talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Yes we are being stiffed by the TV companies who again find it fit to look after their own interests over the clubs.

It's about time there was a rule put into play to help those clubs playing in Europe, no matter how much they pay to own the coverage.

We played ok Saturday, but we must take into count how poor West Brom looked. I cant remember the last time I saw a Pulis team looks so weak in all departments.

I shouldn't grumble, good 3 points for us ~ Weds most important game of the season so far.

On 11/1/2017 at 2:36 PM, carefreeluke said:

I wouldn't say we'd have to abandon the formation I just think he needs explore other options. Football is about identity and normally the top level managers will put full faith in their ideas (which is a good thing and helps get the players on board) but sometimes they are too stubborn and resist change which they can ultimately pay the price for. 

Part of the problem has been the injuries, players playing half fit etc. We've looked good with the three man midfield, Luiz, Baka and Kante I like a lot, even throw Fabregas in there as well but it shouldn't be used every game and it's good to see Conte has looked to explore that option. I think Conte being the tactical manager he is could well look to change things tactically for us, he did a lot of experimentation in the first 4-6 months of taking charge and he has been one of the best tactical managers we've had. The 3-4-3 is fine in my opinion if everyone's available but I think we should look to show more versatility this season. You knew the exact way Roma for example were going to play against us last night and for me that was the ideal game to switch things up.

I would encourage you lot to watch snippets from the games last season, the point where Conte switched to the 3-4-3 is a good starting point and see the difference. Watch some of the first half of the 5-0 game back against Everton for example and the difference was shocking in my eyes, in terms of the space and tactical set up of the opposition.  

I think tactical reasons are playing a significant part but also injuries, schedule and a slight drop in intensity as well from the players.

:ay:

Perhaps can see why we were now after Barkley in the summer with this formation change, has some key attributes to play the role Bakayoko plays. The Barkley move is also a big middle finger to Ruben who could also play that role as well.

What the two English men lack though is the ability to get up and down the pitch, within that midfield three there's a lot of rotation, sometimes you see Kante as the furthest man forward which means Bakayoko and Fabgreas have to be tactically aware, Ruben and Barkley come up short on this tactical aspect, as well as the defensive side of the game. They could learn the role no doubt but it would take a lot of bedding in.

Barkley is better off going to Tottenham, would be the better move for his development.

Just now, Cicero said:

Can see us going after a CAM and another ST in january. 

LWB too if Rahman isn't given a chance. 

Rahman is like Kenedy, good going forward but not so good at defending. If we don't panic buy i can see him and Kenedy give Alonso poor competition, but still competition.

Just now, True Blue said:

Rahman is like Kenedy, good going forward but not so good at defending. If we don't panic buy i can see him and Kenedy give Alonso poor competition, but still competition.

Can't be any worse than Alonso though at defending. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

So if we finish 2nd, we get either PSG, Barca, or Besiktas. (Due to all other English clubs finishing 1st) 

Awesome. Going to have to beat Atletico now which I hoped would be a dead game. 

I agree with Conte's recent comments and any other manager that mentions the problem with fixtures and scheduling, it's poor. I genuinely don't think Conte is looking for excuses either, he makes a point, that is worth making.

Regardless, I never remember (from a personal view) worrying this much about the schedule with previous squads we had in the Roman era which is perhaps more a sign of how much stronger those squads were in terms of quality and depth compared to the current one we have now.

3 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I agree with Conte's recent comments and any other manager that mentions the problem with fixtures and scheduling, it's poor. I genuinely don't think Conte is looking for excuses either, he makes a point, that is worth making.

Regardless, I never remember (from a personal view) worrying this much about the schedule with previous squads we had in the Roman era which is perhaps more a sign of how much stronger those squads were in terms of quality and depth compared to the current one we have now.

We rely heavily on 'the system', and if one crucial component (player) is missing, we don' function the same. Along with a LWB, we need another CM in January. 

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

The stance Conte is taking is no different than Jose all the way back to his first time at Chelsea. For me, this could be sorted by the PL swallowing a bit of pride and supporting their big clubs in a different competition. From what I understand of things, the problem could become worse with Saturday night football (8pm ko) being introduced as a package in the next round of TV Contracts, which will mean those paying for the contract are going to want the big clubs to fill those fixtures as well as the 5pm fixture.

I back the manager in what he is stating, but firmly believe he is wasting his breath on the powers at be and asking for help from the media is as laughable as anything I have ever heard from a Chelsea manager, which includes Hiddink asking for help from the media when a "injustice" happened a number of times against Bacelona in 09.

4 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

The stance Conte is taking is no different than Jose all the way back to his first time at Chelsea. For me, this could be sorted by the PL swallowing a bit of pride and supporting their big clubs in a different competition. From what I understand of things, the problem could become worse with Saturday night football (8pm ko) being introduced as a package in the next round of TV Contracts, which will mean those paying for the contract are going to want the big clubs to fill those fixtures as well as the 5pm fixture.

I back the manager in what he is stating, but firmly believe he is wasting his breath on the powers at be and asking for help from the media is as laughable as anything I have ever heard from a Chelsea manager, which includes Hiddink asking for help from the media when a "injustice" happened a number of times against Bacelona in 09.

Conte's argument is a valid one but an old one. The FA has never supported English clubs in Europe. It goes back to the beginning of European competitions in the mid 50's. Chelsea won the league in 55 and were not allowed to play in the European cup.  I have often wondered if United would have tried to get off that runway a third time at Munich if they didn't have to get back to play Wolves two days later on the 8th of February.   If they had stayed over night in Munich they wouldn't have got back to England til the 7th and I believe, but I am not 100% sure that they would have had to forfeit the game against Wolves because they did not get back to England 48 hours before kickoff.

Other European leagues bend over backwards to help their teams.  Hard to imagine that Real or Bayern would have to face a tough domestic rival two days after getting home after playing an European game as Chelsea has to do this weekend.

It has been 60 years, it time for the English FA to do something to help English clubs in Europe.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Bollocks. The cards are stacked so firmly in favour of certain clubs, Chelsea don’t deserve the mantle big club they’re a lottery winner, they don’t need the fixtures fiddled further in their favour.

The bald match fixer is just looking for excuses.

Thanks for letting us all know what hangs between your ears :ay: