The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - 14-15th December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just seen Bournemouth's goal. That's pretty impressive from a defender xD

Would have been bad if that was disallowed. VAR doing a good job there. Who'd have thought :ph34r: @DeadLinesman

Doing a good job? He was absolutely miles onside xD Even the commentator (who are supposed to stay parcial) said it was a joke how long it took to make a decision. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Doing a good job? He was absolutely miles onside xD Even the commentator (who are supposed to stay parcial) said it was a joke how long it took to make a decision. 

Exactly. Did you see the incident? The goal was originally given offside and flagged for it. Hence VAR correcting the decision. What's hard to understand about that? 

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Exactly. Did you see the incident? The goal was originally given offside and flagged for it. Hence VAR correcting the decision. What's hard to understand about that? 

Yes I saw it. Im not disputing VAR overturned it, I'm saying it took an absolute age to do so when the player was clear as day onside. I mean, how can it possibly take so long when there was clear daylight between the players? 

In my opinion that is not doing a good job and is one of the reasons so many people have already turned against VAR when originally they were in favour. Listening to the players and managers recently, it's pretty clear that they cant stand it either. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Again, not talking about the decisions as such, more about the time it takes to make simple decisions. 

Jesus this is hard work xD

People have short memories though. The amount of fucking whinging on MOTD and interviews when players were offside, fouls weren’t given before goals etc. Now they’re whinging about the solution, even though it’s only been around 5 months and has obvious teething issues. Your damn right it’s hard work, imagine fucking everything off after 5 months because it’s not immediately 100% infallible or the finished product xD

• Subscriber

Fucking confusing, sitting there watching the match Pool v Watford and they gave a pool goal as off-side and to me, it was 50/50 but as our son said, even if the very end of your nose is sticking out over the line on the photo then it's off-side.

A bit like a photo finish in a horse race I would imagine but they have been doing that for years and the bookies and punters don't complain so I would imagine it will take a while yet for VAR to be nearly a 100% but it's the time wasted that's ruining the game.

I still say they should have a screen on the touchline where the actual ref running the match can decide and maybe have the two captains of the team beside him and still have the big screen showing for the supporters but I am no expert. 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Fucking confusing, sitting there watching the match Pool v Watford and they gave a pool goal as off-side and to me, it was 50/50 but as our son said, even if the very end of your nose is sticking out over the line on the photo then it's off-side.

A bit like a photo finish in a horse race I would imagine but they have been doing that for years and the bookies and punters don't complain so I would imagine it will take a while yet for VAR to be nearly a 100% but it's the time wasted that's ruining the game.

I still say they should have a screen on the touchline where the actual ref running the match can decide and maybe have the two captains of the team beside him and still have the big screen showing for the supporters but I am no expert. 

There are screens. For some reason they don't use them in the Premier League.

28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’d like offside to be feet only. Far more clear on a replay as well. 

I'm not sure if I've just completely made this up but didn't the rule used to be clear daylight between the attacker and defender? Surely with the introduction of VAR this would make sense. Some of these decisions that are being ruled offside you literally can't tell and they're just guessing. There's been a few of them this season

36 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I'd go as far as saying I'd prefer daylight between the attacker and defender. Simple then. Benefit should always go to the attacking team IMO.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

There are screens. For some reason they don't use them in the Premier League.

Fucking mental.

36 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Going back to horse racing and they say 'Won by a Nose', footy then would be 'Offside by a foot'  xD

42 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

That might work. Quick and easy to come to a decision...... hopefully xD

As a lot of people are complaing about, it's the time it's taking after a goal is scored, its ruining the somewhat.

• Subscriber

@Stan

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal-Manchester City game removed from schedules by China state TV

@Storts

CCTV will now show Sunday's game between Tottenham and Wolves, instead of a live broadcast of Arsenal's home match with the reigning Premier League champions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50799009

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

That might work. Quick and easy to come to a decision...... hopefully xD

As a lot of people are complaing about, it's the time it's taking after a goal is scored, its ruining the somewhat.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not sure if I've just completely made this up but didn't the rule used to be clear daylight between the attacker and defender? Surely with the introduction of VAR this would make sense. Some of these decisions that are being ruled offside you literally can't tell and they're just guessing. There's been a few of them this season

I think it was clear daylight at some point. However, you’re just going to get refs pissing around and arguing about if they can see a gap between the players which will again become bollocks. Just measure the feet and get on with it. You play/run with your feet. Leaning into a run shouldn’t put you offside. It’s a fucking ridiculous rule when you start measuring hips and earlobes. For me, Mane’s first was a fantastic example yesterday. His hip has fuck all to do with that header. It was class.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I'd go as far as saying I'd prefer daylight between the attacker and defender. Simple then. Benefit should always go to the attacking team IMO.

It's far from simple. People aren't perfect cubes, for a start, particularly when they're running. Plus you're never going to have a camera keeping up with the offside line throughout the game,  so "clear daylight" is basically just asking if the last part of the forward (furthest from the goal) is ahead of the first part of the defender (closest to the goal). You'll still end up with the lines being drawn and all the pettiness that goes with it. You're not actually solving any problems, and I don't think you'd even see a significant reduction in offsides.

I quite like @DeadLinesman's idea of limiting it to feet, but ultimately I don't think there's a lot wrong with what they're doing now apart from how long it takes. There is a margin of error which needs to be acknowledged, but I have very little time for the argument that VAR's shit because a particular player was only a little bit offside.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived