post, do you know anything about Jeremy Corbyn?

It was wrong when Brown did it and it's wrong now. Johnson is going in a fundamentally different direction to both the previous leaders, it's simply ridiculous that there won't be some sort of vote. He will be itching to have one as soon as polls look anywhere near favourable because he has the slimmest majority and with so many rebels it's unlikely he'll get anything at all done.

The first point just seems like you letting off steam because the part in bold is what I'm getting at. I admit that my knowledge of politics in general is poor, but I just hate sheer hypocrisy from all sides. 

Unfortunately from where I am, I see it too often from the Welsh Labour Government as some of the things they have done (such as not sacking a chief executive from a health board despite a reported toxic culture 'from board to ward' and even an attempted cover up of a Labour AM's suicide) would be ripped apart if it was the Tories doing it. 

23 hours ago, Danny said:

The picaninnies and watermelon smiles (more Hopkins than Yaxley-Lennon tbh), his belief that Africa should be run by colonial powers (aka white supremacy), his belief that British values need to rule the world again (aka colonialism aka white supremacy) the piece he allowed at the Spectator to be published stating black People have small brains and low IQ, calling Muslim women bank robbers and letterboxes (this is probably more your style of Islamophobia than anything which is probably why you’d be slow to condem him).

You genuinely get more annoyed at people pointing out racism/bigotry than it happening. 

The spectator article you mention is by Taki Theodoracopulos and his column it’s a well known offensive rant, the publication of which was done while Johnson was on holiday but he apologised and took full responsibility as he was ultimately the man in charge. 

The Burka is ridiculous and not in the Koran, it’s misogynistic nonsense and being banned in some Muslim states and being fought by the brave women of Iran. But to you criticism of it is islamophobic, I’m not sure you’re quite aware who the ignorant party is there. 

Ref colonialsm I’m not really up on what was said but by and large if it’s just that British valves should rule the world it seems a bit of a leap to “white supremacy” to me. White supremacy would normally entail racial segregation and ethnic  nationalism statements. 

Also some of these comments are virtually 20 years old, twenty years ago the world was a different place where people weren’t looking to get offended by everything or completely write off individuals based on comments. It wasn’t such a taboo to be a little bit incentive. I’m probably about ten years older than you, I remember going to “the paki shop” etc and it’s only really been your generation that it’s been eradicated (or at least you whine and say “you can’t say that”) most people around 40 still say it albeit with a glance over their shoulder. 

Fyi I don’t call it that I call mine Tesco express 🤣

Also worth pointing out that the big racist has just made the son of a Pakistani bus driver the second most powerful person in the land. 

I’m no massive Boris fan but I’ll give him 12 months based on what he does now rather than dismiss him because of some tasteless comments in 2003 or whatever. I personally cringe at my Facebook anniversary comments from just last year, it’s life people grow

Archived