talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which Country Are You From or Living In?

football forums

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wasn't that one lad, Mo, from Egypt?

Or maybe I just think he was from Egypt now because we've got a player named Mo Salah xD

"But Gonzo, Egypt ISN'T Africa!!!!"

He was from Kuwait 

7 hours ago, Inverted said:

As a history lover you really can't beat Edinburgh as far as Scotland goes. I love Glasgow, but it was a relatively minor town before the industrial revolution and you're hard-pressed to find more than a handful of sites in from before the Victorian era. 

Edinburgh is absolutely bursting with places relevant to some of the key moments in our history like the conflicts of the mid-1600s and the Scottish Enlightenment. Glasgow was actually almost as important in the Enlightenment, but the old university site is gone and the city is nothing like it was in the 1700s. With Edinburgh, you can walk down some streets and know you're in surroundings that Adam Smith or David Hume would recognise. 

Somebody told me Glasgow is a bit of a shit hole, any truth in this?

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So neither of the two countries I thought he was from xD

@Stan and I remain the forums only Africans by virtue of that brilliant kit

There was that actual Nigerian who believed in that voodoo shit. 'innocentboy'? 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, MUFC said:

It just across rd from it, Edinburgh is the tits. Old school, cultural with modern shops etc.

Fountain Bridge in the old town has a lot of history, here are some old photos going way back.

Old Fountain Bridge Iron Factory

SC00409262.jpg

The bridge is still there, been over that many a time

The_steel_bridge.png.1000x1000_q85.jpg

1920PalisDeDance&OldToyFactoryE-Mail-.jp

image.jpg

3 hours ago, MUFC said:

There are areas that look like a dump, but overall I'd say the city centre is pretty nice. The major shitholes of Glasgow are certain schemes which are way out in the suburbs. 

The city centre and the West End is mostly Victorian with the the odd 70s/80s office building. There's also an amazing amount of green space, with there being several pretty big parks in amongst the city. 

For example in this photo you can see my uni and the more modern library popping up to the right. This park is right in the middle of one of the main areas of Glasgow, but you can sit on a bench or lie on the grass and almost forget you're in a city. 

UK_Scotland_Glasgow_Kelvingrove_park_Uni

A big part of why I think the city comes off as worse than it is, is that Glasgow is built on a river, and the waterfront is pretty run down. With most major cities with rivers, the parts next to the river are the main or most historic parts of the city, whereas with Glasgow it's almost the opposite. Everything nice was built away from the river, but I often see tourists walking around down there anyway and it's a bit embarrassing.

On 04/07/2019 at 07:12, MUFC said:

Well if you go down the council estates it will be, but then that's no different to your own City as it's full of rough areas in Manchester.

Glasgow is a nice city if you avoid the shit areas, again, just like any other big city in Britain. Whether its Manchester, London, Liverpool, Birmingham....

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Well if you go down the council estates it will be, but then that's no different to your own City as it's full of rough areas in Manchester.

Glasgow is a nice city if you avoid the shit areas, again, just like any other big city in Britain. Whether its Manchester, London, Liverpool, Birmingham....

Think that's true of any big city in the world, tbh

Archived