talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Simulation - Diving in Football

football forum

Do you agree with six game bans for diving?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with six game bans for diving?

• Yes
    • No

• Subscriber

So going back to this, Niasse today faced the first of his two games on the sidelines for what was apparently a clear dive. Although I stated that you see worse dives than that every weekend and that Niasse has been made an example of because he and his managerless club are an easy target, some people disagreed. Well, here we are one weekend of fixtures later and Fernandinho has done this:

Unfortunately, the referee saw this one (probably because the dive is about 10 times worse than what Niasse did last weekend) so Fernandinho will get a yellow card and remain available for Man City's upcoming fixtures. 

There you have it folks, the FA tackling diving and trying to make the game more fair for everyone. I actually wish City had won a free kick here so that they could prove me right about how they wouldn't have the balls to slap a top six player with a ban for it but there will be plenty more times before the end of the season to tick that box.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I heard a good point during commentary that why does a player get a yellow card in the game for being caught diving, but then gets a 2-match ban retrospectively if the ref gets it wrong?

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I heard a good point during commentary that why does a player get a yellow card in the game for being caught diving, but then gets a 2-match ban retrospectively if the ref gets it wrong?

See above, a mess of a rule. They either need to add a yellow card to the players count retrospectively or make diving a straight red offence.

I am against diving. But I do agree that sometimes players need to go down otherwise they wouldn't get a penalty that they should get. But when they dive like tom dailey that is to much.

• 3 weeks later...

A two game ban is nothing when they got 3 points in a big relegation battle. Teams at the bottom average 1 point a game at the end of the season. That's 3 games worth of points for a dive. They'll take that.

The ban was supposed to shame divers, shame the club of the diver. They'll not give a shit here.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's been a laugh watching Moyes try and defend him.

He went down because of fatigue? Brilliant.

hadn't seen those comments but that is pathetic and is part of the problem. 

I'm all for defending players and managers having their players' backs. but sometimes you can't hide from the truth and it's even worse when you get pathetic excuses like that thrown around.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Dan said:

Interesting comment by Durham earlier. Ndidi will serve a one match ban for diving (and that's because he's already on a yellow) while Lanzini will serve two.

isn't it more to do with the retrospective action angle, not whether you're on a booking or not in a game? It was touched on earlier that you could get booked for diving in a game and not serve a ban, but retrospective action means you serve a two game ban.

The principle is right that you should get punished but the 'execution' of the punishment is wrong given that there's different lengths of bans for effectively the same offence. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

isn't it more to do with the retrospective action angle, not whether you're on a booking or not in a game? It was touched on earlier that you could get booked for diving in a game and not serve a ban, but retrospective action means you serve a two game ban.

The principle is right that you should get punished but the 'execution' of the punishment is wrong given that there's different lengths of bans for effectively the same offence. 

The difference is Leicester City haven't benefited from any deception whilst sides that have decepted the ref have potentially influenced the table and when it's tight margins I'd argue that the punishment isn't severe enough.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The difference is Leicester City haven't benefited from any deception whilst sides that have decepted the ref have potentially influenced the table and when it's tight margins I'd argue that the punishment isn't severe enough.

yeah I agree. 

Either way, the punishments need to be the same.

Why is it 'fair' that if you get booked during a game, you only get a yellow?

But if it's seen retrospectively, it turns in to a 2 game ban?

Either you make it a straight red with 2 game ban during the match, or reduce it retrospectively by adding a booking to that player's tally.

Or you meet halfway and if caught diving in the match you get a 1 game ban, and if caught retrospectively, it's also a 1 game ban.

• Subscriber

The thing is, diving is disgraceful and it needs to be cracked down on. However, if I play devil's advocate, I'm sat here asking why players are getting two match suspensions for going down too easily when you've got the likes of Kane and Alli this weekend (not that I mean to pick on one team, just the most recent example) seeing no retrospective punishment for what could have resulted in serious injuries for opponents?

There's a whole can of worms here.

I would take this one step further and dock teams points if they have gained them through foul or deceptive means... They wont ever do this of course because too many big clubs will be blubbing their eyes out but if a player gains a penalty by deception and then that team goes on to win the game because of it I would null and void that penalty and what ever remains is the result.. ie: If a teams are level at 0-0 then go on to score a penalty through deceptive means and win the game then I would reverse the goal and it would end 0-0 rather than 1-0

I don't see how 2 games out for 1 player for most clubs in the league is a big issue these days.. they can afford to take the hit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived