talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carlo Ancelotti Hired As Everton Boss

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DNA said:

Horrible move for both parties, Ancelotti is a manager for top sides who just need a bit of man-managing and get them going again; not for a rebuild project like Everton.

I don’t think Everton are that much in need of a rebuild - I think 3 good signings make them very good on paper. All along the spine of the team, a CB, a good central midfielder, and a striker. They’ve got good players, just an unbalanced squad & they’ve massively underperformed this season.

And good man management is definitely something Everton need. Far too many times this season (for an Everton fan... not for me tbh) Everton go a goal behind and the players heads drop & the players just let mistakes creep in. And they’ve also got 2 pretty slow centrebacks which doesn’t help them against quick attackers, which this league has plenty of. So they’re already a bit prone to giving chances up (imo Michael Keane looked better than he is at Burnley because of how compact and deep they set up).

I’d argue, and I think plenty of Everton fans would agree with me, that one of their biggest issues is the self-defeatist mentality that’s been around at Everton for years.

I think this is a good opportunity for Ancelotti and Everton. And I really don’t want him to be the Everton manager because I actually like him. Ancelotti’ll be under pressure at Everton, but he won be under the same pressure he’d be at... any of his former clubs. And part of what he’ll be bringing in is teaching the players how to think like winners. And another part of what he’ll bring in is a greater draw to bring in players than I think they’d have with some of the other names they were looking to bring in. And some of those names were and are far less accomplished than even an Ancelotti in decline.

I know a lot of blueshite fans wanted Arteta in... but if you love him as a former player as a fan, do you think his first job as a manager should be guiding a club through a tough patch after half a season they’ve massively under performed? What if he’s a good coach but a totally shit manager? Then you run the risk of ruining his managerial career before it starts, tarnishing a fan favourite’s reputation, and maybe putting yourself back a year or two (or more) for your goals on the pitch. Everyone seems to be looking for the next Pep & Zidane in appointing a former legend. I think it’s a pretty risky move, especially if you’re not Barca or Real Madrid.

I think it’s a safe, yet not stale like a Moyes-type, and sensible appointment.

Interesting take. Either way, it's totally unchartered territory for Carlo, I still think their owner is throwing money at the 'name' rather than going for let's say a more 'hungry' manager who's had experience in working with this kind of set up and circumstances before. And yea, you'd think that bit of star power he comes with will shake things up a bit, the appointment itself would be the biggest statement Everton have made in decades; even if his stock has gone down a bit.

56 minutes ago, shut up said:

should have hired Arteta. B|

Why would Everton want a totally unproven manager (well someone who hasn't managed a club for one single minute actially) who's only being touted by the media because 'Pep says hes a really hard worker', when they are in a relegation battle?

That would be absolute madness!

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, shut up said:

why would they want a manager who has been sacked 5 times in the past decade, whose only success has come with sides already built and usually the best in the league? (and  despite this only has 4 league titles in 20 years to show for it)

That would be absolute madness! 

Blokes won loads of leagues and cups including Champions League. To do that you need to be good at man management, good at tactics and good at coaching players. Sounds good to me. 

There are obviously doubts about him but I just can't see how this appointment can be seriously criticised for a club in our position. Even if you wanted to argue that Arteta would have been a better appointment he's gone to Arsenal anyway. Then the alternatives are all a load of turgid, average shite.

Worst case scenario Ancelotti proves no better than Koeman or Silva and he goes after a couple of seasons, and the profile of the club has had a shot in the arm in the process. We haven't won anything since 1995. We need to try something different. This is different.

7 minutes ago, shut up said:

He hasn't won loads of league titles though. he's only won 4 in 20 years of management despite managing Chelsea, Juve, AC Milan, PSG, Bayern and Real Madrid in that time. like, how do you only win 4 titles despite being in charge of one of the best teams in Europe for 20 years straight xD 

if he's struggling with Napoli in Italy, I don't see what he's going to be able to do at Everton? he seems to get sacked everywhere he goes. :what:

Why are you so desperate for Ancelotti to be a bad signing? Suggests a bit of insecurity about your own appointment. 

