talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

Latest update from China:

24363 confirmed cases (+3892 since yesterday) - 3219 of those in serious or critical condition (+431).
23260 suspected cases (+46).
491 deaths (+66).
892 recoveries (+260).

252154 close contacts of the infected have been tracked (+31139); 18457 of those have been cleared (+5702); 185555 are under medical observation (+14226).

The average number of recoveries per day is increasing further with the average number of deaths per day staying pretty constant (about 4 times lower than the number of recoveries).

The total of international cases (including Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau) has risen to 228 (+29) from 189 which is a significant increase compared to yesterday when only 6 new cases were reported within 24 hours; and the biggest increase to date. The biggest contribution to the new total comes from Japan (13 new cases; 10 of those have been just confirmed to be in a cruise ship moored off Yokohama near Tokyo with 3500+ passengers under quarantine and being tested (so there might be a further update tomorrow), Singapore and Thailand (6 new cases each).

F0YDejg.png

Visualised map of confirmed cases (click to enlarge for better view):

TV7mBQ3.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, nudge said:

Latest update from China:

24363 confirmed cases (+3892 since yesterday) - 3219 of those in serious or critical condition (+431).
23260 suspected cases (+46).
491 deaths (+66).
892 recoveries (+260).

252154 close contacts of the infected have been tracked (+31139); 18457 of those have been cleared (+5702); 185555 are under medical observation (+14226).

Visualised map of confirmed cases (click to enlarge for better view):

TV7mBQ3.jpg

If you look at that map and use a bit of inference it seems like the spread of the virus has propagated faster through air travel than a country being the actual neighbor of China. Why do I say this? See that little color marker in the middle of the Arabian Penisula? The only way its getting there is through air-travel. I am also thinking that while the two countries in North America seem to look worse than they are because of the color markers (its a country marker not a city marker) that we're not going to see Africa get severely affected by this in the northern regions but more in the south. I think this also highlights another important point which is how air-travel works during festival season and maybe how WHO and other health organizations can use it to back-track and find out possibilities of outbreaks before they happen.

Do we know if Mexico has seen any cases yet?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120643/uber-coronavirus-mexico-accounts-suspension

Seems like its possible but this is a tech website so I am not putting too much stock in what they say.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

If you look at that map and use a bit of inference it seems like the spread of the virus has propagated faster through air travel than a country being the actual neighbor of China. Why do I say this? See that little color marker in the middle of the Arabian Penisula? The only way its getting there is through air-travel. I am also thinking that while the two countries in North America seem to look worse than they are because of the color markers (its a country marker not a city marker) that we're not going to see Africa get severely affected by this in the northern regions but more in the south. I think this also highlights another important point which is how air-travel works during festival season and maybe how WHO and other health organizations can use it to back-track and find out possibilities of outbreaks before they happen.

Do we know if Mexico has seen any cases yet?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/3/21120643/uber-coronavirus-mexico-accounts-suspension

Seems like its possible but this is a tech website so I am not putting too much stock in what they say.

Absolutely! There's a good research paper in The Lancet published a few days ago; it's worth a read overall but they also analyse the risk of spread outside Wuhan based on both domestic and international transport links and are pretty much saying the same. Here's the link to the article if you're interested: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext .

This is the list of the cities outside mainland China that had the greatest volume of incoming flights from Wuhan based in January and February last year:

RCYi5Z7.png

And here's the actual data from this year provided by SCMP:

e9b91rM.png

So it's definitely not surprising that Thailand, Singapore, Japan, South Korea and Hongkong now have the most confirmed cases outside mainland China and might be the most susceptible to localised outbreaks outside China. 

University of Southampton also published a nice set of data evaluating air travel destinations from the 18 high risk cities in mainland China over three months period before during and after the Lunar New Year mapping the cities under the highest perceived risk in all continents (https://www.worldpop.org/resources/docs/china/WorldPop-coronavirus-spread-risk-analysis-v1-25Jan.pdf). 

ahSxVGs.png

5S7X68j.png

Regarding Mexico: there haven't been any confirmed cases so far as much as I'm aware.

I didn't have enough time to map the cities affected so just did a quick map chart yesterday highlighting the countries with confirmed cases from my spreadsheet. Certainly not ideal as countries with a huge landmass make it look worse despite still having a few cases only (e.g. Canada; Russia). I'll try to make a new one mapping the cities instead when the new data from China is released tonight!

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

5S7X68j.png

Regarding Mexico: there haven't been any confirmed cases so far as much as I'm aware.

I didn't have enough time to map the cities affected so just did a quick map chart yesterday highlighting the countries with confirmed cases from my spreadsheet. Certainly not ideal as countries with a huge landmass make it look worse despite still having a few cases only (e.g. Canada; Russia). I'll try to make a new one mapping the cities instead when the new data from China is released tonight!

I havent heard of any African quarantine provisions yet on air travel so I am wondering when we'll see it touch there. Although I still think it will be South Africa vs Northern Africa. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I havent heard of any African quarantine provisions yet on air travel so I am wondering when we'll see it touch there. Although I still think it will be South Africa vs Northern Africa. 

Apparently only two labs in the whole sub-Saharan Africa are able to test for the virus; one in South Africa and one in Senegal. So even if there are infected cases there already we're unlikely to learn about them until later if a significant outbreak starts. The only African case I've heard about so far is a Cameroonian student in China.

A few airlines in Africa suspended their China flights but overall there's only the usual symptom check going in the airports. Most African countries that are the most vulnerable and susceptible to a potential outbreak are not willing to severe their ties with China due to their economies relying heavily on the Chinese money.

• Administrator

It's been reported that infamous chemical and biological weapons testing site Porton Down (YouTube: "Geographics Porton Down") is analysing 2019-nCoV in its labs. This is the site that created CS Gas (tear gas) and VX nerve agent, one of the most lethal substances ever created. I suspect the site is considered safe enough for testing, however I wouldn't want to be one of their test animals or dare I say service men if they are still using human guinea pigs

• Subscriber

Latest update:

28060 confirmed cases (+3697 since yesterday) - 3859 of those in serious or critical condition (+640).
24702 suspected cases (+1442).
564 deaths (+73).
1153 recoveries (+261).

282813 close contacts of the infected have been tracked (+30659); 186354 are under medical observation (+799).

Pretty much the same trends as in the last few days.

The total of international cases (including Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau) has risen to 258 (+30). The biggest contribution to the new total comes from Japan once again (12 new cases; 45 in total). There have been 10 new cases in the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Yokohama and there's also another one (World Dream) docked Hong Kong's Kai Tak Cruise Terminal with around 30 staff members reportedly suffering from the symptoms. That's more than 5300 people in total on the two ships so the numbers of confirmed cases might grow again in the next few day. Singapore, South Korea and Hongkong have also confirmed several new cases each. New case in the US (Wisconsin).

LjTGGGM.png

• Upvote 3

• Administrator

That baby contracting Coronavirus is true :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51395655

A Chinese newborn has been diagnosed with the new coronavirus just 30 hours after birth, the youngest case recorded so far, state media said.

The baby was born on 2 February in Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus.

The baby's mother tested positive before she gave birth. It is unclear how the disease was transmitted - in the womb, or after birth.

Only a handful of children have come down with the virus, which has killed 563 people and infected 28,018.

State media outlet Xinhua reported news of the infection late on Wednesday.

It added that the baby, who weighed 3.25kg at birth (7lbs 2oz), was now in a stable condition and under observation.

Medical experts say it could be a case where the infection was contracted in the womb.

"This reminds us to pay attention to mother-to-child being a possible route of coronavirus transmission," chief physician of Wuhan Children Hospital's neonatal medicine department, Zeng Lingkong, told Reuters.

But it is also possible that the baby was infected after birth from having close contact with the mother.

"It's quite possible that the baby picked it up very conventionally - by inhaling virus droplets that came from the mother coughing," Stephen Morse, an epidemiologist at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, told Business Insider.

