talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@nudge since this is probably a better place to talk about coronavirus in Iran than the Asian football thread xD

Qom (where the first instances of the virus) isn't too far from Arak - about the same distance as Qom is from Tehran... but considering how quickly the virus seems to spread, it's pretty concerning. Because Arak's an industrial hub  - so you've got tons of people and things coming and going from the city.

Hopefully the virus stays the fuck away from my gran in Shiraz & hopefully she doesn't travel to Tehran anytime soon (but I know she goes back and forth between the two cities pretty regularly).

18 cases and 4 deaths in Iran as of now. 

Iran's health ministry: "Based on existing reports, the spread of coronavirus started in Qom [and] has now reached several cities ... including Tehran, Babol, Arak, Isfahan, Rasht and other cities and it's possible that it exists in all cities in Iran" - Reuters

New cases have been popping up in the last 3 days everywhere, South Korea is particularly affected as they registered over a 100 of new cases in the last 48 hours. Will post the numbers/graph when I'm on my laptop. 

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Also, any chance this spreads to South America? I'm gonna be in Peru by the end of the weekend and gonna stay there for a month.

If there is any country in South America with links to China though it's Peru :/ 

I don't think the potential spread in South America would be directly linked to China tbh. If it happens then it's more likely to be imported cases by individual travelers and at this point it is pretty much localised and contained in most countries outside China - although there have been a few outbreaks of a somewhat larger scale in the last few days (e.g. South Korea; Japan). I honestly wouldn't worry if I were you. 

• Subscriber

Alright so here's an update... I'm not doing the regular updates with daily deltas from China anymore as they've been changing the definitions of confirmed and suspected cases back and forth so as a result their data has been a mess that's impossible to analyse in any sensible way. Their current reported number of total cases is 75465 as of now; with 2236 deaths, 11633 patients in serious or critical condition and 18264 recoveries.

Moving to international cases outside of mainland China (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan), there's currently (as of 15:30 CET) 1345 confirmed cases and 14 deaths in 32 countries + the cruise ship Diamond Princess (the cruise ship cases now have their own separate category as the huge number of cases on it was skewing the Japanese total too much.) There has been a sudden spike in cumulative number of cases in South Korea in the last 48+ hours as it went from 30 odd cases to over 200; mostly related to the outbreak in a Shincheonji religious sect. That makes South Korea the country with the most confirmed cases outside of mainland China followed by Japan. The situation in Iran warrants monitoring as well as they recorded their first case two days ago and already have 4 fatalities as of today.

JQMe4Ul.png

RiyVHax.png

fQRmmt1.png

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Alright so here's an update... I'm not doing the regular updates with daily deltas from China anymore as they've been changing the definitions of confirmed and suspected cases back and forth so as a result their data has been a mess that's impossible to analyse in any sensible way. Their current reported number of total cases is 75465 as of now; with 2236 deaths, 11633 patients in serious or critical condition and 18264 recoveries.

Moving to international cases outside of mainland China (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan), there's currently (as of 15:30 CET) 1345 confirmed cases and 14 deaths in 32 countries + the cruise ship Diamond Princess (the cruise ship cases now have their own separate category as the huge number of cases on it was skewing the Japanese total too much.) There has been a sudden spike in cumulative number of cases in South Korea in the last 48+ hours as it went from 30 odd cases to over 200; mostly related to the outbreak in a Shincheonji religious sect. That makes South Korea the country with the most confirmed cases outside of mainland China followed by Japan. The situation in Iran warrants monitoring as well as they recorded their first case two days ago and already have 4 fatalities as of today.

JQMe4Ul.png

RiyVHax.png

fQRmmt1.png

Idk if you've seen this but: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-hit-with-sixth-case-of-coronavirus-after-woman-returns-from-iran/

This woman came back from Iran and came back with the virus. This might indicate there are more infected people in Iran than we know about (which I would assume, considering how long you can go without showing symptoms so if we're now seeing more cases develop out of Iran... that's an issue). 

And Lebanon's got cases now: https://news.yahoo.com/lebanon-confirms-first-case-coronavirus-144847635.html - after flights from Qom came in.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk if you've seen this but: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-hit-with-sixth-case-of-coronavirus-after-woman-returns-from-iran/

This woman came back from Iran and came back with the virus. This might indicate there are more infected people in Iran than we know about (which I would assume, considering how long you can go without showing symptoms so if we're now seeing more cases develop out of Iran... that's an issue). 

And Lebanon's got cases now: https://news.yahoo.com/lebanon-confirms-first-case-coronavirus-144847635.html - after flights from Qom came in.

Definitely; it's highly unlikely for someone to get the virus after traveling to a country if there are only a handful of cases there... But at least Iran seems to be pretty transparent in reporting the cases/deaths - something that can't be said about some other countries.

It's also still unclear how long the incubation period actually is; there are examples of as short as 3 days to as long as 24 which has been more of an exception so far but the latest outbreak in that Korean religious cult is a bit worrisome as it's suspected that most of the infected there caught the virus in the end of January and only started showing symptoms now. 

Italy just confirmed 10 new cases as well. There has been the total of 146 new cases outside of China so far today; highest since January 13th when the countries started reporting it. I bet that in the next week or two the number of international cases will keep on rising.

7 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Also, any chance this spreads to South America? I'm gonna be in Peru by the end of the weekend and gonna stay there for a month.

If there is any country in South America with links to China though it's Peru :/ 

Up to this point the current dengue outbreak looks more worrying in Peru than the coronavirus one.

Edited by Kowabunga
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Well it's in Canada right now, so theoretically you could bring it over :ph34r:

But yeah, there's definitely a chance this can spread to South America. How likely is it? I don't think there's anyone in the world who can tell you that - far too many variables.

Updated stats from the CDC for Corvid-19 in the US. 

COVID-19: Confirmed Cases in the United States*†
People under Investigation (PUI) in the United States
Travel-related 11
Person-to-person spread 2
Total confirmed cases 13
Total tested 413
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Updated stats from the CDC for Corvid-19 in the US. 

COVID-19: Confirmed Cases in the United States*†
People under Investigation (PUI) in the United States
Travel-related 11
Person-to-person spread 2
Total confirmed cases 13
Total tested 413

14th case has just been confirmed in Sacramento.

Plus 21 confirmed cases in repatriated citizens from Wuhan and the cruise ship. 

• Subscriber

@Eco: Just saw this. Apparently one of the passengers from the cruise ship admitted on live TV that she and her husband lied about testing negative and not having symptoms in order to get on that repatriation flight back to the US O.o

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wow, it's selfish and ruthless towards others to deny having symptoms to evade quarantine, I'm more surprised about being stupid enough to admit it on TV, though.

Somehow she even looks proud of that too xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well some Ukrainian citizens didn't like the fact that people flown in from Wuhan, China, were going to be placed in their town. There were protests and riots as you can read from the following BBC report:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51581805

Ukrainians just love to riot don't they xD I must say their tradition of parliamentary brawling is at least slightly amusing. This...not so much.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ukrainians just love to riot don't they xD I must say their tradition of parliamentary brawling is at least slightly amusing. This...not so much.

Hahaha...I think the traditional brawls in parliament(yes there have been that many!) are a cause of embarrassment to many of the more educated Ukrainians. 

Here are just a couple of clips for amusement sake, lol

This is how Ukrainian Far Right and Far Left politicians deal with their disputes in Ukraine! Lyashko and Boyko at their finest!(Nooot!)xD

Above, Avakov(Armenian) and Saakashvili(Georgian) play water games at a Ukrainian Government meeting!:ph34r:

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hahaha...I think the traditional brawls in parliament(yes there have been that many!) are a cause of embarrassment to many of the more educated Ukrainians. 

Here are just a couple of clips for amusement sake, lol

This is how Ukrainian Far Right and Far Left politicians deal with their disputes in Ukraine! Lyashko and Boyko at their finest!(Nooot!)xD

Above, Avakov(Armenian) and Saakashvili(Georgian) play water games at a Ukrainian Government meeting!:ph34r:

xD that's the reason I was kind of looking forward to Klitschko's spell in the parliament; would have made the fighting more interesting with his left hook - straight right technique. But he disappointed by just watching it from the sidelines :(xD 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

xD that's the reason I was kind of looking forward to Klitschko's spell in the parliament; would have made the fighting more interesting with his left hook - straight right technique. But he disappointed by just watching it from the sidelines :(xD 

Yes the big man and former champ showed too much sportsmanship. As a lot of those idiots in parliament could have done with getting knocked out by him!xD

That's not to say that Klitschko is one of the best politicians out there, but you get my point.;)

Edited by Michael

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

@Eco: Just saw this. Apparently one of the passengers from the cruise ship admitted on live TV that she and her husband lied about testing negative and not having symptoms in order to get on that repatriation flight back to the US O.o

image.png.0964e8afcd6c91061adf52ea7f82467e.png

This sums up my reaction. For anyone to not treat this as something that could potentially be spread to everyone you know and affect people around you is just callous behavior and imo should come with repercussions. Yes it horrible to be quarantined but putting the large population at risk is stupid and reckless.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

image.png.0964e8afcd6c91061adf52ea7f82467e.png

This sums up my reaction. For anyone to not treat this as something that could potentially be spread to everyone you know and affect people around you is just callous behavior and imo should come with repercussions. Yes it horrible to be quarantined but putting the large population at risk is stupid and reckless.

I mean they are getting quarantined one way or another... I also find it very weird that the health officials relied on self-report of the passengers on their health status.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

I mean they are getting quarantined one way or another... I also find it very weird that the health officials relied on self-report of the passengers on their health status.

This is odd to me too. As a healthworker you shouldn't believe what anyone says during a quarantine. Maybe making more people watch the The Thing before you send them out in the field will teach them the importance of running your own tests versus believing what anyone says. 

• Haha 1