talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Supporting La Liga

With the European leagues being all wrapped up now, it's time to look forward to next year. 

In the 2018/19 season, I made a point to follow Bundesliga, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Found myself a German team that I enjoy watching in Frankfurt, and will be sure to continue to watch their matches if they are TV here. 

For the 2019/20 season, I'm going to try and do the same with La Liga. I have never really watched much La Liga, but since I'm deep into my learning of Spanish and watching Liga MX, it makes only sense that this can be more of a chance to enjoy the sport and spend more time listening to Spanish. The problem is that I suck as a neutral. Sport has winners and losers and every match I watch there is a team I hope wins, and loses, and so I will be researching, learning, and asking questions as I begin this journey of finding my La Liga club (Or Segunda Liga). The only real main rule is that it won't be Real Madrid, Barcelona, or Atletico Madrid. I have also never had the pleasure of visiting Spain so ideally it'd be nice to get a team in a wonderful city so that I can actually plan to visit one day. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have thought about this before, and there are clearly some teams that I favor, so i we are starting from there, then the likely candidates are - 

Real Betis
Valencia
Zaragoza
Deportivo La Coruna
Cadiz
Cordoba

However, I will be giving a good look to all teams. 

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have thought about this before, and there are clearly some teams that I favor, so i we are starting from there, then the likely candidates are - 

Real Betis
Valencia
Zaragoza
Deportivo La Coruna
Cadiz
Cordoba

However, I will be giving a good look to all teams. 

You should add two other clubs to that list and that have marvellous cities to visit, both in the Basque region. Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad (La Real is in San Sebastián which is one of my faves)

47 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You should add two other clubs to that list and that have marvellous cities to visit, both in the Basque region. Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad (La Real is in San Sebastián which is one of my faves)

I just may do that. 

Silly question, but aren't they considered rather pompous as they don't like the Spanish? 

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

I just may do that. 

Silly question, but aren't they considered rather pompous as they don't like the Spanish? 

These are always generalisations mate. I have family in both Bilbao and Barcelona (Basque region and Catalunya) and holidayed in both places many times from childhood when I wasn’t going to Galicia. The amount of people I met that were of that ilk in both places I can count on one hand. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

These are always generalisations mate. I have family in both Bilbao and Barcelona (Basque region and Catalunya) and holidayed in both places many times from childhood when I wasn’t going to Galicia. The amount of people I met that were of that ilk in both places I can count on one hand. 

That's why I ask. 

I don't know what it is, but Real Sociedad are such an attractable club. If I was to start watching Spanish football right now, then they are the team that would probably draw me in if I'm honest.

I like Athletic Bilbao as well, but there is something slightly more likeable about Real Sociedad. Either way, both clubs are well ran and always give chances to local players first. Unlike Athletic Bilbao, la Real allow foreign players and have done since John Aldridge joined them in the late 80s, although they still stick to those local traditions at the same time. The only thing I don't like about them is their stadium. I hate stadiums with running tracks around them, although they are currently in plans for a new stadium in the near future.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I don't know what it is, but Real Sociedad are such an attractable club. If I was to start watching Spanish football right now, then they are the team that would probably draw me in if I'm honest.

I like Athletic Bilbao as well, but there is something slightly more likeable about Real Sociedad. Either way, both clubs are well ran and always give chances to local players first. Unlike Athletic Bilbao, la Real allow foreign players and have done since John Aldridge joined them in the late 80s, although they still stick to those local traditions at the same time. The only thing I don't like about them is their stadium. I hate stadiums with running tracks around them, although they are currently in plans for a new stadium in the near future.

Cheers - 

See, I'm 'drawn' more towards Valencia, because I get the idea that it's a club embedded with the locals, and while it sucks about what's going on with their new stadium, it's a massive, traditional club. 

I 100% agree with you on one thing...and that is that running tracks are awful. 

• Administrator

If Barca didn't exist, I think I'd go for Valencia or Sevilla as a preferred Spanish club to follow.

Weird one though as when Bilbao had their Europa League run, they were very likeable and I love their tradition (if it's still going?) of only signing Basque players. To be where they are with that policy is no mean feat! 

There's quite a few likeable clubs to be honest. Visiting San Sebastian in September even for a day and it seemed like a beautiful place so maybe Sociedad does get a shout too.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

@SirBalon & @The Rebel CRS

Who would you say are the top...5 teams in terms of support and community? 

Tradition there are lots and all for different historical reasons as in the UK with steelworkers being the predominant factor.

the best support in Spain or the most renowned is possibly Sporting Gijón who always have anything between 3,000 to even 5,000 travelling fans, Atlético Madrid and Athletic Bilbao. Barcelona and Real’s main fanbase was raped (thankfully) when the Ultras were chucked out and banned. 

But I’d need a massive thread to justify everything because I’m missing a lot out. The Seville clubs also have massive support.