Sounds encouraging the baby is stable though.

• Subscriber

Latest update:

31211 confirmed cases (+3151 since yesterday) - 4821 of those in serious or critical condition (+962).
26359 suspected cases (+1657).
637 deaths (+73).
1542 recoveries (+389).

314028 close contacts of the infected have been tracked (+31215); 186045 are under medical observation (-309).

The trends haven't changed much since yesterday; there has been a somewhat significant increase in patients in serious/critical condition and also a quite significant increase in recoveries. 

The total of international cases (including Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau) has risen to 320 (+62). That's the biggest daily increase since the reporting started and it can once again be attributed mostly to the new cases in the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Yokohama - they just confirmed 41 new cases when I was making the graph and that makes it 61 total cases in the cruise ship and thus 86 total cases in Japan. New cases have been recorded in Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hongkong, Malaysia and Vietnam in Asia while Europe reported new cases (1 case each) in Germany, Italy and the UK. Australia (1) and Canada (2) have also confirmed new cases earlier today.

Br9NrGx.png

DlSktm8.png

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Also an update on the nationalities of the infected on the cruise ship in Japan:

- 28 Japanese
- 11 American
- 7 Australian
- 7 Canadian
- 3 Chinese
- 1 each from: New Zealand, Taiwan, Philippines, Argentina, UK

61 in total from 273 tested passengers. The rest of 3500+ will remain in quarantine for 14 days.

46 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also an update on the nationalities of the infected on the cruise ship in Japan:

- 28 Japanese
- 11 American
- 7 Australian
- 7 Canadian
- 3 Chinese

61 in total from 273 tested passengers. The rest of 3500+ will remain in quarantine for 14 days.

Nippon please keep him/her there. :ph34r:

Edited by Berserker

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

- 28 Japanese
- 11 American
- 7 Australian
- 7 Canadian
- 3 Chinese

Nippon please keep him/her there. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Latest update:

31211 confirmed cases (+3151 since yesterday) - 4821 of those in serious or critical condition (+962).
26359 suspected cases (+1657).
637 deaths (+73).
1542 recoveries (+389).

314028 close contacts of the infected have been tracked (+31215); 186045 are under medical observation (-309).

The trends haven't changed much since yesterday; there has been a somewhat significant increase in patients in serious/critical condition and also a quite significant increase in recoveries. 

The total of international cases (including Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau) has risen to 320 (+62). That's the biggest daily increase since the reporting started and it can once again be attributed mostly to the new cases in the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Yokohama - they just confirmed 41 new cases when I was making the graph and that makes it 61 total cases in the cruise ship and thus 86 total cases in Japan. New cases have been recorded in Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hongkong, Malaysia and Vietnam in Asia while Europe reported new cases (1 case each) in Germany, Italy and the UK. Australia (1) and Canada (2) have also confirmed new cases earlier today.

Lo1BEiu.png

Dtnj8s3.png

😮 These are you're own graphs nudge?

3 hours ago, Stan said:

You can definitely tell. 

Belgium, Spain and Sweden are on there twice :ph34r:

But seriously it's bloody great data. This thread is legit a much easier place to get unbiased, undramatised data about the corona virus than any other source I've seen online.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nudge said:

- 28 Japanese
- 11 American
- 7 Australian
- 7 Canadian
- 3 Chinese

That's terrible. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Harry said:

😮 These are you're own graphs nudge?

The ones in the daily updates are, for the most part. When I started posting the updates I was trying to find the graphs to post with the data too but that turned out to be problematic (different update times, overlapping data, etc) so after a while I just started updating my own spreadsheet and make the graphs there. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

You can definitely tell. 

Belgium, Spain and Sweden are on there twice :ph34r:

Crap xD I was wondering why the graph was larger in size than the night before but didn't notice it despite examining it a few times ffs. Will correct it when I'm on the laptop. That's what you get for trying to be smart at 3am :(

• Like 1