11 minutes ago, shut up said:

How is pointing out his record desperate for him to do bad? why are you so rattled by me pointing out his obvious flaws? everything I have said is fact

Just seeing a lot of Arsenal fans aggressively telling Evertonians how their new manager is some sort failure. I'd suggest this is because they're struggling to come to terms with their own increasing irrelevance. Could be wrong though. 

• Subscriber

There's only one person coming across as rattled here. Like I said, nothing wrong with pointing out Ancelotti is somewhat unproven in a scenario like the one he's walking into, but he was the best manager available. If you're Everton chairman and Ancelotti is interested in managing the team are you seriously going to say thanks, I just think David Moyes is the man to take us forward. Come on.

1 hour ago, shut up said:

He hasn't won loads of league titles though. he's only won 4 in 20 years of management despite managing Chelsea, Juve, AC Milan, PSG, Bayern and Real Madrid in that time. like, how do you only win 4 titles despite being in charge of one of the best teams in Europe for 20 years straight xD 

if he's struggling with Napoli in Italy, I don't see what he's going to be able to do at Everton? he seems to get sacked everywhere he goes. :what:

Ok, so what's your arguement as to why Arteta is some masterstroke signing by Arsenal, except that Pep said hes got a great work ethic? 

Ancelotti, despite not winning as much as he probably should, is a much more proven manager.

I'm not even saying Ancelloti is the best man for Everton, I just dont get your fawn over a first team coach that's never managed a club in his entire life?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, shut up said:

How, when you have just said he's unproven in the scenario at Everton? He struggled with a great Napoli side in his native league, but he's gonna be great with Everton? O.o

That's just simply not true. In 109 games he only lost 22 and won 67. Ancelotti was completely undermined this season by De Laurentis at Napoli, the latter forcing players to go on 'ritiro' which the former disagreed with but went along with. The players didn't. They and De Laurentis were culpable for the poor run of form. Bear in mind though, that poor run of form mostly constituted of draws not defeats. Napoli imploded yet somehow Ancelotti 'struggled with a great Napoli side in his native league'?.

Absolute bollocks. 

• Administrator
Just now, shut up said:

This is bollocks. Ancelotti is responsible for results, nothing to do with the board. 7th place is embarrassing for Napoli. Ancelotti 100% to blame

Errant nonsense. Go research the topic further. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, shut up said:

I have. Ancelotti is done at the top level. Finished manager.

No, you clearly haven't otherwise you'd have considered the ritiro incident and why FIFPRO were backing the players over unfair fines. Players who were unhappy at the president interfering and usurping his own manager's authority. I'm not debating that with you as it's a matter of fact, your statement is subjective tosh. I'm exiting this absurd nonsense.  

Can't really be sure why someone can get so ruffled at a management appointment at another club... seems very odd, if you throw in the fact that the same person thinks that said appointment is rubbish and won't do well makes it even stranger... I could understand it more if Ancelotti had walked out on Arsenal in favour of Everton but no... 

It is a different set up at Everton to what Ancelotti has been used to in the past for sure so will be interesting what tactics/influence he has on the team for the remainder of the season. Also going to be important how they back him financially in the transfer market, not sure what the funding situation is like at Everton currently?? 

As has already been mentioned though they have stepped away from the tried tested and failed model of previous years for something a little more ambitious and have absolutely nothing to lose... 

9 minutes ago, shut up said:

Of course, although it's more about long term success. if we wanted a little boost this season with no real future we would have hired Mourinho or Ancelotti type manager. We, however, need someone to build a squad here over the long term. We don't know if Arteta can do that as he's never been given an opportunity before, but we know for a fact Mourinho or Ancelotti can't. 

It's a gamble, but we didn't have many options to choose from really.

Neither did Everton to be fair.

• The title was changed to Carlo Ancelotti Hired As Everton Boss

Archived