Never really picked a Spanish team to follow, in all honesty. I loved watching La Liga on Sky when they had it, in some ways, I enjoyed watching it more than the Premier League and quite enjoyed watching the “lesser” teams that weren’t your Real Madrid’s, Barca’s and more recently, Atletico’s. 

You can’t look past Bilbao as a special club, really. The fact they still insist on a Basque only side in this day and age is quite crazy and they more than hold their own, more often than not. 

Throw in Real Betis, Sociedad, Valencia, Eibar and Villarreal and you’ve got some good clubs there with good values and traditions (this may change if Valencia turn out to be match fixing). 

If I was in @Eco's position, I'd plump for Betis or Bilbao. 

I love Betis' colours, the atmosphere they create, I see a lot of Leeds in Betis in how we are both well backed, been relegated and trying to get back to where we were.

I love Bilbao's tradition and values. Plus Bielsa managed there. Never forget when they smashed Man U in the Europa League, although I dont think they have carried over the same partizan atmosphere in the new stadium.

It's weird though. Out of all the Spanish clubs, the team I always look out for results wise is Real Mallorca.

I remember when they used to be reasonably decent, likes of Samuel Eto' upfront. They got to the Cup Winners Cup final knocking Chelsea out in the semi's and beat Real Madrid in the Spanish Cup Final. Late 90's, early 00's was their moment really before it all went tits up.

I also went to their ground to watch a game when i went on holiday to Magaluf a while back. Couldn't tell you who they played but I was quite impressed with the ground despite it only being less than half full.

Just a shame what happened to them really.

Could always go for the oldest club in Spain "El Decano" Recreativo de Huelva.

These are the 10 oldest clubs in Spain.

1. Recreativo de Huelva - 1889
  2. Sevilla FC - 1890
  3. Athletic Club de Bilbao - 1898
  4. FC Barcelona - 1899
  5. RCD Espanyol - 1900
  6. Real Madrid CF - 1900
  7. Sabadell FC - 1901
  8. Atlético de Madrid - 1903
  9. CD Badalona - 1903
  10. Real Avilés - 1903

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

If I was in @Eco's position, I'd plump for Betis or Bilbao. 

I love Betis' colours, the atmosphere they create, I see a lot of Leeds in Betis in how we are both well backed, been relegated and trying to get back to where we were.

I love Bilbao's tradition and values. Plus Bielsa managed there. Never forget when they smashed Man U in the Europa League, although I dont think they have carried over the same partizan atmosphere in the new stadium.

It's weird though. Out of all the Spanish clubs, the team I always look out for results wise is Real Mallorca.

I remember when they used to be reasonably decent, likes of Samuel Eto' upfront. They got to the Cup Winners Cup final knocking Chelsea out in the semi's and beat Real Madrid in the Spanish Cup Final. Late 90's, early 00's was their moment really before it all went tits up.

I also went to their ground to watch a game when i went on holiday to Magaluf a while back. Couldn't tell you who they played but I was quite impressed with the ground despite it only being less than half full.

Just a shame what happened to them really.

Yeah - I am thinking Betis. I also love their kits, and live that they compete despite not having the finances of the Madrids, Barcelona etc 

I also favor Valencia. Itll be interesting to see what happens with the match fixing. While I really enjoy them, I'd hate to see them stained.

It should be noted that Bilbao will really streeeeeeeetch what is considered Basque. I think for Laporte, it was his great-great-grandmother that was Basque. The fact he played for Bilbao is still a little controversial till this day.

I think out of all the leagues Spain is the country that I admire the most from. Sociedad, Deportivo, Celta, Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico, Bilbao, Villarreal, amonst others are all interesting in one way or another.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I am thinking Betis. I also love their kits, and live that they compete despite not having the finances of the Madrids, Barcelona etc 

I also favor Valencia. Itll be interesting to see what happens with the match fixing. While I really enjoy them, I'd hate to see them stained.

It's Valladolid that are involved, not Valencia? 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Valencia are too mate. Infact the latest to come out on this last night are some recordings that leave quite a few in a more than awkward position.

7 hours ago, Eco said:

Go for Betis mate, I'll have someone to discuss them with next season.

Real Betis were with MEYBA back in the 70s and 80s just like Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, Cadíz and Espanyol. Some of the most beautiful kits ever made.

In the same way MEYBA have recreated the replicas to exactitude with Barcelona, they've also done this with the others including Real Betis. For obvious rights issues the crest isn't on there but in my view that doesn't matter and actually makes it more of a casual piece but if you like you can always purchase the embroidered crest to attach.

This is on MEYBA's website and it's beautiful.

ma1070183440-betis-retrofootball.png

You can buy it here: https://www.meyba.com/football-archive

there you will also see all the others available and the Cadíz one is bloody gorgeous!

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Valencia having agreement with Valladolid to throw a match. Both have players in awkward positions. 

Unrelated to your search for a team but I’m hoping to try and catch Bilbao and Sociedad in the same weekend sometime next season if possible, would be a good drive and trips round both cities as well

Archived