talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Mix that in with no European fixtures, the focus and fitness of our players were top notch. 

that's the main reason to why Chelsea dominated last season.      Now, we're seeing all these problems and Conte doesn't have a good enough bench to rotate the team.

We all know how Roman is.     Maybe Hello Juventus again for Conte next season ??

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Last year, teams wouldn't press our back 3 (bar City, Spurs, and Arsenal in the FA Cup Final)  That in itself gave us the advantage as we had the space to move the ball freely and as a cohesive unit.  Mix that in with no European fixtures, the focus and fitness of our players were top notch. 

We are easily exposable now. Teams now know that if they put pressure to our back three, it forces our wingbacks to drop deeper. They put pressure on our wingbacks, especially limited ones like Alonso and Moses, we only have two midfielders as outlets, to which they themselves are under pressure, leaving us no choice but to hoof it. I believe this has created a lack of confidence in the side. Change is needed and a good run of victories. I'm 100% sure Conte is capable of it. 

Yeah mate exactly, a big factor as well is the teams outside the top six a lot of the time sit off because they don't want to take the risk of pressing high which benefits us because it allows us to transition from the back into midfield easily.

What we're seeing more of especially against the better teams is Courtois being forced to go long and the outcome is normally the other team getting the ball back and they attack us again, wave after wave which increases the pressure on our defence. Courtois' second option if he cannot play short is to hit Alonso in the air near abouts the half way line but we're seeing that a lot less this season for some reason and this season we don't have Costa's presence up front if we're forced to go long.

Our wingbacks are pinned back which makes Alonso useless as he cannot beat a man, Moses at least can be direct and run at defenders.

Edited by carefreeluke

Well I have sat through the Roma game a few times now and I must stress my first thought after the game. Roma are not a great side.

So what went wrong?

The early first goal, a touch of a worldy about it (Alonso sleeping or just too slow) which stunned the players, but we were soon bossing the game n making chances. Infact, we had a great chance before they scored.

It's those failures to take the chances we created which I believe had the biggest baring on the first half score. By the time our defence had given them another goal, you could argue we had been the better side in the first half.

It's the 2nd half performance which needs to be highlighted as not good enough. As I was sitting through it watching us give the ball away with extremely poor passing I got the impression the players were going through the motions, kinda sussing the game had no meaning from this point.... Lets save ourselves for the next game.

That for me is part of the problem, we actually walked off the pitch still in pole position to get through and come the next game, a win will make the Roma game truly a nothing game.

Couple of things I would like to bring up. The manager keeps changing the defence, or at least, playing the guys in different positions. Not sure why Cahill was moved across the backline. There was no reason for that and sods law, 2 goals coming from the left side. Rudiger is living up to his name of having a mistake in him far too often and Dave is making more n more mistakes. He too will benefit from playing in the one position, for me that should be right wing back (As he was on the night) while Moses is out, then he would struggle to make the team. He has always looked a 200% trier, almost over rushed, something I think Jose liked in him, but these days he looks just that, rushed off his feet. There are those who would like to see him take Alonso's place, however I like natural left footers.

Obviously the return of Kante will help, but we have to hope the manager pairs him with Bakayuko and not Cesc. Cesc is a wonderful player, one of my all time favs, however, for me he is a major weakness in our team at the moment and I long for those late appearances of last season when he walked on n shared his magic.

Lastly, Morata.

I appreciate the boy has never been an out n out target man. He really isnt Costa and we are starting to see how much we miss the guy now he isnt around. Like Drogba before him, he was a wonderful out. I felt strongly at the time it was the right decision to move him on. It's going to be painful while our young replacement learns his new trade, that is, if he sticks around long enough to do so.

Footnote:

Being widely reported the managers job is safe and the club will invest in players come the window. We will see.

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Roman Abramovich has already decided to sack Antonio Conte and is considering Chelsea’s next managerial appointment, according to reports in Spain.

Marca claims that the Italian’s relationship with Chelsea’s hierarchy has ‘deteriorated’, he is no longer on speaking terms with the club’s billionaire owner and all communications are going through Marina Granovskaia, a director who plays a large part in the team’s transfer business.

yawning-smiley-face.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Well I have sat through the Roma game a few times now and I must stress my first thought after the game. Roma are not a great side.

So what went wrong?

The early first goal, a touch of a worldy about it (Alonso sleeping or just too slow) which stunned the players, but we were soon bossing the game n making chances. Infact, we had a great chance before they scored.

It's those failures to take the chances we created which I believe had the biggest baring on the first half score. By the time our defence had given them another goal, you could argue we had been the better side in the first half.

It's the 2nd half performance which needs to be highlighted as not good enough. As I was sitting through it watching us give the ball away with extremely poor passing I got the impression the players were going through the motions, kinda sussing the game had no meaning from this point.... Lets save ourselves for the next game.

That for me is part of the problem, we actually walked off the pitch still in pole position to get through and come the next game, a win will make the Roma game truly a nothing game.

Couple of things I would like to bring up. The manager keeps changing the defence, or at least, playing the guys in different positions. Not sure why Cahill was moved across the backline. There was no reason for that and sods law, 2 goals coming from the left side. Rudiger is living up to his name of having a mistake in him far too often and Dave is making more n more mistakes. He too will benefit from playing in the one position, for me that should be right wing back (As he was on the night) while Moses is out, then he would struggle to make the team. He has always looked a 200% trier, almost over rushed, something I think Jose liked in him, but these days he looks just that, rushed off his feet. There are those who would like to see him take Alonso's place, however I like natural left footers.

Obviously the return of Kante will help, but we have to hope the manager pairs him with Bakayuko and not Cesc. Cesc is a wonderful player, one of my all time favs, however, for me he is a major weakness in our team at the moment and I long for those late appearances of last season when he walked on n shared his magic.

Lastly, Morata.

I appreciate the boy has never been an out n out target man. He really isnt Costa and we are starting to see how much we miss the guy now he isnt around. Like Drogba before him, he was a wonderful out. I felt strongly at the time it was the right decision to move him on. It's going to be painful while our young replacement learns his new trade, that is, if he sticks around long enough to do so.

Footnote:

Being widely reported the managers job is safe and the club will invest in players come the window. We will see.

The situation with Costa was difficult, I like Morata and will judge him properly come the end of this season but he was never an upgrade on Costa that's for sure.

• Administrator

Has Conte lost the dressing room? Unrest at Chelsea?

Antonio Conte gave his Chelsea players the full hairdryer treatment during an angry inquest into their second-half surrender in Rome and warned it can never happen again.

Ahead of Sunday’s visit of Manchester United, head coach Conte made it clear that any players who do not follow his orders will be left out and he made examples of some of the worst offenders.

Barely anybody escaped the dressing down and even Kenedy, who was an unused substitute during the 3-0 Champions League defeat to Roma, received a lecture after being caught yawning during the meeting at Chelsea’s Cobham training ground.

As revealed in Telegraph Sport a fortnight ago, Conte has become concerned by the behaviour of some his players in recent weeks.

David Luiz was ticked off for his reaction to being substituted in the home draw against Roma after which Conte told his players they must stick together. Charly Musonda was also slapped over the wrists for complaining about a lack of first-team opportunities on Instagram.

But, with his pride dented after being beaten 3-0 on his first return to his native Italy as a manager since leaving his post with the national team, Conte’s patience snapped as he attempts to get his players ready for the visit of United and former Blues manager Jose Mourinho.

Conte accused them of failing to take responsibility on the pitch during the second half in Rome, having substituted captain Gary Cahill in the 56th minute.

He was particularly dismayed by the standard of defending, which has since been mocked on social media. Having switched Cahill to the right side of the back three, Conte was made to look like he had blundered in front of the Roma fans, who took great joy in getting one over the former Juventus player and manager.

Despite the fact many people have predicted it is Conte’s future on the line, the Italian made it clear to his players that he is not fearful of the sack by promising to drop anybody who does not show an immediate improvement.

Conte has already proved that he is not afraid to take on his stars after reminding Diego Costa he was no longer part of his plans in a text message during the summer.

Having defended his players following defeats this season, Conte publically accused them of lacking motivation and hunger against Roma – two things that were the trademark of last season’s Premier League title success.

Chelsea blamed “palpable discord between manager and players” for the decision to dismiss Mourinho in 2015, but, crucially, Conte retains the board’s backing.

They are sympathetic of the fact that Conte’s squad has been hit by injuries and suspensions, and there is also a level of acceptance that the summer transfer window could have gone better.

Wonder what kind of reaction we'll see on Sunday against Utd.

Don't think he'd be making these threats if he didn't have the full backing of Roman. The board have yet again weakened the team after a title win. 

Hope Conte keeps his word. Far too many underperformers. 

Edited by Cicero

The Roma game was a simple example how a team can lose solely by making catastrophic mistakes. The first goal was assisted by Džeko but that was pure luck hardly any intention, the second was a pub league mistake by Rudiger who should have either get the ball or kick it out. He didn't expect any Roma players to be behind him. After the first goal Morata missed a sitter which would probably change the course of that game. We could have got one closer to the end of the first half but it was 2-0 at half time. In the second our worst performance this season, zero commitment and zero effort. They gave up at half time, okay i can accept that this game wasn't crucial but the defending with three players running behind Džeko and two Roma players free on the flanks what the hell was that? No way we can blame this season on lack of Europe. Professional players have to be fit enough to play two games a season, it's not like we are playing cup finals every week against Barcelona. I have to agree with Cicero on the formation, even at the title winning season i wasn't convinced that 3-4-3 would work long term but it did. However does it truly work now? I'd switch back to 4-2-3-1 we have the players who would fit right in, Conte turned things around last season i hope he can do it this season too. As we all know Roman isn't really known as a man who has patience, not sacking Conte that would be a complete disaster. No clue what to expect against United on Sunday, will it be a good result and a good performance or a replay of the Roma game.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think the  3-4-3 doesn't work. Conte practically won 7 titles using this formation. 

What I am saying is that we found it easy last year. No Europe to deal with and teams didn't know how to expose the 3 at the back, as they rarely came across it in England. 

What makes this formation successful, is having the right players. Cesc isn't a deep CM, Alonso and Moses are limited fullbacks and Cahill can't play from the back. When teams put pressure on us, that is when our weak links truly get revealed in the limelight. 

Every system has a hump it needs to go over when the novelty factor wears off, and teams start spotting the weaknesses.

It doesn’t mean it’s no use - every shape has a way of attacking it - it just means you’ve got to tinker with the details and try fresh personnel combinations.

6 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Kante training with the first team, seem's like he is back tomorrow major boost. The lads need a good performance after Roma.

Lets hope they don't rush him back before he is fit enough or he could just get laid up for longer... 

To dig something up from 2014 on Andreas Christensen:

I understand the doubts people have about him physically but he needs an extended run in the team and with that hopefully he'll improve otherwise he'll just end up being successful somewhere else like De Bruyne, Lukaku, Salah or whoever.

"Believe me, I am sure that he will be a top footballer and one of the future men for Chelsea." Terry told TV2 Sporten.

"I talk to him daily, train with him and try to give him as much advice as I can.

"I have always told him that he should chase me and knock me off the team. He should be hungry to take my place in the team.

"For me, Andreas is a brilliant footballer and he will certainly get his chance at Chelsea."