talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Simulation - Diving in Football

football forum

Do you agree with six game bans for diving?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with six game bans for diving?

• Yes
    • No

football forum

The FA should take Scottish football's lead further and punish players diving with six-game bans, says Davie Provan.

Lucas Leiva was booked for simulation in Liverpool's 1-0 win over Watford on Monday night, while Sky Sports football expert Jamie Carragher agreed with Swansea manager Paul Clement's claim Marcus Rashford won Manchester United a penalty by diving in their 1-1 draw on Sunday.

Under International Football Association Board (IFAB) and FIFA rules, there are no sanctions against punishing retrospectively for diving but some associations - including the Scottish FA - do have their own rules.

Davie Provan is on Sky Sports News saying that the English FA should follow in Scotland's footsteps and hand out six game bans for simulation. Do you think this would cut this aspect of football out of the game for good or do other measures need to be put in place?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is going to say no to this one.  Of course they would be introduced but only if it's a blanket rule over all leagues everywhere including European, other confederative club competitions and international tournaments.  In other words, it's either done throughout the world of football or not at all.

Went for no because of the length. 

You could seriously harm a player and only get 3 but taking a fall in the box gets 6? Not for me. 

A ban is probably needed, though. Couple of games at most. 

• Administrator

nah. not 6-game, anyway.

you could break someone's leg, end someone's career for half that length of ban. 

I'm all for retrospective bans for diving, but if that's going to be 6, then longer punishments need to be considered for other things like 2-footed, dangerous tackles that actually cause a player harm, or elbows in the face/head which can cause skull damage.

I agree that 6 games is too long, that's over an 1/8th of the league season for taking a tumble. I think 3 is more reasonable, it's still a sizeable ban but not too over the top. 

They need to clarify the rule first. Does any contact at all, no matter how slight, entitle a player to go down?

4 minutes ago, HK85 said:

You could seriously harm a player and only get 3 but taking a fall in the box gets 6? Not for me. 

I thought that at first, but there's no excuse for diving, so I don't really think any length of suspension is unreasonable.

It's incredibly rare that a player breaks an opponent's leg on purpose (they can dive in recklessly on purpose, but that's not quite the same thing) whereas a player has never taken a dive by accident.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

:ph34r:

xD

The only way for it to work as the tackle from behind worked back in the day is to punish severely  and only by doing this will you get through to the players and coaches (because coaches are also involved in this from an early age).  If it's done throughout the world of football then it will work and it doesn't matter how severe the punishment is if it's the same everywhere.  Obviously you then have to prove that the dive was genuine which isn't easy.

Fans complain about diving all the time is to then annul yourself from any further criticism when it continues to happen.  In an important match (very important) a two game suspension may be worth it.

30 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

They need to clarify the rule first. Does any contact at all, no matter how slight, entitle a player to go down?

I thought that at first, but there's no excuse for diving, so I don't really think any length of suspension is unreasonable. It's incredibly rare that a player breaks an opponent's leg on purpose (they can dive in recklessly on purpose, but that's not quite the same thing) whereas a player has never taken a dive by accident.

I don't think a dive requires a more severe punishment than serious foul play. Not just talking about a leg break but the headbuts, stamps, biting, elbows etc. They're deliberate. 

Lucas deserving more of a ban for his dive last night than Zlatan's elbow against Bournemouth? I can't see it mate. 

36 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Davie Provan is on Sky Sports News saying that the English FA should follow in Scotland's footsteps and hand out six game bans for simulation.

In Scotland, it's only a two game ban not a six game ban. Which I'm in favour of.

51 minutes ago, HK85 said:

100% this.

Diving is cheating. It's not worse than violent conduct though.

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

I don't think a dive requires a more severe punishment than serious foul play. Not just talking about a leg break but the headbuts, stamps, biting, elbows etc. They're deliberate. 

Lucas deserving more of a ban for his dive last night than Zlatan's elbow against Bournemouth? I can't see it mate. 

A deliberate attempt to seriously harm another player, such as Zlatan vs Bournemouth, should also be punished with a lengthy ban, to be fair.

Alright, I will be that guy and try to present a different perspective to what everyone said above. Six match ban is fine, because the aim of these bans are to make the players stop from diving. Just imagine if there is only one match ban and a player dives and wins a penalty for his team, he doesnt care about the one match ban because they are going to face a very easy team at home the next week and they are surely bound to win that (just like how players get their 5th yellow on purpose before a easy game). However this dive wins their team a penalty and a potential 3 points. If the ban is for 6 games then they would definitely think twice before doing that.

On the other hand I always advocated stricter bans for two footed challenges where the main aim is to injure or end the career of an opponent, like ban them for quarter season or something but thats a topic for another day. 

9 minutes ago, Asura said:

Alright, I will be that guy and try to present a different perspective to what everyone said above. Six match ban is fine, because the aim of these bans are to make the players stop from diving. Just imagine if there is only one match ban and a player dives and wins a penalty for his team, he doesnt care about the one match ban because they are going to face a very easy team at home the next week and they are surely bound to win that (just like how players get their 5th yellow on purpose before a easy game). However this dive wins their team a penalty and a potential 3 points. If the ban is for 6 games then they would definitely think twice before doing that.

On the other hand I always advocated stricter bans for two footed challenges where the main aim is to injure or end the career of an opponent, like ban them for quarter season or something but thats a topic for another day. 

This is what I was talking about in my argument.  The bigger the ban, the more likely you are of eradicating it by stopping coaches encouraging it at an early age and subsequently making players keep their balance or not stick their leg out when their opponent has thought twice in time.

Diving is one of the things that I absolutely detest about this sport. Maybe it's because I grew up in a rugby household but whenever I see a big lad like Mascherano or Gerrard fall like a sack of shit because someone clipped their ankle makes me furious. I cringe to the point I want to turn the tele off and not watch the sport; it's an absolute embarrassment and it's one of the reasons it's seen as a 'poofta/fag' and 'eurotrash' sport in countries like Australia, NZ, Canada, and USA.

• Subscriber

The fact these discussions still go on is kind of the answer to me on if they'll ever happen. It would be so easy to eradicate with retrospective punishments yet it doesn't happen.

Saying that, for all I'm anti-diving, does it really justify a longer ban than a leg-breaker?

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Spike said:

Jordi Alba, the absolute rat, is the worst.

I cant stand him on any level. I've still found it hard to get passedthat part of Busquets for that matter too.

6 matches as some have said is ludicrous BUT as Balon and Asura have mentioned i think thats really the only way to erradicate it otherwise there will always be the one time missing one or two matches could be worth turning one around with a deliberate, well thought out cheat.

18 hours ago, Dan said:

The fact these discussions still go on is kind of the answer to me on if they'll ever happen. It would be so easy to eradicate with retrospective punishments yet it doesn't happen.

Saying that, for all I'm anti-diving, does it really justify a longer ban than a leg-breaker?

Depends on the intent. Keane's intentional leg-breaker should have been a life ban but the accidental leg-breaker shouldn't be punished. It's accepted that there are risks to the game and players enter a 'social contract' understanding they could be harmed if something doesn't go wrong.

23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This is what I was talking about in my argument.  The bigger the ban, the more likely you are of eradicating it by stopping coaches encouraging it at an early age and subsequently making players keep their balance or not stick their leg out when their opponent has thought twice in time.

Life in prison for kids stealing sweets. It'll stop them doing it really quick. 

• The title was changed to FA Approves 2-Match Retrospective Bans For Diving

Archived