Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

570+ officially confirmed cases and 17 fatalities.  Has already spread to at least six countries, including the US, Japan, South Korea, Thailand. 

5e28745e24306a0b1570b652?width=700&forma

The virus has originated in Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, reportedly from a local wildlife market (most likely from bats and snakes). The virus strain is in the same family as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). It has reportedly mutated and can be transmitted from human to human. China has put the Wuhan and two other cities (Huanggang and Ezhou) under lockdown, all forms of public transport are suspended under further notice, main highways are being shut down, people are urged to avoid crowds and large gatherings, and face masks are mandatory. There are fears of the virus spreading more rapidly with the Lunar New Year approaching, which means hundreds of millions people traveling all over the world. 

Need to make exhaustive checks to all the people travelling to those areas and going back to their countries to avoid a pandemic.

6 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Need to make exhaustive checks to all the people travelling to those areas and going back to their countries to avoid a pandemic.

Airport health checks are already being carried out in numerous countries; the problem is the incubation period. It is said to be around 3-12 days in case of this new coronavirus although that's just an estimated guess. The actual incubation period as well as the transmission mechanism  is not yet known and has been approximated with the estimates obtained for MERS and SARS... So that basically means that infected people without an onset of symptoms are pretty much impossible to be identified via simple screening. Not to mention that even people with symptoms such as fever can easily pass those airport checks. In fact a woman from Wuhan just did it in order to enter France and even boasted about it on social media... so now there's a suspected case in France as well.

WHO will decided today on declaring a global health emergency.

It's also worth noting that the actual number of cases is likely under-reported and the virus is already spread much more than we think it is.

Latest official updates from China:

ovh2wycujgc41.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg

Data statistics as of 2020-01-23 12:02

Nationwide: 585 cases confirmed, 392 suspected, 28 cases cured, 17 deaths (of which 10 cases have not been identified for the time being)

Source of infection: Not known, but may come from snakes or bats

Virus: New Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Transmission channels: Not fully grasped, human-to-human transmission, medical staff infection, and community transmission to a certain extent

Does the virus mutate: it is possible

Whether the epidemic has spread: yes

Source: https://3g.dxy.cn/newh5/view/pneumonia

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Airport health checks are already being carried out in numerous countries; the problem is the incubation period. It is said to be around 3-12 days in case of this new coronavirus although that's just an estimated guess. The actual incubation period as well as the transmission mechanism  is not yet known and has been approximated with the estimates obtained for MERS and SARS... So that basically means that infected people without an onset of symptoms are pretty much impossible to be identified via simple screening. Not to mention that even people with symptoms such as fever can easily pass those airport checks. In fact a woman from Wuhan just did it in order to enter France and even boasted about it on social media... so now there's a suspected case in France as well.

WHO will decided today on declaring a global health emergency.

It's also worth noting that the actual number of cases is likely under-reported and the virus is already spread much more than we think it is.

Well in that case i'm sorry for that people but anyone who has travelled to areas at risk recently has to be quarantined until fully clear, it may be harsh on them but the consequences could be much worse.

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Well in that case i'm sorry for that people but anyone who has travelled to those countries recently has to be quarentined until fully clear, it may be harsh on them but the consequences could be much worse.

I get what you're saying but with the number of people travelling daily that's pretty much impossible I think...

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I get what you're saying but with the number of people travelling daily that's pretty much impossible I think...

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult, mainly in the US, Western Europe, Oceania and Asia, but a start should be prohibiting flights and cruises specially to China for the time being. They would have to use huge spaces and something like medical tents seen on horror movies.

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult, mainly in the US, Western Europe, Oceania and Asia, but a start should be prohibiting flights and cruises specially to China for the time being. They would have to use huge spaces and something like medical tents seen on horror movies.

Already happening in China apparently! :o 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Already happening in China apparently! :o 

Yep. I'm a visionary. :D

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's is the closest I have ever been to China is Singapore many moons ago, glad I am not near that part of the world now.  

I worry a bit now about Australia as I have family out there and they do get a lot of Asian visitors or emigrants arriving. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I worry a bit now about Australia as I have family out there and they do get a lot of Asian visitors or emigrants arriving. 

I have friends/people I care about in SE Asia so I'm getting a bit worried. I also want to go back there in the next few months so I hope the situation doesn't get worse.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Two suspected cases in Scotland; placed into isolation with flu-like symptoms after travelling to China.

The wife spotted that news and told me, worrying times all over the world I would imagine. 

What a start to 2020, first a potential third world war and now a global threatening virus. This is going to be an eventful decade

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I have friends/people I care about in SE Asia so I'm getting a bit worried. I also want to go back there in the next few months so I hope the situation doesn't get worse.

Why? It's affecting what, 0.0001% of the population? Even in those it does it's mostly a cough and a sniffle, it is dangerous for the elderly and young, like any flu.

Anyway, we're due a massive pandemic. Possibly wipe us all out? Be good for every other living thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why? It's affecting what, 0.0001% of the population? Even in those it does it's mostly a cough and a sniffle, it is dangerous for the elderly and young, like any flu.

Maybe the people she cares about are elderly and young?!

• Like 1

Many in China travel around the country for New Year to meet up with family. It's a busy travelling time. This could escalate across the country and be out of control fast.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe the people she cares about are elderly and young?!

Then they still have a very minimal chance of being effected. It's just the usual hysterical tabloid reaction.

Just now, Harvsky said:

IMany in China travel around the country for New Year to meet up with family. This could escalate across the country and be out of control fast.

I'm in Soho at the weekend, Chinese New Year? OMG JAMES BOND'S GOING TO DIE!

26 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Because people in question work in industries that cater directly to Chinese tourists and expats + the medical care in the country is poor. With the Lunar New Year approaching, mass travel is to be expected and the chances of the virus spreading among certain groups increases, especially as it's adapting and mutating. Don't know if you remember the outbreak of SARS but it ended up killing around 800 people (mortality of 10%) and not only those who were elderly/young or had pre-existing health conditions. MERS has a mortality of at least 35%. This new strain comes from the same family of coronaviruses and appears to be more contagious. No need to panic but people who have a relatively high chance of being exposed to it are understandably starting to worry a bit.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Because people in question work in industries that cater directly to Chinese tourists and expats + the medical care in the country is poor. With the Lunar New Year approaching, mass travel is to be expected and the chances of the virus spreading among certain groups increases, especially as it's adapting and mutating. Don't know if you remember the outbreak of SARS but it ended up killing around 800 people (mortality of 10%) and not only those who were elderly/young or had pre-existing health conditions. MERS has a mortality of at least 35%. This new strain comes from the same family of coronaviruses and appears to be more contagious. No need to panic but people who have a relatively high chance of being exposed to it are understandably starting to worry a bit. 

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't meaning to belittle your obviously very real concern. Just more the British press with headlines like 'KILLER VIRUS HEADING TO UK' do not help matters and are just preying on people's concerns.

The amount of people effected so quickly is a concern but still a fairly low death number of 17, it may well prove to be highly infectious but not so deadly. Hopefully.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Think Liverpool need a mid winter break to Wuhan.

Think United need a mid winter break to a house fire tbh

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Think United need a mid winter break to a house fire tbh

We’re already being burned to the ground. Pass the petrol.

• Haha 1

China's shut down Huangang, as well as Wuhan, to stop the spread of the virus.